Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Sony S350 question regarding BD Live

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-08, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted this in the HD forum but didn't get any response. I figure this is probably a better place for it.
I recently got the S350. I played Transformers on BD. I had a difficult time accessing the BD-Live feature. Reading the manual says that I have to attach an external memory for it to work.

Q1: Is that always necessary every time I want to use BD-Live?

I also noticed that the loading time increased to an unacceptable length when I connected an external drive (2GB USB drive).

Q2: Will the load time always be that long whenever an external drive is attached?

Q3: Should I just leave it attached all the time?

Thanks!
Old 12-12-08, 10:10 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Yes. Just buy a Sony MiniDrive (looks like a memory card) or a Flashdrive and stick it in the back of the unit...and leave it there. You will be 2.0 compliant and BD-Live should work fine. BD-Live only requires 1GB (flashdrives are about $10 or so) but you can go higher if you have an extra one laying around.

I've never heard of a player going slower by leaving it in (or even having it at all). Make sure you have updated your firmware to the latest version to take advantage of BD-Live as most in stores may still have an older, 1.1 firmware.
Old 12-12-08, 10:56 AM

The manual recommends using a Sony USM1GH but I just put a Kingston one in mine for around $8. If you use your own brand, make sure it fits in the slot properly... it's tiny and slim too.
Old 12-12-08, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the responses. I'll check the firmware when I get home to see if its 2.0 but I did run an update before I tried using BD-Live. And as I mentioned, the loading time increased significantly versus not having the USB drive plugged in. Could something be wrong with my player?
Old 12-12-08, 11:15 AM
Suspended

I have no idea.

Are you telling me it took longer to load a title or ir loaded faster? Faster makes a bit more sense....but were you timing it? Using the same title (A Fox title may talk longer to load then lets say a Sony).
Old 12-12-08, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by chaingunsofdoom
The manual recommends using a Sony USM1GH but I just put a Kingston one in mine for around $8. If you use your own brand, make sure it fits in the slot properly... it's tiny and slim too.
Yeah, my wife picked up a USB flash drive when she bought the player and it was too wide to fit in that little opening. So we had to exchange it for a thinner one. I ended up getting a PNY 2GB (it was on sale and came in a 2-pack). It fits fine and the firmware update appears to have been successful. However, I haven't tried using BD-Live yet. I guess I'll know for sure when I try it.

I haven't noticed an increase in load time since connecting the flash drive.

On a somewhat related note... As for general load times, I don't quite now what a lot of people are crying about. True, it takes a little longer for BD to load than a DVD does, but some people made it sound like they are going gray sitting there waiting. I was half expecting to put the disc in and go take a nap or something while it loaded. In the defense of the OP, it sounds like he/she might have some other problem since it only increases when the flash drive is connected.

Cool! I just noticed that this post is #777 for me!
Old 12-12-08, 11:33 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
Yeah, my wife picked up a USB flash drive when she bought the player and it was too wide to fit in that little opening. So we had to exchange it for a thinner one. I ended up getting a PNY 2GB (it was on sale and came in a 2-pack). It fits fine and the firmware update appears to have been successful. However, I haven't tried using BD-Live yet. I guess I'll know for sure when I try it.

I haven't noticed an increase in load time since connecting the flash drive.

On a somewhat related note... As for general load times, I don't quite now what a lot of people are crying about. True, it takes a little longer for BD to load than a DVD does, but some people made it sound like they are going gray sitting there waiting. I was half expecting to put the disc in and go take a nap or something while it loaded. In the defense of the OP, it sounds like he/she might have some other problem since it only increases when the flash drive is connected.

Cool! I just noticed that this post is #777 for me!
The S350 is Sony's third generation player...so loads times have been fixed somewhat. Earlier models take a lot longer.
Old 12-12-08, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
The S350 is Sony's third generation player...so loads times have been fixed somewhat. Earlier models take a lot longer.
Well that's good to know. I'm usually the one stuck with the older version of anything. My first DVD player wouldn't play CD-Rs.
Old 12-13-08, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have no idea.

Are you telling me it took longer to load a title or ir loaded faster? Faster makes a bit more sense....but were you timing it? Using the same title (A Fox title may talk longer to load then lets say a Sony).
No, I was not timing it, but it took long enough that it most certainly was longer. To be clear, the SAME BD (Transformers) takes a LOT longer to load when the flash drive is connected versus when it is not connected.
Old 12-13-08, 07:54 AM

I'm not sure about this. Maybe someone else can chime in on my theory. But it's been said that BD-Live can cause some load times to be longer (I remember the Iron Man fiasco for one example). Maybe if you don't have the flash drive in, the BD-Live features don't load, but when you have it in, the BD-Live features load. Just a theory, though.
Old 12-14-08, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Sounds like a safe theory to me. I think it is a sound design choice to only load features that the player can support. Why make people wait for features they can't use?
Old 12-14-08, 11:04 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by obidawsn
I'm not sure about this. Maybe someone else can chime in on my theory. But it's been said that BD-Live can cause some load times to be longer (I remember the Iron Man fiasco for one example). Maybe if you don't have the flash drive in, the BD-Live features don't load, but when you have it in, the BD-Live features load. Just a theory, though.
You might be right. It may pre-load some of the 1.1 features onto the flash drive while the disc is loading to make it "load" faster later. I've never really paid too much attention to load times though...as long as its not 5 minutes I'm fine.
Old 12-14-08, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Sony 550 loads rather quickly almost every title. But I did notice it seemed to take a bit longer on The Dark Knight.
Old 12-15-08, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You might be right. It may pre-load some of the 1.1 features onto the flash drive while the disc is loading to make it "load" faster later. I've never really paid too much attention to load times though...as long as its not 5 minutes I'm fine.

This comment got me wondering about something...

Does the flash drive store any kind of "cookies" when you load a disc so when you come back to that disc some other time, it loads faster?

Or is it more like a DVD player where nothing from the disc is actually saved on a drive within the player?
Old 12-16-08, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
Sounds like a safe theory to me. I think it is a sound design choice to only load features that the player can support. Why make people wait for features they can't use?
I'm glad the jedi agree .