Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Best & Worst Tech of 2008 (Blu-ray: the Worst)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-08, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Yahoo! Tech Article

Blu-ray - I'm happy to see that Blu-ray players have come down in price... but the media has not, and there's no way I'm paying $25 to watch Step Brothers. Plus the technology is still, bafflingly, dog-slow.
I love my BD player, but he's not wrong. I'm not sure if I can say it belongs on the worst for those reasons though.
Old 12-18-08, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In 1998, the 1998 equivalent of Step Brothers was about $25 (in 1998 dollars) on standard-def DVD and earning pretty universal praise.

Today, asking $25 (in 2008 dollars) for it in HD merits you a "Worst Tech" award?!

Whatever.

...mainstream tech writers, column inches, etc.
Old 12-18-08, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I remember going in to The Wiz locally and seeing DVDs priced at $25-$30 back in '99. Heck I paid over $20 for Analyze This when I first got my player.
Old 12-18-08, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
In 1998, the 1998 equivalent of Step Brothers was about $25 (in 1998 dollars) on standard-def DVD and earning pretty universal praise.
It was also a world where you couldn't go down to WalMart and browse a bin full of titles priced for $5, or go into a drug store and get the new releases on Tuesday. In other words, expectations have changed. I think this BD at this point in its life vs. DVD at the same point is an extremely flawed comparison for these and other reasons.
Old 12-18-08, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
It was also a world where you couldn't go down to WalMart and browse a bin full of titles priced for $5, or go into a drug store and get the new releases on Tuesday. In other words, expectations have changed. I think this BD at this point in its life vs. DVD at the same point is an extremely flawed comparison for these and other reasons.
I think pricing is pretty good right now, except for some of the stuff from Fox that should have been reduced by now. It was late 99 before I could afford to even start buying dvds.
Old 12-18-08, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love HD but the disc prices really annoy me too, especially after DVDs bottomed out.
Old 12-18-08, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Yes, The Waterboy was that expensive.
Old 12-18-08, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts
I agree, you can't compare the two formats at this point in their lives for the reasons already stated. DVD took a while to change people's habits with regards to movies - they eventually warmed up to the idea of purchasing movies and building a collection. BD doesn't have to do this now.

You have to remember, DVD is still a pretty new format to most people. If the studios expect us to purchase our movies all over again so soon by adopting a new slightly-improved format - the price has to be more enticing.

I'm surprised they didn't include the compatability problems as a reason to list it in their "worst" section. The slowness is one thing, but the fact that many discs have problems playing in different players is frustrating. This shouldn't happen to a format that's already 2 years old.
Old 12-18-08, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
The entire HD world of media/hardware is the worst product/idea in a long, long time.

Despite its benefits, the technology has confused and frustrated novice users and early adopters alike. Arcane terminology, confusing statistics, ever changing "standards" and marketing terms, clueless stores and salespeople . . . .

Very disappointing.
Old 12-18-08, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I remember paying $35 for office space when it first came out, and that was on sale.
Old 12-18-08, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Exactly. People have been conditioned to paying under $15 for movies for years now and getting people to pay more, significantly more, than they are used to, is a crazy concept.

By that same flawed analogy go back 10 more years to 1988. $100 for a new release VHS. So by that token moving to the advance tech actually lowered new release pricing by $75! Shouldn't we have $5 Blu-rays, across the board, by now?
Old 12-18-08, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
I have a shitload of Blu titles coming to me. Average prices are $6.69 for 10, and around $11.50 or so for about 12 titles.

This guy can blow it out his ass.

And I certainly paid $34.99 and $29.99 for my DVD titles back in late 97 and 98. First title was The Thing. I paid $35 for that fucker.

If you want the LATEST titles, you will pay. Doesn't matter if they are Blu-ray or regular DVD. Which this dumbass doesn't mention.
Old 12-18-08, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
I have a shitload of Blu titles coming to me. Average prices are $6.69 for 10, and around $11/50 or so for about 12 titles.
Did you walk into a retail outlet and purchase them at that price? Bulk discounts and buying shit you are on the fence about, to get to whatever a sale requirement is, isn't even close to being the same as having reasonably priced movies on retail shelves.
Old 12-18-08, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's a part of another of the author's articles on Yahoo.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/111734

Unexpected tech trends and predictions for 2009

"Blu-ray Ascending - It pains me to predict this, but I believe Blu-ray is going to grow in popularity and market share vs. DVD."

Why does it pain him to say that? Sounds like this guy hates Blu-ray. Gee, I wonder why someone like that would put it on a worst tech list?
Old 12-18-08, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While I agree that Fox's catalog titles need to come down if they want to be mainstream, I guess I'm just a glass-half-full kinda guy when it comes to Blu-ray software pricing. I used to pay $50 (back when $50 was $50) for an LD with the movie, a trailer and, when I was lucky, a commentary track.

And I used to walk 8 miles barefoot through the snow to school every morning. And I liked it!
Old 12-18-08, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Why does it pain him to say that?
I see that a lot in DVD-centric forums. People invest too much of themselves into their DVD collections and take it personally that they're not on the bleeding edge anymore.

