Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

For HD DVD, PS3, or standalone?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-08, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi folks...

I'm dropping a large chunk o' cash on a 60" plasma for XMas. I need to get an HD DVD player as well to round out the setup.

I could get a HD standalone player (Pioneer, Sony, whoever), OR I could spent roughly the same amount on a PS3 and use THAT for the HD DVD source and also have a game machine of sorts.

Is the output the same on both or is there a noticeable difference in quality between a PS3 playing a HD DVD and a standalone HD DVD player?

I don't want to waste my money if there is a difference.

Suggestions, comments, etc.????

Thanks in advance!!

JimmyD
Old 11-23-08, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
just to be clear by HD DVD player I am going to assume you mean Blu Ray.

The PS3 is the best and one of the most futureproof BD players on the market.

I wouldn't even consider another option even if you never purchase a game for it.
It is also a great media hub and you can download plenty of free content for it.
Old 11-23-08, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by musick
just to be clear by HD DVD player I am going to assume you mean Blu Ray.

I wouldn't even consider another option even if you never purchase a game for it.
It is also a great media hub and you can download plenty of free content for it.
Sorry, I guess in my mind there is only one HD and that is Blu Ray.

So, yes, I'm talking BD player.

As for the media hub.....I'm a Mac household, so with my setup, my iMac is my media center and my AppleTV is my wireless connection to everything on my computer. The PS3 would just integrate into the whole she-bang-a-bang.

JimmyD
Old 11-24-08, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by musick

Yep. All said right there. The only "bummer" I've had with the PS3 is the Bluetooth remote (which you have to buy separately). Buy a USB universal remote adapter so you can use a Harmony remote with it. Otherwise a great unit compared to any standalone.
Old 11-24-08, 09:41 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I was mostly concerned that the PS3 somehow didn't match up on the video-out compared to a standalone unit. Something along the lines of "they put most of their money and technology into the gaming portion of the box, and threw the BD in almost as an afterthought."

I'll start exploring the PS3 options.

JimmyD
Old 11-24-08, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I would actually prefer the PS3 for a media hub over the Apple TV. I don't think the Apple TV supports Divx and the PS3 does. The combo of both should cover any and all video you might need to play on your TV. It is also a fantastic BD player and DVD upconverter, but as mentioned you will need an add on to use it with a Harmony remote.
Old 11-24-08, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would suggest buying the Nyko remote, that way you get the remote USB dongle, unless now the dongle is available as a standalone. I just revisited my Harmony 890 remote setup and the Nyko remote commands are now a standard, so you really don't need the remote itself to program the Harmony.
Old 11-24-08, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by JimmyDreams
I was mostly concerned that the PS3 somehow didn't match up on the video-out compared to a standalone unit. Something along the lines of "they put most of their money and technology into the gaming portion of the box, and threw the BD in almost as an afterthought."
Well whoever said that was wrong. It's fantastic, and games are the LAST thing I would use my PS3 for.

If you have an HDMI receiver, you can also enjoy the new HD audio formats as well.
Old 11-24-08, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick Martin
Well whoever said that was wrong. It's fantastic, and games are the LAST thing I would use my PS3 for.
+1

I use my PS3 almost exclusively as a Blu-ray player and to a lesser extent, a media hub. I don't play any games on it.

Also, to the OP, for communication purposes, you'll want to start referring to Blu-ray as Blu-ray specifically. "HD DVD" is not a general term that refers to Blu-ray. Confusing I know, but that's the way it is, due to the now-defuct rival format that had that name and the fact that Blu-ray technology is entirely independent of the DVD specification and the DVD forum.
Old 11-24-08, 01:14 PM

Well to each their own but I will tell you that if the game part is of interest and to use it as a media hub then yes the PS3 is for you. I didn't go with it for the reasons stated on here and AVS(Power hog, ugly,even with remote adapter you can't turn it on/off,ETC). I have a 360 Elite,so don't need another game system. I don't like the idea on having a game system and a BD player in-one.
If those don't matter, I will say I have the new Sony S350 and the new Panasonic BD35k and a friend brought over his PS3. I will tell you HD PQ,all 3 were pretty close(I preferred the BD35). On AQ all close also(on here I really favored the BD35k) the PS3 can't bit stream DTS-HD/MA so had to have it go to the AVR as PDM. On up converting the BD35 was slightly better than the PS3 & S350. On this part if I had to list them in order it would be BD35,S350,PS3 but the S350 and PS3 were very close.
Biggest difference for me was I bought the S350 for $150(sonystyle CC deal) and just picked up the BD35 with the Sears deal yesterday for $150.
Both the S350 and the BD35 have BD live and have tried it once just to see if it works. Overrated and wouldn't do it again. Well I guess I shouldn't say overrated more like I don't see what the big deal is(just my opinion though) .
If all you want is a BD player with a good PQ & AQ,both these players are as good as the PS3(IMO they are better) and they can be had for a heck-of-a-lot cheaper. Just thought I would pipe in and give you another option depending on what your after.
Old 11-24-08, 01:34 PM

I have a PS3 (80GB) and I love it to death. I use it first as a BD player, then as a media hub (have all my music collection, family videos, and family pictures stored in it), I use it to connect to youtube and show disney/kids clips to my daughter in my 73" TV, and once i a while I play sport games.

But I originally bought an HD DVD player for $150 because of the price. I bought the PS3 after the format war was over because the stand alone price of a BD player was the same or more than a PS3.

But if at that time I would have found a good BD player for $150, I would have probably gotten it because of the price difference.

That's my 2 cents.
Old 11-25-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SUPERMANROB
even with remote adapter you can't turn it on/off
FYI - this argument is pattenly false. The PS3 remote DOES allow you to turn the system on and off (by holding down the PS button - you get a "Turn off system" screen). This was enabled at least one firmware upgrade ago. As for your other arguments, the ability to upgrade the firmware wirelessly over the internet far more than compensates for your other issues (ugly? who cares?) IMHO.

Last edited by rfduncan; 11-26-08 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-25-08, 03:58 PM

A lot of people don't like the PS3's remote, as it's Bluetooth and not IR like almost every other remote out there. I however really like it, and wish the rest of my remotes were Bluetooth.
Old 11-25-08, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts
I just wish the remote had illuminating buttons like the 360 one.