Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-Ray Not Impressing Me - Is It My TV?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-Ray Not Impressing Me - Is It My TV?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-08, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Even cable companies don't just give you HD cables when you ask them for an HD box.
People have been getting them from comcast if they asked.
Old 12-29-08, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
No sign of Jeffbase. Hopefully he's out buying proper cables for both components.
Old 12-29-08, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
People have been getting them from comcast if they asked.
I asked for one from Cox and they asked me for 25 bucks.
Old 12-29-08, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Verizon gave me one for free when they installed the FiOS HD box, so it varies.
Old 12-29-08, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Straker
Verizon gave me one for free when they installed the FiOS HD box, so it varies.
It would have been nice but I only pay 5 bucks a month to rent the box from them. Giving away a cable is customer friendly but not very cost effective for the company if you ask me.
Old 12-29-08, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Brent L
Wait a second.

Most standalone Blu-ray players don't come with an HDMI cable?

I understand it for the PS3, sorta, since it's not "only" marketed as an HD device, but standalone BD players?

Someone can correct me...but I believe the Blu-ray players that Costco sells all have an HDMI cable included (at least my Panasonic DMP-BD35K did).
Old 12-29-08, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Time Warner gives a set of Component Cables with the HD DVR box. I have a ton, since I have went through so many crappy boxes
Old 12-29-08, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Costco includes an HDMI cable with nearly every BD player they sell. You can even get a PS3 bundle that has one.

DirecTV's HD boxes include both component and HDMI cables in the box. You choose the one you want to use.

Buy a BD player from Best Buy, Target, or most other places and sadly...you got to buy the HDMI or component cable seperately. Even most upconverting DVD players just come with the basic composite cables.
Old 12-29-08, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Cox at least had component cables with my HD box.
Old 12-29-08, 11:29 PM

So let me get this straight.

It was always my understanding that manufacturers didn't allow hd over component despite it being capable for copyright reasons.

The PS3 will play blu-ray movies over component?

If so that would be the ideal setup for my projector theater down my basement as it's hooked up via component.
Old 12-29-08, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Okay, somebody correct me if I'm wrong:

1) 1080p is not possible, no matter what, over component, because component doesn't have enough bandwidth.

2) 1080i over component with BD discs is possible, and most BD players can do this, so long as the disc allows it, and almost all discs do.

3) 1080i over component with DVDs is usually not possible, as even though most BD players can do this, most DVDs are flagged to not allow it.
Old 12-30-08, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Shazam
Okay, somebody correct me if I'm wrong:

1) 1080p is not possible, no matter what, over component, because component doesn't have enough bandwidth.
Not true....you can do 1080p over component....

Originally Posted by Shazam
3) 1080i over component with DVDs is usually not possible, as even though most BD players can do this, most DVDs are flagged to not allow it.
It doesn't have anything to do with the DVDs themselves (they are not flagged in anyway to not allow this)....it has to do with whether or not the hardware allows it (which most only allow upconversion over HDMI)....as previously stated, the Oppo will allow upconversion via component...
Old 12-30-08, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by WMAangel
It doesn't have anything to do with the DVDs themselves (they are not flagged in anyway to not allow this)...
The Macrovision flag on DVDs triggers upconverting DVD players to not upconvert via component. I think the reasoning is that Macrovision doesn't work on 720p or 1080 signals, so sending these signals via analog component is disabled. DVI and HDMI upconversion are allowed because the DVD player uses HDCP to send the signal via those connections. If your TV can't accept HDCP, then upconversion is disabled for DVI and HDMI as well.

