Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Releases That Really Do Not Benefit From Hi-Def

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Releases That Really Do Not Benefit From Hi-Def

Old 02-21-09, 08:06 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
dhmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Kissimmee, Florida
Posts: 7,019
Releases That Really Do Not Benefit From Hi-Def

Let me preface this by saying I firmly support Hi-Def and only have HDTVs and prefer Hi-Def releases over SD releases.

---

I was in a store the other day and saw 28 Days Later on Blu-ray. Owning that film on DVD already, I know it was filmed on digital cameras that were SD at best, so there is no extra resolution to be gained from putting it on a Hi-Def format like Blu-ray.

I also think this same thing about most non-CGI animated releases (excluding Pixar, for example). Ignoring bonus features, what's the point of getting them in Hi-Def when there's no extra definition to be gained for the film? For example, Superman: Doomsday is going to look almost exactly the same in SD as it does in HD, so why get it on Blu-ray instead of DVD?


Anyone else agree with me? And are there any other titles that really don't need Hi-Def?

.
dhmac is offline  
Old 02-21-09, 08:07 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,481
Re: Releases That Really Do Not Benefit From Hi-Def

Clerks is fine in sd.
mhg83 is offline  
Old 02-21-09, 08:16 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 21,870
Re: Releases That Really Do Not Benefit From Hi-Def

Originally Posted by dhmac View Post
I was in a store the other day and saw 28 Days Later on Blu-ray. Owning that film on DVD already, I know it was filmed on digital cameras that were SD at best, so there is no extra resolution to be gained from putting it on a Hi-Def format like Blu-ray.

I also think this same thing about most non-CGI animated releases (excluding Pixar, for example). Ignoring bonus features, what's the point of getting them in Hi-Def when there's no extra definition to be gained for the film? For example, Superman: Doomsday is going to look almost exactly the same in SD as it does in HD, so why get it on Blu-ray instead of DVD?
The final scene of 28 Days Later was shot on film and benefits from Blu-ray. It also contains a lossless audio track that dvd could never match.

The BD of Superman: Doomsday obliterates the dvd version in picture quality. I should know as I own both and compared them extensively.
PhantomStranger is offline  
Old 02-21-09, 08:27 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,916
Re: Releases That Really Do Not Benefit From Hi-Def

I don't see much of a benefit with 2D cartoons in High Definition. I can tell it looks better but it's all still meh to me.
PopcornTreeCt is offline  
Old 02-21-09, 09:00 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
tylergfoster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,540
Re: Releases That Really Do Not Benefit From Hi-Def

Yeah, as someone noted indirectly, this suggests that BD is entirely a visual medium, when it's equally aural. Even if a film isn't a visual wonder, lossless audio could be a perfect reason to upgrade.
tylergfoster is offline  
Old 02-21-09, 09:03 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
darkside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 19,847
Re: Releases That Really Do Not Benefit From Hi-Def

This will probably not be true of any DVD. Blu-ray doesn't just have improvements in resolution. It also has improvement in color and sound quality. Pretty much anything is an improvement over the DVD. Even a 16mm film like Clerks will probably has some minor advantage.

That said will every film be worth double dipping for? The answer for me is definitely no. There were many titles I didn't double dip on until I could get the HD DVDs for $5 which was close to the value I got when reselling the DVDs. So even though there is an improvement I'm fine with having most of my collection on DVD.
darkside is offline  
Old 02-21-09, 09:54 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Midlothian, VA
Posts: 2,659
Re: Releases That Really Do Not Benefit From Hi-Def

Originally Posted by dhmac View Post
Anyone else agree with me? And are there any other titles that really don't need Hi-Def?
.
Unless it was originally shot in standard definition video with lossy DD for audio, then no, I do not agree.....
Film has a higher resolution than what is considered HD video, therefore anything shot on film will look better in HD as long as it is well transferred and compressed....
WMAangel is offline  
Old 02-21-09, 10:31 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Lower Beaver, Iowa
Posts: 10,522
Re: Releases That Really Do Not Benefit From Hi-Def

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
I don't see much of a benefit with 2D cartoons in High Definition.
Having just watched one of the "Futurama" movies and "The Simpsons Movie" on Blu-ray, I couldn't disagree more. In addition to sharper and smoother edges, the colors popped in a way that the DVD versions don't.

