Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Buffy or Angel on Bluray?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Buffy or Angel on Bluray?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-22, 10:23 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Buffy or Angel on Bluray?

I don't think 99% of people would care if they released a Widescreen Buffy. They are not going to notice to small errors or weird issues that might pop-up.They just want Buffy to fill their screens.

It'll probably never happen unless somehow the rights go to Mill Creek or some lesser brand which has been known to toss them all on Blu-ray for a low-price. Even a cleaner 4:3 would be nice (like Knight Rider, 70s show etc.)

Physical media is all but dead anyway, so I can't imagine it will ever happen at this point unless we get a new movie or some sort of tie-in.
Old 08-11-22, 11:19 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Ah! Haven’t heard the Gizmo chant of media death in what…a month or so?
Old 08-11-22, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 665 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
I don't think 99% of people would care if they released a Widescreen Buffy. They are not going to notice to small errors or weird issues that might pop-up.They just want Buffy to fill their screens.
I mean, the fact that the bad HD remaster is on Disney+ right now suggests that's most people are fine with errors and weird issues. Anyone buying Blu-ray nowadays though may be more selective.

It'll probably never happen unless somehow the rights go to Mill Creek or some lesser brand which has been known to toss them all on Blu-ray for a low-price. Even a cleaner 4:3 would be nice (like Knight Rider, 70s show etc.)
Does Disney even license out movies or shows for others to release nowadays?
Old 08-11-22, 09:26 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I mean, the fact that the bad HD remaster is on Disney+ right now suggests that's most people are fine with errors and weird issues. Anyone buying Blu-ray nowadays though may be more selective.

Does Disney even license out movies or shows for others to release nowadays?
I didn't even know its on D+. I might have to check out a few episodes to see how "bad" it is. I have the iTunes 480p versions which look better then the DVD in my eyes.

I think they have licensed out movies to Criterion?
Old 08-11-22, 09:30 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by E Unit
Ah! Haven’t heard the Gizmo chant of media death in what…a month or so?
Pretend they release this on Blu-ray. Who is going to carry it? Target has the top 25 and some kid movies. Walmart has a much smaller selection, mostly cheap crap. Best Buy is pretty much just new releases. The only physical retailer I can think of that still has a decent collection is Barnes & Noble, but it's mostly Criterion.

So that leaves what, Amazon? Disney won't even bother putting out Mandalorian or Boba Fett on Blu-ray and you just know that would outsell the Buffy Blu-ray Collection 50 to 1. At a certain point, you just have to accept these catalog releases are going to be far and wide. We get weird shit like Night Gallery and Teen Wolf and we just have to accept it.

I'd love to be wrong and get Buffy and Angel on Blu-ray. Prove me wrong!
Old 08-12-22, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,984 Likes on 2,035 Posts

Here are a couple of youtube videos that cover the many problems with the HD remasters (framing, cropping, DNR, coloring):

It's a real shame. This could looked amazing in HD.

Old 08-12-22, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 665 Likes on 462 Posts

I didn't even know its on D+. I might have to check out a few episodes to see how "bad" it is. I have the iTunes 480p versions which look better then the DVD in my eyes.

I think they have licensed out movies to Criterion?
The Criterion releases were weird, in that it's more like Criterion licensed to Disney than the other way around. Criterion did the authoring and mastering, but Buena Vista produced and distributed the discs. I think Criterion cut a cut from each disc sale. It's also why the Disney Criterions could sometimes be had for really cheap prices, because it wasn't Criterion setting the price.

https://www.criterionforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27
Q. Why is Chasing Amy (or The Royal Tenenbaums) cheaper than the other Criterions?

A. These titles were produced by Criterion but are distributed by Buena Vista (the distribution arm of Disney). Buena Vista sets the price, not Criterion.
I think, other than Wes Anderson films, Disney hasn't done a film with Criterion in many years.
Old 08-12-22, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Kino Lorber and Mill Creek have both had Disney deals as well at one time (200 titles strong for KL Studio Classics), but as far as I know, they're not striking any new licensing deals with anyone right now.