DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Taken (UK release) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/548320-taken-uk-release.html)

candyrocket786 02-10-09 08:36 AM

Re: Taken (UK release)

I fucking hate Region Coding. :mad:

Daytripper 02-10-09 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by candyrocket786 (Post 9256396)
I fucking hate Region Coding. :mad:

It's just so odd that some BD releases are locked, others aren't. What the fuck!?

bunkaroo 02-10-09 10:15 AM

Somewhere in these corporate offices they have the official coin for deciding whether or not to lock a disc.

RocShemp 02-10-09 03:07 PM

Although you were joking, bunkaroo, I wonder if there isn't a whole lot of truth to that fiction. :mad:

And why is it that region A discs are usually region free and elswhere they're usually locked? :confused:

PopcornTreeCt 02-10-09 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 9257494)
Although you were joking, bunkaroo, I wonder if there isn't a whole lot of truth to that fiction. :mad:

And why is it that region A discs are usually region free and elswhere they're usually locked? :confused:

Sony seems to have a "do as I say not as I do" when it comes to Blu-ray region coding. Can't blame them though.

Dan 02-13-09 01:29 PM

CDWOW still hasn't shipped my copy. :(

manicsounds 02-13-09 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 9257494)

Usually it depends on the company. As I have seen, Universal, Paramount, Warner, and Sony almost always have region free discs.

Disney, MGM-Fox, almost always region code their discs. Taken is a Fox title, so there you go.

pro-bassoonist 02-14-09 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by manicsounds (Post 9265615)
Taken is a Fox title**, so there you go.

Actually, FOX-UK are moving in an entirely new direction which will become clearer in the months to come. For the record, their new releases of Man On Fire and Little Miss Sunshine are both Region-Free.

**Taken is locked because it is owned by EuropaCorp.

Ciao,
Pro-B

pro-bassoonist 02-15-09 12:39 AM

The US release will be out in April. The full specs should be made official shortly.

Pro-B

RocShemp 02-17-09 03:32 PM

Thanks for the update, pro-bassoonist. I so hope we get an unrated cut of this in Region A. This movie is a must purchase for me.

pro-bassoonist 02-17-09 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 9272680)
I so hope we get an unrated cut of this in Region A.

It will be the same EuropaCorp transfer Fox-UK released.

Pro-B

RocShemp 02-17-09 09:44 PM

That means it'll be the uncut one? Awesome! :banana:

By the way, is the transfer on the UK disc the same as on the French disc? I ask because I've heard a lot of great things about the transfer of the French disc but have yet to hear about the UK transfer in terms of actual video quality.

Thanks again, pro-bassoonist.

Dan 02-27-09 10:15 AM

my copy just arrived!
Too bad I can't watch it until later tonight :(
Let's hope AnyDVD HD doesn't have any problems with it.

Dan 02-27-09 05:10 PM

Just finished watching it.
As others have reported (I think), there are no English subs for the non-English dialog, but it really doesn't matter.
The bonus-view content doesn't work on my HTPC though.

Grain 02-28-09 01:31 AM

That's weird the BD doesn't have subs for the non-english lines, the UK DVD does.

PopcornTreeCt 02-28-09 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 9273482)
That means it'll be the uncut one? Awesome! :banana:

By the way, is the transfer on the UK disc the same as on the French disc? I ask because I've heard a lot of great things about the transfer of the French disc but have yet to hear about the UK transfer in terms of actual video quality.

Thanks again, pro-bassoonist.

I thought the UK version was cut.

According to imdb:

Spoiler:

The UK cinema version has an alternate electrocution torture sequence. In the original version, Neeson stabs two metal spikes into the legs of his hostage and connects the jump leads to them. In the UK version, he simply attaches the leads to the metal chair. This is completely different footage redone to secure a lower rating.

RocShemp 02-28-09 02:36 AM

The UK BD is the unrated version of the movie with the spikes through the legs, from what I've read.

Dan 02-28-09 12:28 PM

^ true