Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

"Blu-ray is dead" proclaims Robin Harrs.

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

"Blu-ray is dead" proclaims Robin Harrs.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-08, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hulk was not a good movie to base BD sales on, as mentioned above. A better movie to compare will be Dark Knight. While it was a comic book movie, it drew a much larger audience based on reviews and word of mouth. I'm guessing BD sales will be 5% or less of DVD sales.
Old 11-02-08, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by tonymontana313
Looks like another opinion piece.

You know, I try to stay out of the the arguing and such but I have to ask, why do we continue giving opinion pieces as the OP article continued attention?
Because if we don't, most people will believe the bullshit. Everytime some idiot comes up with an opinion, I think it's great we debate it here. Because then those who have questions and who might just want a second opinion, will see posts like this and read our own opinions.

The opinions from those who actually have the product, and use it, versus some goober who just bought a 10ft HT setup and thinks he's the authority on the subject. Reminds of those guys who buy Nikon D3, Canon 1D and 5D DSLRs, and now they're amazingly the experts on photography.
Old 11-02-08, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,945 Likes on 1,280 Posts
Originally Posted by edstein
I'm guessing BD sales will be 5% or less of DVD sales.
While I wouldn't venture a guess either way, this could be a 'system seller' -- the sort of movie that might drive people to want to pick up a Blu-ray player.
Old 11-02-08, 12:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The fact that the CNN.com Fortune article calls it one of the years biggest flops has me much more worried than the Harris article. I doubt that DVD made that list 8 or 9 years ago.
Old 11-02-08, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
Some will say that is just because of a couple big comic book movies being out, appealing to the PS3 demographic, and the numbers are not really climbing that drastically.
Well most of the comic book movies have done pretty well on BD. I just want to see more classics and non action films be successful.

BTW, the person that came up with that Green-ray idea for the release was brilliant. I'm betting that sold a few copies of Hulk.
Old 11-02-08, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 137 Posts
So why would Blu-Ray help sell Sony's pricey DVD players anyway?

Geez if you're going to write an article about something at least be accurate.
Old 11-02-08, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,945 Likes on 1,280 Posts
Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Geez if you're going to write an article about something at least be accurate.
It's a pretty common misperception and one more hurdle Blu-ray still has to overcome.

Just skimming recent Google News headlines, I see plenty of articles like the following:

Although the partnership will deliver content from Netflix through Samsung's Blu-Ray DVD players, the Blu-Ray format could be threatened...
If you’ve wanted a Blu-ray DVD player, there’s never been a better time to get one, as retailers are drastically reducing prices...
Blu-ray won earlier this year, when Toshiba dropped its HD DVD format, theoretically opening the floodgates for more sales of Blu-ray DVD players...
Meanwhile, digital technology research firm Parks Associates is lowering its Blu-ray DVD sales projections by 25 percent for the next few quarters...
It is arguably the highest quality Blu-ray DVD that has ever been made.
Sales of the “Iron Man” Blu-Ray DVD are simultaneously smashing, shattering, blasting and demolishing various records for titles sold in the next-gen DVD...
These aren't from random, clueless bloggers: many of these are from sources like USA Today, the Wall Street Journal, Variety, and the New York Times. If big, influential media sources with those sorts of credentials can't get it right, will some random schlub on the street realize that Blu-ray is a new format and not just an extension of DVD? Are the studios and the BDA doing enough to indicate that Blu-ray isn't just DVD with beefier resolution?
Old 11-02-08, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
Well, it would be nice if we had a better HD representation in B&M stores--meaning more than just having Blu-ray titles at the front of the store like we do at Best Buy. I remember how they were going to be the forefront of Blu-ray. Maybe that's what they meant.

