Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

How many are still HD-DVD only?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.
View Poll Results: Almost 1 year after HDDVD demise where do you stand?
Still an HD owner, no BD yet
11.38%
Had but disposed of HD format, no BD yet
0.81%
Disposed of HD format, now or still own BD
9.76%
Still own both HD and BD formats
78.05%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

How many are still HD-DVD only?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-09, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: How many are still HD-DVD only?

Originally Posted by KingSmoth
For now I will remain HD only. I currently have about 30 titles, but I'm buying on a regular basis now. I have no problem buying titles for a dead format, because they still work, look great, and are cheap. I bought an A20 off of eBay a few weeks ago for $42 shipped and use it as my primary player.
Since I have decided to quit buying SD-DVDs(other than TV shows), I will make the jump to Blu sometime this year, probably with a stand-alone player.
Originally Posted by Eve Brown
Brought HD and still buying deals. Probably go Blue this year waiting for a good price

But would you pay $33 for an HDDVD that's available for $10 as an SD or $15 as a BD?
Old 01-08-09, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by macnorton
A question for those who are...why did you go HD exclusive to begin with? I am curious as to why...since Blu had the size advantage right from the get go.
At the time I bought my HD DVD player, it was not only $500 cheaper, but a lot of the Blu-ray releases were inferior to their HD DVD counterparts since at the time many Blu-rays were only 25GB, not 50GB.

The PS3 was still months away in the horizon.
Old 01-08-09, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
At the time I bought my HD DVD player, it was not only $500 cheaper, but a lot of the Blu-ray releases were inferior to their HD DVD counterparts since at the time many Blu-rays were only 25GB, not 50GB.

The PS3 was still months away in the horizon.
I am really surprised it came down to price with a lot of you folks. I don't know why I am surprised either...perhaps in my head it seemed like to easy of an answer.

But I digress...thanks to all of you for your replies on that, I appreciate it.
Old 01-08-09, 09:59 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
But would you pay $33 for an HDDVD that's available for $10 as an SD or $15 as a BD?
Where are these $33 HD DVDs at? Nearly half the collection is $10 or less at Fry's or Amazon.
Old 01-08-09, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 205 Likes on 138 Posts

Maybe he meant buying an import HD DVD vs. a domestic BD.
Old 01-08-09, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Maybe he meant buying an import HD DVD vs. a domestic BD.
The example I was using was Bullitt. A cheapo title on both SD and BD. But it was priced at $33. Amazon had a couple sellers at $28 and $38. SOme have come down but for a while MAtrix trilogy was still $100 while everything else was $6. Just not sure what makes people think anything is worth more than a BD or SD counterpart.
Old 01-08-09, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought a HD player but long since returned to Amazon and recently purchased a Sony BD player.

I am still a dvd man since I only purchase absolute Blu-Ray keepers.
Old 01-08-09, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts

I am really surprised it came down to price with a lot of you folks. I don't know why I am surprised either...perhaps in my head it seemed like to easy of an answer.

But I digress...thanks to all of you for your replies on that, I appreciate it.
It was price and the group first to the market for me (the format war provided some insane deals on media). There's also the "Region Free" aspect of the format that allowed many of us to browse for titles overseas; some which I have no desire of replacing (ex. Equilibrium)

I didn't go Blu until a year after the PS3 was released.
Old 01-08-09, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A question for those who are...why did you go HD exclusive to begin with? I am curious as to why...since Blu had the size advantage right from the get go.
My reasons were much the same as mentioned by others above:

• Much less expensive player (HD-A1).

• No "Profile" issues, meaning that all extras on HD DVDs worked on all players from the very beginning (although I hate Universal's "U-control" features).

• Fewer discs with quality issues (but I avoided combos, because a few of those had problems and I refused to pay extra for them). The first release of The Fifth Element on BD would be an example of a crappy early BD release, although that title wasn't of interest to me anyway.

• Vastly more movies of interest to me were on HD DVD than BD.

