Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Max Payne Jan 20th..

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Max Payne Jan 20th..

Old 11-25-08, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Max Payne Jan 20th..

Blu-ray.com

Early advertisement material has revealed that 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment will bring the Mark Wahlberg video game-based film 'Max Payne' in its unrated form to Blu-ray on January 20th, day-and-date with the DVD release. Technical specs have not been announced at this time, but you can expect the typical 1080p AVC and DTS-HD Master Audio treatment from the studio.

Extras for this release include:

Audio commentary
BonusView PiP with behind-the-scenes footage and director interviews
Never-before-seen 20-minute graphic novel
Deleted scenes
Documentary
Digital copy
Old 11-30-08, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts
So is this unrated release to be a more violent version of the theatrical cut or will it be the promised Gamer-centric Director's Cut?

With Fox releasing this and Babylon A.D. in unrated form, how much longer must we wait for an unrated BD release of Live Free or Die Hard?
Old 11-30-08, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope so. I kinda dug this film.
Old 12-01-08, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
updated extras...

Blu-ray.com

Fox Home Entertainment has announced the technical specs and special features for the upcoming Blu-ray release of 'Max Payne', which is due to hit store shelves on January 20th, day-and-date with the DVD release. Coming on a BD-50 with a digital copy, video will be presented in 2.35:1 1080p AVC accompanied by a 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack.

Extras for this release include:

Both the Theatrical Version and Unrated Extended Cut of the film
Commentary with Director John Moore, Production Designer Daniel Dorrance and Visual Effects Supervisor Everett Burrell
Picture production featurette – Part 1
Picture production featurette – Part 2 (BD Exclusive)
Michelle Payne animated graphic novel
BonusVIEW mode:
Walkthroughs & Cheats – Making Max Payne behind-the-scenes picture-in-picture production featurette (available on the Theatrical version only)
Picture-in-picture interviews with director John Moore
Max Payne Unrated Digital Copy for portable media players
Old 12-03-08, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This movie had an insane amount of bass when I saw it in theaters. I can't wait to relive that at home.

Given how the extended cut is supposed to more closely emulate the feel of the game, is it possible that the Michelle Payne animated graphic novel is a sequence that can also be viewed within the film (with the option of watching it seperately if you stick to the theatrical cut) in a sort of homage to the "you're in a graphic novel" sequence from the game?
Old 01-14-09, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Max Payne Jan 20th..

I picked up the January 2009 issue of Entertainment at Home (a publication freely distributed in most mom & pop rentals). In it the rated cut is listed with a runtime of 100 minutes whereas the unrated cut is listed with a runtime of 103 minutes.

I guess we we wont we getting the promised Gamer-centric Director's Cut anytime soon.
Old 01-15-09, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

I only caught the unrated version (never saw the theatrical one), and it's basically just more violent.
Old 01-15-09, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

How'd you get the unrated cut so early? I haven't seen it available to rent yet.
Old 01-15-09, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It... fell off the back of a truck.

Actually, I get some titles early.
Old 01-15-09, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Lucky you.

So how's the extra violence. Not much different or is this a Live Free or Die Hard scenario?

I wonder whatever became of the promised Gamer-centric Director's Cut.
Old 01-15-09, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, kinda disappointing. I never caught this in theaters but I wanted to... I'll probably just RedBox it.
Old 01-15-09, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Lucky you.

So how's the extra violence. Not much different or is this a Live Free or Die Hard scenario?

I wonder whatever became of the promised Gamer-centric Director's Cut.
Well, I haven't seen the theatrical cut (I went right for the unrated version), but I remember seeing some blood when someone shoots and I believe I read somewhere (probably IMDb) that the director filmed two different shots for a couple scenes: one with blood and one without.
Old 01-15-09, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks. Well, hopefully the rental near where I live will have this available soon so I can see for myself. But it seems this'll be another BD I'll be holding off on.
Old 01-19-09, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I rented this last night. The good news is the picture and audio are phenomenal. The bad news is that all the extra gore (except for some blood spatter on a wall during a machete/knife/whatever-the-hell-that-thing-was kill) is obvious CG. It works in parts but doesn't in others. In fact, the CG blood "mist" ruined the only bloody bullet hit in the theatrical cut and made for unintentional laughs when Max Payne is beating up Jason Colvin. The former because it obscures the squib and makes a decent bullet hit look very fake. The latter because everytime Max punches Jason you see blood fly out (sadly, the same particle blood used during every punch in the unrated cut) and yet Jason has only a faint trickle of already-dried blood from his nose during the beating.

The extras were crap. The audio commentary is decent but not something you'd want to listen to ever again. The Picture production featurettes were interesting since they were just unscripted footage of people who worked on the film (rather than the standard "everyone was great" EPK nonesense) but it gets boring really fast since it's basically endless random rambling with some actual behind the scenes work shown ocassionally).

I was also dismayed to see that on the disc the unrated cut is labelled as the Unrated Director's Cut which makes me definitely assume that the Gamer-centric cut may never happen (or at least be a few years down the road if it does).

For those wondering about the extra three minutes, it's just some extra uses of the F-bomb throughout, Amaury Nolasco speaking and cussing in Spanish towards one of his victims, and like three seconds of a couple of chicks making out. That's it.

Last edited by RocShemp; 01-19-09 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-04-09, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just blind bought the DVD used for five bucks and was pleasantly surprised. I don't understand why it was so heavily criticized. It's a movie based on a video game and it's an action movie. It's a good movie for its genre. I definitely agree that the Blu Ray is ten times better quality than the DVD, since I watched the first 20 minutes of the movie on Blu Ray in Virgin Megastore.