Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Original Motion Picture Collection - 5/12/09

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Trek: Original Motion Picture Collection - 5/12/09

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-09, 02:48 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Star Trek: Original Motion Picture Collection - 5/12/09

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Nice looking set, but without the EE of I and II, and the loss of some of the 2-disc set bonus features, I'll wait until a definitive set is released before upgrading.
I very much agree. I love the standard dvd set of the 10 movies. I would love to get the set on blu-ray, but only if it had the same versions of each movie along with all of the extra features. I like the extended versions. I don't see why they couldn't do both versions on the blu-rays if they used seamless branching. Even if there wasn't any new features, and it was just a carry-over from the standard dvds, I'd buy a blu-ray set for the simple reason of the anti scratch coating they put on the discs. (I've had several of my favourite movies/shows pick up terrible skipping because of scratches that didn't seem to be all that bad) That said, I will probably one day end up re-buying every one of my dvds in blu-ray, but to start, I'll only get my absolute favourite movies and pick up the rest later. Like with the Doctor Who dvds. I buy the Dalek stories first, then after that, whatever looks good.
Old 05-13-09, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

because the special effects for the extended versions of these movies were done on video in 480p so they have to go back and essentially redo all the special effects for the additional scenes.

keep in mind also there are those of us who perfer owning the original theatrical versions of films, and quite frankly iam excited i can finally for the first time on any home video format own star trek vi in its original theatrical aspect ratio of 2:35:1 and the original theatrical edition of the motion picture.
Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
I very much agree. I love the standard dvd set of the 10 movies. I would love to get the set on blu-ray, but only if it had the same versions of each movie along with all of the extra features. I like the extended versions. I don't see why they couldn't do both versions on the blu-rays if they used seamless branching. Even if there wasn't any new features, and it was just a carry-over from the standard dvds, I'd buy a blu-ray set for the simple reason of the anti scratch coating they put on the discs. (I've had several of my favourite movies/shows pick up terrible skipping because of scratches that didn't seem to be all that bad) That said, I will probably one day end up re-buying every one of my dvds in blu-ray, but to start, I'll only get my absolute favourite movies and pick up the rest later. Like with the Doctor Who dvds. I buy the Dalek stories first, then after that, whatever looks good.
Old 05-13-09, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
because the special effects for the extended versions of these movies were done on video in 480p so they have to go back and essentially redo all the special effects for the additional scenes.
Only the first movie has new VFX, which were rendered at 480p as you say. The extended versions of ST2 and ST6 don't have any new FX.

keep in mind also there are those of us who perfer owning the original theatrical versions of films, and quite frankly iam excited i can finally for the first time on any home video format own star trek vi in its original theatrical aspect ratio of 2:35:1 and the original theatrical edition of the motion picture.
Agreed. I'm one of those rare people who prefers the theatrical cut of TMP to the Director's Edition.
Old 05-13-09, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I am in the minority as I REALLY enjoy TMP. I prefer the DC to the TC and would have preferred that had been released as opposed to the TC on BD.
Old 05-18-09, 08:32 AM

I just picked up the 6 movie set at Fry's this weekend for $59.99. That's a bargain no matter how you look at it, extended cuts or not. The round table "Summit" conversation disc is a terrific bonus...
Old 05-18-09, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Agreed. I'm one of those rare people who prefers the theatrical cut of TMP to the Director's Edition.
I prefer the TV Version to either of them.
Old 05-18-09, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Carcosa
I just picked up the 6 movie set at Fry's this weekend for $59.99. That's a bargain no matter how you look at it, extended cuts or not. The round table "Summit" conversation disc is a terrific bonus...
How does Fry's consistently have the most insane deals!?? I want one in my area!
Old 05-18-09, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
How does Fry's consistently have the most insane deals!?? I want one in my area!
I know, it's ridiculously unfair. I need a Fry's/Costco double-punch-knock-out of Best Buy/Sam's.
Old 06-04-16, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I know I'm a little late to the game, but....

Regarding the extras:
Missing from the previous 2-disc DVD is the Okuda text commentary (though this could be included in the Library Computer access feature).
Has anyone confirmed if the text commentary is indeed included in Library Computer access feature?
Old 06-04-16, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
I know I'm a little late to the game, but....

Regarding the extras:

Has anyone confirmed if the text commentary is indeed included in Library Computer access feature?
Library Computer is an interactive trivia interface where you can select which parts of scenes to learn more about. There is no 1:1 corresponding "Turn on text commentary" feature, but most (if not all) of the info from the text commentary is also covered in Library Computer, just packaged differently.
Old 06-04-16, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks for the info.