I still use my HD-A1 as my sole DVD/HD DVD player to this day, although I purchased another as a back-up. I continue to shop for an affordable, fully-functional, BD player, with increasing frustration. At least some of the new ones announced at the CES look promising on features and price. My BD collection is about 24 titles now, despite having no player.
Old 01-08-09, 12:55 PM
Suspended

I don't remember when I went Blu, it was probably soon after I got my first HDDVD player D2 from Costco.

My HDDVDs outnumber Blus at about a 3:2 ratio. I will buy HDDVDs as long as I can find titles that I want. I won't purchase most Blurays until they are around $10 a piece as price is a very major factor in my purchase decisions.

In fact, I am keeping my eye out for an A35/XA2/805 on the real cheap if I can find one.
Old 01-08-09, 01:00 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

The example I was using was Bullitt. A cheapo title on both SD and BD. But it was priced at $33. Amazon had a couple sellers at $28 and $38. SOme have come down but for a while MAtrix trilogy was still $100 while everything else was $6. Just not sure what makes people think anything is worth more than a BD or SD counterpart.
Its only that high on Amazon because Amazon themselves no longer carry it "new" and private sellers are free to mark it up for as much as they want. Supply and demand. Head over to eBay and its under $10. Fry's? $10.

I can make several comparisons to new HD DVDs that Amazon carries vs their BD counterparts where the HD DVD is vastly cheaper.
Old 01-08-09, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have both HD-DVD and Blu-ray and I'm keeping both. My Blu-ray collection just recently surpassed my HD-DVD collection. I have 92 Blu-ray titles and 88 HD-DVD titles.

I'm not going to replace my HD-DVDs and I'm keeping the 4 HD-DVD players I have. My only Blu-ray player is the PS3. I have the XA2, A2, A35, and Xbox 360 drive for HD-DVD.

I got some great deals on HD-DVDs in 2008 and really built a decent collection.

I do prefer Blu-ray and even did before HD-DVD's failure. Mainly because I had fewer problems with the discs. I HATE Universal's HD-DVD combo discs. Good idea but I got several bad discs, the quality control was terrible. Exchanging the bad combo disc always fixed the problem but a spotless new disc shouldn't lock up on you.

Last edited by The Void; 01-08-09 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-08-09, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually have 2 HD-DVD players. The Xbox add-on that I bought when it was released, and an HD-XA1 that I bought for a ridiculous price ($60 new) last year.
I rarely buy HD-DVDs now, but I bought Heroes S1 a couple of weeks ago. And I may buy something else in Fry's, at $5 or lower, in the future. I mean, if the movie is in HD, why not?
And yeah, I have a PS3 with a lot of Blu-Rays.
Old 01-08-09, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For Bullitt, no. The only two imported titles I currently have an interest in spending that much for are T2 and Death Proof steelbook. I already have Death Proof on SD, but the steelbook will be a cool HD item to have. I have T2 Ultimate and Extreme on SD, but considering it is one of my favorite films, I'm willing to throw down that kind of money for an import.
I also think the red cases look better than blue.
Old 01-08-09, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just added 15 new titles to my HD DVD collection. I will continue to do so as long as I can get good deals < $8. The few BD titles I have were all under $8 as well.
Old 01-08-09, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

I bought into HDDVD at exactly the wrong time.....before the mega price drops and bundle packs and rebate eligibility, and after HDDVD disks were harder to find. I got one...*one* disk free.
If I could recoup any of my wasted money on it I would, but I'd be lucky to get 20 bucks for it.
The only way I'll buy an HDDVD disk now is if it's less than four bucks or is a combo disk, so it will at least be usable when my virtual doorstop becomes a real one.
I am using it as an upconverting player, but to me he difference just isn't as eyepopping as many say.
And I'm resisting BD because I don't like the high retail prices, and after getting burned once, I'm twice shy; and most of my DVD collection is TV series that are not offered in HD.
As it is, my going Blue is going to wait till the PS3 has some great games I have to play, or until the disk manufacturers stop making regular DVDs I want to buy (and I get caught up on my backlog.)
Yes I'm bitter, this experience has definitely taught me to avoid being an early adopter.
Old 01-08-09, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HD DVD won me on price. In the end, it was one of the best deals ever.

