Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Are Menus for SD DVDs the same as Blu-Ray?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-08, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't got a blue ray player yet but prob in the next couple months.

In the past I have had movies on SD that where on blu-ray? Question is the blu-ray version have the same exact menus and controls as the Standard DVDs
Maybe you can check.
Here are some movies in blu-ray I am planning on getting:
Tommy Boy
Jingle All The Way
Home Alone
Smallville - Season 6 and 7

are the menu's the same
For the TV Shows do they fit more episodes per disk, if so how many?

Also If I put a Standard DVD in the PS3 I will be getting.....will that change the quality at all?

Sorry for the questions. I want to be sure before I make my purchases
Old 12-22-08, 12:11 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Not always.

Why is this even important?
Old 12-22-08, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
BDs can have pop-up menus that can be pulled up at the bottom of the screen while the movie continues to play. It's kind of cool.

I am guessing you're asking about special features? I just have Home Alone out of those, and it apparently has all the features that the 2006 "Family Fun Edition" DVD had. I'm not entirely sure because I never bought that.
Old 12-22-08, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure I fully understand the question, but there are menus on Blu-ray Discs, but the architecture of the format allows for more sophisticated menu design, so most titles take advantage of that capability.

My experience so far has been that Blu-ray (and HD DVD) menus are much better than their DVD counterparts.

As far as the TV shows question, I haven't bought many TV shows on Blu yet, but I doubt that most will include more episodes per disc, both for technical reasons (the discs may hold more bits, but HD video requires more space than SD video), and for marketing reasons (people still cling to the notion that more discs = better value).

And finally, playing a standard DVD in a PS3 (or most Blu-ray players) will result in a better quality image than most SD DVD players can deliver, due to enhanced upscaling capabilities in the players. Of course, not all players upscale as well as others. The PS3, for example, is very good, but there are others that are better.
Old 12-22-08, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts
Sometimes the movie just begins playing and you have to specifically request the totals menu which is somewhat annoying, but I do like the pop up menus.

The menus are easier to use in that you can simply press "forward" on the menu choice, and all of that choice's options show up. If you press "back" then it fades/slides back, and you are back to the main menu options.

Only problem with this is, that with some of the titles they have a "WHOOSH." "CLICK" "BONG HIT" sound effect every time you do something, which, thankfully, most of the time you can turn off.

Last edited by bluetoast; 12-22-08 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-22-08, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PHMustang2000
Also If I put a Standard DVD in the PS3 I will be getting.....will that change the quality at all?
That depends on the quality of the DVD player you're currently using. The PS3 won't miraculously turn a standard DVD into a Blu-ray Disc, but it is a good upconverting player, so you may see an improvement. But if your current DVD player is a good upconverting player, then you won't.