But from my own HD DVD Supporter perspective, Blu-ray is gaining momentum. If we had the same type of instant communication back in the late 90's for DVD and proliferation of bloggers, I would imagine DVD would have had one hell of an obstacle being up against the VHS supporters.
Old 11-02-08, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by chanster
The only percentage that is important is the one I quoted from Robin Harris and Pro-B somehow forgot to quote and find a way to say isn't true.
I have not forgotten to quote. It is not used as it is incorrect. What source does the blogger quote so easily confirming the 4% market share that you and everyone else cannot have access to?

Originally Posted by chanster
Blu Ray has "4% share of US movie disc sales." Period. Not enough, not 20% - 25% of market share, and I'm guessing that the power buyers they hope to entice have already gone over to Blu Ray and are not buying as much as they hope.
That is fine, you could certainly assume that this is the case. But I'd take the opinion of those who actually control the content and direct the market and are cautiously optimistic in this difficult economy (Kornblau) over what you guess.

Pro-B
Old 11-02-08, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
But from my own HD DVD Supporter perspective, Blu-ray is gaining momentum. If we had the same type of instant communication back in the late 90's for DVD and proliferation of bloggers, I would imagine DVD would have had one hell of an obstacle being up against the VHS supporters.
Absolutely!

Pro-B
Old 11-02-08, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by edstein
Hulk was not a good movie to base BD sales on, as mentioned above. A better movie to compare will be Dark Knight. While it was a comic book movie, it drew a much larger audience based on reviews and word of mouth. I'm guessing BD sales will be 5% or less of DVD sales.
Nah, I bet TDK sets records for total BD units moved, and overall highest percentages of any one title in the format's history. My unscientific prediction is that TDK will bcome the Matrix of the format.

Who cares about all this gloom & doom anyway? So it's a niche format, big deal? We've got lots of great titles out & many more announced through '09. We're all enthusiasts around here, so let's make it our format. J6P can stick with 480i.

I was an all-out HD DVD supporter, and continue to believe that it would have made an easier, and more successful transition from DVD. That said, I'm buyin' the Blu-rays I want, and will probably pick up a BD35 to go with my new Kuro this Christmas. (My PS3 can then go to the bedroom with my older monitor).

So let the naysayers be damned. It's not the perfect format, but it's the best one around right now, and I think it will be here for a while to come.
Old 11-02-08, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
Give me a break. BD is 3 years old. Discs should not come out that don't play in every player, period. I can't fathom how any can even think this is spinnable in a positive way. I never, EVER had to update firmware on a DVD player. EVER. BD needs to stabilize a standard platform and stop fucking with it.

I agree that price and perceived incremental quality are obstacles for BD, but ease of use is also a huge problem.
It's been a while, and I didn't have a player until January of 2007, but did the first 6 months' worth of titles have these kinds of issues?

If not, wasn't that before they started using BD+, BD-J, and BD-Live? I have a feeling these (especially BD+) are responsible for many of these problems. DVD players simply read the disc and decoded the info. BD players have to run programs (virtual machines, in the case of BD+), which probably put them at a higher risk for issues.

As for the tech flops, Vista and BD are two things I really like, so maybe I'm drawn to "flops." In any case, the fact that they're calling it a "Blu-ray DVD player" just shows they haven't done their research and aren't to be taken seriously.
Old 11-02-08, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
I have not forgotten to quote. It is not used as it is incorrect. What source does the blogger quote so easily confirming the 4% market share that you and everyone else cannot have access to?

That is fine, you could certainly assume that this is the case. But I'd take the opinion of those who actually control the content and direct the market and are cautiously optimistic in this difficult economy (Kornblau) over what you guess.

Pro-B
I see, you call the number incorrect? Please state your sources.

Even Bill Hunt in his response to the article did not claim that number was incorrect. If you are going to claim the number is incorrect, state your sources. If you can't, the number stands. I presume that Mr. Hunt has a lot of Blu Ray sources, and if the number was incorrect, I'm sure he would be screaming from the mountaintops.

Last edited by chanster; 11-02-08 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-02-08, 03:14 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts
You mean in this day and age we don't have easily available definite numbers as to BR vs DVD unit sales?