On the Player side -- They ended up paying me $20 (after selling my Xbox Add-on, $100 in GCs, and Amazon price corrections) for owning a Toshiba A3 and 19 free HD DVD movies (10 from mail in rebates, 2 in box, 7 from Amazon bundle deals).

On the Movie Side -- B1G1 and price corrections galore. Numerous $4-5 deals. I sold my HD DVD cases and made over $150 on those (everything goes in sleeves in boxes). All told, I have an A3 plus over 120 HD DVDs for something south of $600.

My Blu-ray deal was pretty good, too. BR player free with Panasonic Plasma. Came with 10 free movies. But, it cost me $20 more in the end.

-beebs
Old 01-08-09, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by bookcase3
I'm slowly replacing my HD DVDs when I can get their BD counterparts very inexpensive.
Same here. Finally ready to get rid of my HD DVDs. Luckily I don't have that many.
Old 01-08-09, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I still have more HD-DVDs than BDs also, partially because my preference was always HD-DVD until it died, and partially because I liked the titles a lot better back then. I bought the PS3 in summer '07 for about $220 after sale of my PS2 - but I only really bought early because I wanted a 99% PS2 backwards-compatible unit.

I think my count is something like 30 HD-DVD / 7 BD and the wife's count is more like 30/30.

I'm not upgrading titles, they look just fine, I'm with Lizard on the lossless-is-mostly-placebo opinion, and my hacked HD-XA2 is all-region, Reon, and totally awesome (and our primary DVD player). I sure hope it doesn't die because I couldn't get another one for cheap like I got this one.
Old 01-08-09, 08:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in no rush to upgrade by existing HD-DVDs to BR.

Keeping things predominantly HD-DVD has one overlooked primary advantage: It prevents dumb relatives from asking to borrow movies.

"Sorry aunt Martha, the ones with the red cases won't play on junior's new PS3."
so satisfying...
Old 01-09-09, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

One thing that struck me from this poll, although we have a limited number of people, 80% of who ventured in to hi-def were willing to invest in both formats to get the films we love in the better presentation. Obviously we represent people that are more in to film and technology than the average Joe Consumer.

Although shelf space is a factor I could see where if both formats had survived, people would either need to buy 2 different hi-def players for $125 each or more would have gone the dual format route like LG. All water under the bridge now but I guess I never realized how many of us were format neutral. No one gave up on hi-def with the death of HD.

Why am I rambling? I just think that Bill Hunt and too many others were too eager to call it a format war and to predict neither would survive if both stayed the course.
Old 01-09-09, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 381 Likes on 258 Posts

One thing that struck me from this poll, although we have a limited number of people, 80% of who ventured in to hi-def were willing to invest in both formats to get the films we love in the better presentation. Obviously we represent people that are more in to film and technology than the average Joe Consumer.
That's one of the biggest reasons I've preferred this forum over the other home theater forums, which all seemed much more partisan during the format war. While this site had a handful of vocal fanboys, most of us were format neutral (or at least level-headed single-format owners) and in this for the movies in hi-def.

Why am I rambling? I just think that Bill Hunt and too many others were too eager to call it a format war and to predict neither would survive if both stayed the course.
Honestly, I don't think Bill Hunt or the other opinionated journalists really had much influence on the actual outcome of the format war and frankly, neither did consumers. Make no mistake - it was a war between corporations and the rest of us were mostly just civilian onlookers.
Old 01-10-09, 11:34 AM

no i would not pay $33 for a regular movie anyway

$33 is
about 2 tv shows
5-8 regular movies

and I recentily got 10HDDVD on Craigslist for $40

Last edited by Eve Brown; 01-10-09 at 11:45 AM. Reason: more info
Old 01-10-09, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I was for HD DVD, they had better movies. Out of Sight is one of my favorite movies and the HD DVD is reference quality.
Same here. Out of Sight, Sneakers, Shaun of the Dead, and 12 Monkeys are big favorites. At the time, no Blu-ray exclusive titles interested me anywhere near that level.

As far as I know, none of them have been put on Blu-ray, so I guess it was the right choice for me, albeit still a slightly regrettable one.
Old 01-10-09, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Still got just under 200 HD DVDs, but it's been almost a year now since I watched any of them.