Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Del Toro Talks Cronos Blu-ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-08, 03:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From blu-ray.com

Posted November 12, 2008 08:24 AM by Josh Dreuth

At a press event for the Blu-ray and DVD release of his latest film 'Hellboy II: The Golden Army', director Guillermo del Toro commented that Lionsgate will soon be announcing a "special Blu-ray edition" of his film 'Cronos'. He commented, "I think I want to revisit, re-time, restructure the sound for the Blu-ray experience in a big way."

When asked if extras would just be ported from the previous DVD release or if more work was being done, he commented, "We're going to do, basically, the most exhausting extras that can ever be put together. There are many editions around the world with different extras, but there is no definitive edition."

Expect an official announcement from the studio soon.
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=2054

Nice!
Old 11-12-08, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet!!! Cant wait for this. I wonder if there will be a regular DVD release as well.
Old 11-12-08, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Great news!

I'll probably pick up the Blu-Ray. Will hold onto my R1 for memories sake
Old 11-12-08, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Now if we could get The Devil's Backbone and Mimic with alittle Blade 2!
Old 03-02-09, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Del Toro Talks Cronos Blu-ray

Any updates on this?
Old 03-31-09, 03:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Any updates on this?
From the Criterion newsletter:

Old 12-06-10, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

If you don't mind paying full-retail, you can get a copy of Cronos that's signed by GdT right here.
Old 12-06-10, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by dx23
From blu-ray.com

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=2054
Quote:
Posted November 12, 2008 08:24 AM by Josh Dreuth

At a press event for the Blu-ray and DVD release of his latest film 'Hellboy II: The Golden Army', director Guillermo del Toro commented that Lionsgate will soon be announcing a "special Blu-ray edition" of his film 'Cronos'. He commented, "I think I want to revisit, re-time, restructure the sound for the Blu-ray experience in a big way."

When asked if extras would just be ported from the previous DVD release or if more work was being done, he commented, "We're going to do, basically, the most exhausting extras that can ever be put together. There are many editions around the world with different extras, but there is no definitive edition."

Expect an official announcement from the studio soon.

Nice!
Lies! I've got this on order and being shipped already, from DD unbelievably, and it doesn't have the most "exhausting extras that can ever be put together". I laughed when I read that. I am looking forward to this release though.
Old 12-06-10, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Lies! I've got this on order and being shipped already, from DD unbelievably, and it doesn't have the most "exhausting extras that can ever be put together". I laughed when I read that. I am looking forward to this release though.
I guess things changed since November 12, 2008.
Old 12-06-10, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, to be fair, I think he just meant in terms of collecting all bonus materials related to this film.
Old 12-07-10, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by slop101
If you don't mind paying full-retail, you can get a copy of Cronos that's signed by GdT right here.
Man I wish I saw this in time. It says unavailable now...
Old 12-07-10, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by ozzfan84
Check again later today or tomorrow - they might have more available.
Old 12-07-10, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

me too but as of right now they do have the DVD available.
Old 12-07-10, 02:01 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.criterion.com/explore/125...l-toros-top-10

Guillermo del Toro’s Top 10

In compiling his top ten Criterions, Cronos director Guillermo del Toro had a hell of a time limiting himself. Del Toro humorously bemoaned the “unfair, arbitrary, and sadistic top ten practice,” so instead he decided on ties or rather, “thematic/authorial pairings.”
1.)
Throne of Blood
High and Low
Ran

Kurosawa’s being one of the essential masters is best represented by these, his most operatic, pessimistic, and visually spectacular films. Try and guess which is which. How he managed to be both exuberant and elegant at the same time will be one of life’s great mysteries.
2.)
Seventh Seal
Fanny & Alexander-TC

Bergman as a fabulist—my favorite—is absolutely mesmerizing. These two films have the primal pulse of a children’s fable told by an impossibly old and wise narrator. Fanny and Alexander is Dickens, Hans Christian Andersen, and John Calvin rolled into one. Both tales are ripe with fantastical imagery and a sharp sense of the uncanny. Also, I am often surprised at how the humor and comedic elements in The Seventh Seal seem to be overlooked in favor of its reputation as a quintessential “serious” art film.
3.)
Beauty and The Beast
Eyes without a Face

Beauty and the Beast may be tenuous and delicate where Eyes Without a Face is overripe and pulpish, but these films are gorgeous, dark poems about fragility and horror. Both fables depend on sublime, almost ethereal, imagery to convey a sense of doom and loss: mad, fragile love clinging for dear life in a maelstrom of darkness. The clash of haunting and enchanting imagery has seldom been more powerful. Eyes Without a Face boasts an extraordinary soundtrack too!
4.)
Great Expectations
Oliver Twist

Most people remember David Lean for his big-scale epics, like Doctor Zhivago, Lawrence of Arabia, or The Bridge on the River Kwai. But here he is at his most precise and poetic. Both movies are epics of the spirit, and both are plagued by grand, utterly magical moments and settings; whether showing Oliver’s mother straining and in pain, by intercutting with a flexing branch of thorns, or by lovingly lingering on Miss Havisham’s decaying splendor, Lean understand the need for hyperbole in order to manage the larger-than-life Dickensian archetypes. Some of the passages in both films skate the fine line between poetry and horror.
Time Bandits
Brazil