Edited to add -- I don't know what kind of player he's using, but... http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/108657

I've got my own problems with Blu-ray, having been giving it a fresh shot over the last few weeks. The player I have is a real pain vs. my cheapie DVD player. Startup time is ungodly, and I'll never understand why the player can't automatically figure out to play a Blu-ray disc if there's one in the device when it starts up. Instead it goes to an aggravating "home page" after a 30-second wait, and then it's another button press and another minute-long wait before I can get to the Blu-ray disc's home screen. Fast-forward and reverse is jerky and difficult to finely control, and that's a problem because I have to use them all the time due to the player's biggest annoyance: It doesn't remember where you were in a movie if you stop in the middle. If I quit at the 1 hour mark while watching a DVD on my bargain player, it picks right back up there the next time I turn it on. I understand that different model players will have different features, but this is standard on even the cheapest DVD gear. It's unfathomable that a $300 Blu-ray player can't get the job done.

Is Blu-ray dead? When people like me who have both units sitting side by side actively prefer using DVD instead of BD whenever they can, you've definitely got some trouble ahead.
Old 12-18-08, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Is this the same guy that predicted HD-DVD to win the format war? If so, that pretty much explains everything.
Old 12-18-08, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Did you walk into a retail outlet and purchase them at that price? Bulk discounts and buying shit you are on the fence about, to get to whatever a sale requirement is, isn't even close to being the same as having reasonably priced movies on retail shelves.
Agreed, people pointing out their average price is silly when they're specifically hunting for deals and bargains. Average people aren't signing up for Columbia House for B1G1 deals.
Old 12-18-08, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Is this the same guy that predicted HD-DVD to win the format war? If so, that pretty much explains everything.
So if someone is wrong once, then they are wrong forever? He was hardly alone going into CES2008 which changed everything.

It's not like he picked Ralph Nader for president and then is making other political predictions.
Old 12-18-08, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is Blu-ray dead? When people like me who have both units sitting side by side actively prefer using DVD instead of BD whenever they can, you've definitely got some trouble ahead.
This tidbit says a lot. I sympathize with his point about the sometimes-frustrating technical headaches/ergonomic failings of Blu-ray players, but if you offered me the choice of watching the finest DVD player ever made, in peace, with a bucket of popcorn or watching the worst Blu-ray player while a construction worker repeatedly raps me on the temple with a ball-peen hammer, I'd take the latter every time.

Ah, perspective. Ah, priorities.
Old 12-18-08, 10:11 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
So if someone is wrong once, then they are wrong forever? He was hardly alone going into CES2008 which changed everything.
I don't think people really know what went on behind the scenes and how things changed literally in the blink of an eye. It is very akin to how BD "Insiders" were literally notified hours before Paramount went Red in August.

Anyway, I'm getting happier with BD softeware prices. New releases are still way too much, but some studios (Universal/Paramount/Sony/Lionsgate) are making catalog pricing very attractive. Day and Dates are still a major problem with some titles almost double the price of the 1 Disc DVD set...but things should get better.

2009 will be the year of "Digital Copies"...every studio seems keen on this idea. I really wish they would just pack the normal DVD movie instead which would give people considering an upgrade to BD any easier transition (which is why I always liked Combo HD DVDs). Disney has already experimented with this (Sleeping Beauty), and HSM3 BD should have a DVD included instead of a DC when its announced along with Pinochio.
Old 12-18-08, 10:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema

Why does it pain him to say that? Sounds like this guy hates Blu-ray. Gee, I wonder why someone like that would put it on a worst tech list?
Oh, you didn't get the memo? I'm sure he's just being reasonably unbiased and only cares about looking about ALL sides of the issue!!1!!1 Isn't that the standard cop-out being used these days?

I mean, COME ON, the guy OWNS a Blu-ray player. Doesn't that give him a right to slam it every chance he gets?
Old 12-18-08, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by SonOfAStu
I mean, COME ON, the guy OWNS a Blu-ray player. Doesn't that give him a right to slam it every chance he gets?
It certainly gives him a right to his informed opinion. To me your post here is a thinly veiled personal attack.

I guess it's easier to just dismiss him personally instead of intelligently digesting what he has written, and deciding what points are valid and what is trash. I guess the "smart" thing to do is trash the whole thing because it is critical, and by golly we can't allow any criticism, right?
Old 12-18-08, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Drexl
Yes, The Waterboy was that expensive.
Nice!
Old 12-18-08, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I don't think people really know what went on behind the scenes and how things changed literally in the blink of an eye. It is very akin to how BD "Insiders" were literally notified hours before Paramount went Red in August.
Depends on who's story you believe. None of "us" know 100% what really went on behind the scenes. I've read WB chose BD back in November. I've read they waited to see how HD DVD did during December. I've read about 10 other theories.

Anyway, I'm getting happier with BD softeware prices. New releases are still way too much, but some studios (Universal/Paramount/Sony/Lionsgate) are making catalog pricing very attractive. Day and Dates are still a major problem with some titles almost double the price of the 1 Disc DVD set...but things should get better.
Sometime in Q1, we will see price cuts on catalog titles across the board. Not all catalogs, but a good bit of them. That is encouraging. IF the studios do go along with the idea of releasing a 1-disc dvd and the special edition BD, which is planned for Q3, then I hope at that time they would start to lower the price of the BD just a bit. Getting rid of the 2-disc dvd should save on cost. Then they can sell the bare bones dvd for $15 on release week, and maybe the BD for $22.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.