If a DVD doesn't have Macrovision, nearly every upconverting DVD player can upconvert it over component. The DVD players that upconvert Macrovision-protected content over component are either hacked or non-compliant in regards to their Macrovision license/spec.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...74#post6832374
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/2960575-post10.html
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/449041
Old 12-30-08, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
No sign of Jeffbase. Hopefully he's out buying proper cables for both components.
Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. My PS3 only came with the standard audio video cables, 3 connectors - red, white and yellow. So should I go get the component cable that has more connectors or the HDMI cable? My dvd player is also just using standard cables, and the quality is really good. I just expected blu ray to be even better.
Old 12-30-08, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffbase34
Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. My PS3 only came with the standard audio video cables, 3 connectors - red, white and yellow. So should I go get the component cable that has more connectors or the HDMI cable? My dvd player is also just using standard cables, and the quality is really good. I just expected blu ray to be even better.
Yes, buy new cables!

You would do best if you were to get the HDMI. And while you're buying cables, you should buy the best one you could get for your DVD player, which probably at least has component. You think your DVD player looks good now, but it will look a lot better with better cables. Hell, even S-video would be an improvement!
Old 12-30-08, 09:42 AM
Banned

An HDMI cable from Monoprice will be cheaper than the PS3 component cables.
Old 12-30-08, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts
I think a lot of these points are moot anyway. Doesn't the PS3 just have HDMI out, "AV multi out" (for composite) and a optical audio out? (mine does at least). So I don't think that component is really a viable option with that device. Just buy an HDMI cable from Monoprice and all will be good.
Old 12-30-08, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by clckworang
Yes, buy new cables!

You would do best if you were to get the HDMI. And while you're buying cables, you should buy the best one you could get for your DVD player, which probably at least has component. You think your DVD player looks good now, but it will look a lot better with better cables. Hell, even S-video would be an improvement!
Put the dvd in another room and use your ps3 as an upconverter. Don't bother buying even more cables except the HDMI for your PS3.
Old 12-30-08, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffbase34
Hey guys,

If your TV has HDMI inputs, definitely HDMI, although component on the PS3 is no slouch either.

As mentioned while you're at it, get some component cables for your DVD player OR just dump it and use the PS3 as your main player. Personally, I have two kids, so I keep a standard DVD player hooked up so they don't mess with the PS3. Plus the wife is used to the DVD player and doesn't really want to mess with the PS3.
Old 12-30-08, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cultshock
I think a lot of these points are moot anyway. Doesn't the PS3 just have HDMI out, "AV multi out" (for composite) and a optical audio out? (mine does at least). So I don't think that component is really a viable option with that device. Just buy an HDMI cable from Monoprice and all will be good.
This is incorrect. The PS3 can utilize PS3-specific component cables. I have them. They have an end that goes into the "AV multi out" you mentioned. But then I got HDMI, and I agree that HDMI is a better and less expensive (if you buy from the right place) option.
Old 12-30-08, 11:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Goldblum
This is incorrect. The PS3 can utilize PS3-specific component cables. I have them. They have an end that goes into the "AV multi out" you mentioned.

I have them as well. Of course, I'm using them for the PS2 (which looks better at 480p than I had expected).
Old 12-30-08, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bottom line jeffbase34 - GET HDMI and then be prepared to be blown away. Transformers is a great disc, but remember that it is intentionally filmed with a high level of grain. A better wow factor would come from a Pixar movie (especially Ratatouille or Wall-E) or Kung Fu Panda.

Last edited by RockyMtnBri; 12-30-08 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-30-08, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Go HDMI and never look back!
Old 12-30-08, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you your TV has HDMI, use that. The yellow/red/white composite cables are the reason you are not impressed with blu-ray. You are getting the same resolution image from blu-ray that you are getting from the DVD player.

Never use the yellow RCA cable for video unless you are hooking up a VCR or a DVD player to an old CRT TV.
Old 12-30-08, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Even cable companies don't just give you HD cables when you ask them for an HD box.
This is beside the point, but just to let folks know that my HD receivers through DirecTV have always come with HDMI cords. I had to replace one a few months back and the replacement included an HDMI as well. Came in handy when I got my PS3 last night and had an extra cord just sitting around.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.