Terry Gilliam is a living treasure, and we are squandering him foolishly with every film of his that remains unmade. Proof that our world is the poorer for this can be found in two of his masterpieces. Gilliam is a fabulist pregnant with images—exploding with them, actually—and fierce, untamed imagination. He understands that “bad taste” is the ultimate declaration of independence from the discreet charm of the bourgeoisie. He jumps with no safety net and drags us with him into a world made coherent only by his undying faith in the tale he is telling. Brazil remains one of the most important films of my life, and Time Bandits is a Roald Dahl–ian landmark to all fantasy films. Seeing Time Bandits with my youngest daughter just two weeks ago, I was delighted when she laughed and rejoiced at the moment when Kevin’s parents explode into a cloud of smoke.
6.)
Onibaba
(Tied with Kuroneko.) Horrors and desire, death and lust go hand in hand in Onibaba and Kuroneko, a perverse, sweaty double bill from Kaneto Shindo. I saw these two films at age ten, and they did some serious damage to my psyche. Both are perfect fables rooted in Japanese folklore but distinctly modern in their approach to violence and sexuality. As exuberant and exquisite as a netsuke carving, these atmospheric jewels show mankind trapped in a cosmically evil world. The tales seem to fit together so perfectly that they fuse into one as time goes by. Onibaba and Kuroneko make a perfect double bill for the second circle of hell.
7.)
Spartacus
Paths of Glory

Kubrick was a fearsome intellect. His approach to filmmaking and storytelling remains as mysterious at it is compelling. The illusion of control over the medium is total. Both films speak eloquently about the scale of a man against the tide of history, and both raise the bar for every “historical” film to follow. Paths of Glory is a searing indictment of the war machine, as pertinent now as it was in its day. I suspect, however, that Kubrick was also a highly instinctive director, and that he grasped incessantly for his films. An anecdote tells us of him begging Kirk Douglas to stay in bed a few more days after an accident, because Kubrick was using the “downtime” to understand the film they were making.
8.)
Sullivan's Travels
Unfaithfully Yours

The candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long, as the saying goes—and Sturges’s films and meteoric, puzzling career confirm this. These are masterful films full of mad energy and fireworks, but Sullivan’s Travels also manages to encapsulate one of the most intimate reflections about the role of the filmmaker as entertainer. Many have attempted to mine the same field as Sturges, and all have failed. A rara avis in the landscape of film.
9.)
Vampyr
Haxan

Sheer terror and sheer poetry, but both stem from distinctive medieval traditions. Häxan is the filmic equivalent of a hellish engraving by Bruegel or a painting by Bosch. It’s a strangely titillating record of sin and perversity that is as full of dread as it is of desire and atheistic conviction, and a condemnation of superstition that is morbidly in love with its subject. Vampyr is, strictly speaking, a memento mori, a stern reminder of death as the threshold of spiritual liberation. Like any memento mori, the film enthrones the right morbid imagery (skull, scythe, white limbo) in order to maximize the impact of the beautiful, almost intangible images that conclude it. If only Criterion had acquired my commentary track—sigh—from the UK edition.
10.)
Spirit of The Beehive
Night of The Hunter

The two supreme works of childhood/horror. Lamentations of worlds lost and the innocents trapped in them. Sublime fairy tales of despair that depict the adult world as a toxic environment for kids to exist in. Secret treasures kept in the hearts of children must be safeguarded from the corruption of an adult world full of certainty and arrogance. Both films are so beautiful and so dark—they truly make me weep in awe.
Old 12-07-10, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

It's currently listed again.

I ordered mine.
Old 12-07-10, 03:02 PM

Yessss!!! Order placed. Do you think he'll sign the case, or the insert?
Old 12-07-10, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

... he commented, "We're going to do, basically, the most exhausting extras that can ever be put together.
Personally, I would have preferred "the most exhaustive extras".

If I wanted the "most exhausting extras", I'd purchase a Jazzercise or Aerobics DVD instead.
Old 12-07-10, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Kmical
Personally, I would have preferred "the most exhaustive extras".

If I wanted the "most exhausting extras", I'd purchase a Jazzercise or Aerobics DVD instead.
lol! I wonder if he even broke a sweat putting these extras together.
Old 12-07-10, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Major kudos to Del Toro for making an awesome list of favorite Criterions! Most of the ones he's mentioned are favorites of mine as well. However, there were a few I hadn't seen yet. I'll have to check them out sometime soon now.
Old 12-07-10, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Damn. I never buy Criterion's upon release as anything remotely near $40 shipped is way too rich for my blood on a single film. To get a signed copy of Cronos I'd be willing to make an exception... unfortunately, I really can't afford to at this point in time.
Old 12-07-10, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Didn't even know Del Toro did a commentary on the UK release of Vampyr. That would have been killer on the R1 Criterion.
Old 12-10-10, 04:54 PM

Just got my signed copy in today! Very nice of del Toro to do this, am very happy with the purchase.

For those wondering, the blu ray came without shrinkwrap, and he just signed vertically on the outside of the front cover in silver marker.
Old 12-10-10, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

He signed the plastic case?
Old 12-10-10, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
He signed the plastic case?
Sounds like the signature is on the outside of the artwork jacket. Not on the case.
Old 12-10-10, 10:53 PM

Sorry for the confusion, here's a picture:

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.