I would guess about 2 or maybe 3% based on what I see in stores.
Old 11-02-08, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Since we have a BD is dead thread

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/...fortune/4.html

9 Biggest Flops of the Year

#4 - Blu-ray
Are you glad we have this thread?

Being a "supporter" of Blu-ray, why would you go and find a negative article to post in this thread?

Being a "supporter" of Blu-ray, do you not want the format to succeed?
Old 11-02-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Chanster,

1. Do you own a Blu-ray player?
2. Do you plan on owning a Blu-ray player?

If the answers are both no, why are you spending time in Blu-ray threads? Ironically, it seems to always be the ones calling for the format's death.

I've asked this before, but what is it that you bring to the discussion of the format? How do you help out those of us who actually own the format or those who are interested? What is the value behind your posts?

Since I don't own a Xbox 360, I don't spend time in the Xbox 360 thread in the Video Game forum. Also, if you aren't interested in the 360, I don't think you're supposed to be allowed in that thread.

Should the same rules apply for Blu-ray? If you have 0 interest in the format, should you be allowed in Blu-ray threads?

Is it trolling?
Old 11-02-08, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

LOL. Time and time again, the mods have said people have a right to discuss high def, blu ray or hd dvd. Ownership is not a prerequiste to posting anything, but thanks for calling me a troll. I appreciate it. I didn't post this thread, I am just contributing to it, and just quoted a number from the number "4 percent" from the story posted in this thread.

I think its funny when you quote real numbers from the story, you get called a troll. I didn't attack anyone, which is more than I can say about the about the post above me.
Old 11-02-08, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Can you answer my questions?
Old 11-02-08, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I expect people who own the format, or those who are interested in owning the format to post. But those who want it to fail...I don't understand why they would spend time posting. I find it strange.
Old 11-02-08, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If all of us own a Blu-ray player and have bought Blu-ray discs, then by definition we are all supporters. And if we're all supporters then, according to you, there's no reason to debate.

It seems like a thread like this would be most beneficial to someone that doesn't own the format yet.
Old 11-02-08, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why do I have to answer questions to a person calling me a troll? Seriously, your post is designed to derail this thread, which has been a discussion about the article. So no, I don't have to answer your inappropiate questions.
Old 11-02-08, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Chanster,

1. Do you own a Blu-ray player?
2. Do you plan on owning a Blu-ray player?

If the answers are both no, why are you spending time in Blu-ray threads? Ironically, it seems to always be the ones calling for the format's death.

I've asked this before, but what is it that you bring to the discussion of the format? How do you help out those of us who actually own the format or those who are interested? What is the value behind your posts?

Since I don't own a Xbox 360, I don't spend time in the Xbox 360 thread in the Video Game forum. Also, if you aren't interested in the 360, I don't think you're supposed to be allowed in that thread.

Should the same rules apply for Blu-ray? If you have 0 interest in the format, should you be allowed in Blu-ray threads?

Is it trolling?
Comic relief.
Old 11-02-08, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
If all of us own a Blu-ray player and have bought Blu-ray discs, then by definition we are all supporters. And if we're all supporters then, according to you, there's no reason to debate.

It seems like a thread like this would be most beneficial to someone that doesn't own the format yet.
BD threads are beneficial to people who, A. either own the format, or B. are interested in it.

What BD threads are beneficial to someone who has 0 interest in owning the format?
Old 11-02-08, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Sorry, but that is not going to cut it. You jump on people constantly for not posting a source. If you know the 4% is incorrect please post your source. If you have proof the blogger has no access to the percentage post proof. If not then the 4% stands for now until we can get better sales numbers. Something the BDA seems to want to keep secret.
Old 11-02-08, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
If not then the 4% stands for now until we can get better sales numbers. Something the BDA seems to want to keep secret.
I'm not sure about the "4% stands for now" comment, but I agree that the % is most likely pathetic. Did anyone here think that BD sales would be this sluggish after HD DVD pulled out?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.