I can tell it looks better but it's all still meh to me.
You're contradicting yourself. Way to go.
Mr. Salty is offline  
Old 02-21-09, 11:05 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: United States
Posts: 2,506
Re: Releases That Really Do Not Benefit From Hi-Def

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
I don't see much of a benefit with 2D cartoons in High Definition. I can tell it looks better but it's all still meh to me.
I can tell. I popped in my DVD of The Simpsons movie and then my Blu Ray of Futurama: Bender's Game, and the difference was definetly their. The detail was much great in Bender's Games (Blu Ray) then The Simpsons Movie (DVD).
Blu Man is offline  
Old 02-21-09, 11:06 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: United States
Posts: 2,506
Re: Releases That Really Do Not Benefit From Hi-Def

Originally Posted by darkside View Post
This will probably not be true of any DVD. Blu-ray doesn't just have improvements in resolution. It also has improvement in color and sound quality. Pretty much anything is an improvement over the DVD. Even a 16mm film like Clerks will probably has some minor advantage.

That said will every film be worth double dipping for? The answer for me is definitely no. There were many titles I didn't double dip on until I could get the HD DVDs for $5 which was close to the value I got when reselling the DVDs. So even though there is an improvement I'm fine with having most of my collection on DVD.
I've only double dipped twice. Transformer's and Batman Begins.
Blu Man is offline  
Old 02-21-09, 11:49 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
DeanoBKN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 5,240
Re: Releases That Really Do Not Benefit From Hi-Def

In cases where there isn't a huge jump, I usually wait till there is a sale before I upgrade. Regardless, the sound is usually a great improvement.
DeanoBKN is offline  
Old 02-22-09, 01:19 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,916
Re: Releases That Really Do Not Benefit From Hi-Def

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty View Post
Having just watched one of the "Futurama" movies and "The Simpsons Movie" on Blu-ray, I couldn't disagree more. In addition to sharper and smoother edges, the colors popped in a way that the DVD versions don't.


You're contradicting yourself. Way to go.
When I said "I don't see much benefit" meaning The Simpsons Movie (Amazon price) on DVD - $13.99 and on Blu-ray - $24.99. The picture is better but not worth the $11.00. That's just me though.
PopcornTreeCt is offline  
Old 02-22-09, 11:23 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
LickTheABCs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Viva BuyMoria!
Posts: 3,464
Re: Releases That Really Do Not Benefit From Hi-Def

In my 26 years on this Earth I've only learned a few things worth remembering, one of them being that ANYTHING and EVERYTHING benefits from High Definition.

From South Park to Lawrence of Arabia.

and if the PQ isn't enough the Audio is (much, much) better too.
LickTheABCs is offline  
Old 02-22-09, 11:26 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 30,401
Re: Releases That Really Do Not Benefit From Hi-Def

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs View Post
In my 26 years on this Earth I've only learned a few things worth remembering, one of them being that ANYTHING and EVERYTHING benefits from High Definition.

and if the PQ isn't enough the Audio is (much, much) better too.
What about a a HD version of your parents doing in - would you watch it?
Gizmo is offline  
Old 02-22-09, 11:30 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pa
Posts: 11,841
Re: Releases That Really Do Not Benefit From Hi-Def

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
When I said "I don't see much benefit" meaning The Simpsons Movie (Amazon price) on DVD - $13.99 and on Blu-ray - $24.99. The picture is better but not worth the $11.00. That's just me though.
The Simpsons is a terrible example though. I've been waiting for a price drop on it way to long. They'll probably have a rerelease out on shelves before this one hits under $19.99.
DthRdrX is offline  
Old 02-22-09, 11:53 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,586
Re: Releases That Really Do Not Benefit From Hi-Def

I'd say that if you're one to notice compression artifacts (specifically that MPEG-2 "ringing" around the edges of on-screen text and some surfaces) then having that all disappear is a benefit.

