Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Pretty Woman BD is first non-LD release of the theatrical cut in the U.S.

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-09, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wanted to give a heads up that the Pretty Woman BD is the original theatrical cut, unlike the previous three U.S. DVD releases which were only the director's cut. You either needed the original P&S laserdisc or the UK DVD to see it previously.

Of course, if you liked the director's cut it's your turn to get screwed since there's no branching on the BD. I hated that version, but ended up buying them all anyway since it's one of my all-time faves.

The disc itself has a decent transfer. Nothing spectacular in the detail department, but it looks like a pretty faithful reproduction with no DNR. Sound is good. Extras are carried over from the 15th anniversary disc. Nice menus.

Last edited by matome; 02-12-09 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-12-09, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Pretty Woman BD is first non-LD release of the theatrical cut in the U.S.

Weird. I could swear I read somewhere that it was DNRed pretty heavily.
Old 02-12-09, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by matome
Just wanted to give a heads up that the Pretty Woman BD is the original theatrical cut, unlike the previous three U.S. DVD releases which were only the director's cut. You either needed the original P&S laserdisc or the UK DVD to see it previously.

Of course, if you liked the director's cut it's your turn to get screwed since there's no branching on the BD. I hated that version, but ended up buying them all anyway since it's one of my all-time faves.

The disc itself has a decent transfer. Nothing spectacular in the detail department, but it looks like a pretty faithful reproduction with no DNR. Sound is good. Extras are carried over from the 15th anniversary disc. Nice menus.
What are the differences? I think I've only seen this once, when I saw it in the theater.
Old 02-12-09, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I think in the original JR takes on three guys at once in a scene.
Old 02-12-09, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From IMDB:
The Director's Cut of "Pretty Woman" features additional dialogue during the first encounter of Edward and Vivian; additonal scenes featuring Carlos the pimp chasing after Vivian for the money Kit owes him; a longer restaurant sequence, and a longer montage of scenes when Edward takes the day off from work to spend more time with Vivian on their last day together.

There is also a scene where Carlos' crew threatens Vivian & Edward outside the bar and Darryl the limo driver flashes his gun. Also additional dialog in the scene where he offers her the strawberries in the hotel room.

As far as DNR goes, I didn't notice any and there is grain visible in some scenes, particularly darker ones.