"Firefly" may have SD effects shots but without those compression issues, they may look soft because of their resolution, but they look so much cleaner and all-around better on BD.
Nick Martin is offline  
Old 02-22-09, 12:15 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
PatrickMcCart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 1,030
Re: Releases That Really Do Not Benefit From Hi-Def

BluRay can make everything from VHS sources to IMAX look better than on DVD.

For NTSC/PAL origin stuff like Monty Python's Flying Circus or All in the Family, there's the enhanced image quality that comes from better compression. Not upscaled to 1080p, but just using the better codecs is an improvement.

Anything shot in 35mm will always be enhanced. Don't forget that HD is basically 1/4th the average resolution of 35mm. Excuses about age are ridiculous. 2-D animation shot in 35mm has always been worked out for huge projection. Fantasia wasn't shot for TV screens (nor was it for the awful IMAX blowup).

BluRay is especially a great way to keep grainier films looking like film instead of noise-covered. DVD quality MPEG2 simply can't handle film grain as well unless it's ridiculously high in bitrate like Fantoma's Kenneth Anger DVDs (only 90 minutes of content, but literally maxed out onto DVD-9s because of the grainy 16mm sources).

Back to VHS... it's as simple as compression improvements that make it better than a regular DVD. Of course, it's still VHS...

Last edited by PatrickMcCart; 02-22-09 at 12:18 PM.
PatrickMcCart is offline  
Old 02-24-09, 11:49 AM
  #18  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 119
Re: Releases That Really Do Not Benefit From Hi-Def

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
I don't see much of a benefit with 2D cartoons in High Definition. I can tell it looks better but it's all still meh to me.
Wait until you see Pinocchio next month! You can see the brushstrokes on the backgrounds!!
Raffurar is offline  
Old 02-24-09, 12:17 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 6,608
Re: Releases That Really Do Not Benefit From Hi-Def

Originally Posted by PatrickMcCart View Post
Back to VHS... it's as simple as compression improvements that make it better than a regular DVD. Of course, it's still VHS...
Not that it even matters, but I think you're wrong on the practical reality of this hypothetical. A VHS source just doesn't have enough information to compress to the point of having noticeable compression artifacts, even on DVD. The better compression available on Blu-ray would provide no perceivable benefit over DVD in this case.
kefrank is offline  
Old 02-24-09, 12:44 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
d2cheer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 9,595
Re: Releases That Really Do Not Benefit From Hi-Def

Point Break doesn't really look any better either if you ask me.
d2cheer is offline  
Old 02-24-09, 01:24 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mr. Cinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 18,044
Re: Releases That Really Do Not Benefit From Hi-Def

I compared the DVD and BD of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest last night and had a difficult time finding many improvements in the BD.
Mr. Cinema is offline  
Old 02-24-09, 02:07 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
LickTheABCs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Viva BuyMoria!
Posts: 3,464
Re: Releases That Really Do Not Benefit From Hi-Def

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
What about a a HD version of your parents doing in - would you watch it?


...still contemplating...
LickTheABCs is offline  
Old 02-24-09, 02:24 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Illadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,971
Re: Releases That Really Do Not Benefit From Hi-Def

Depends on screen size too.

If you're watching on a 42-inch plasma, you might not see a difference. Blown up on my 100 inch front projection system, I can see a huge difference.
Oliver Clothesoff is offline  
Old 02-24-09, 03:08 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,926
Re: Releases That Really Do Not Benefit From Hi-Def

B5Erik has created a master list thread for DVD titles people report as holding up especially well/poorly compared to the BD release if anyone is interested in making additions (eg. the aforementioned One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Point Break).
abintra is offline  
Old 02-24-09, 03:23 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,586
Re: Releases That Really Do Not Benefit From Hi-Def

Originally Posted by Oliver Clothesoff View Post
Depends on screen size too.

If you're watching on a 42-inch plasma, you might not see a difference. Blown up on my 100 inch front projection system, I can see a huge difference.

Don't slight us guys with 42" plasmas.

There is indeed a difference, and I'm not even running full 1080p.

My plasma is a 720p set and there is most certainly a step up in quality that is night and day compared to DVD.
Nick Martin is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.