Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Black Friday Blu-Ray Prices, the $179 BD Player

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Black Friday Blu-Ray Prices, the $179 BD Player

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-08, 10:10 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Grubert
Firstly, how can you be so sure what firmware version will be on the S350s sold at Sears a month from now?

Secondly, even if they should ship with an out-of-date firmware version, it stands to reason that if you want to access BD-Live you have, like, Internet. Right? So you update the firmware and Bob's your uncle.

Did the Toshiba XA2 support 24p. Yes - with a firmware update. It would be petty and unproductive to say otherwise.

We all agree that the PS3 is 2.0 now. Right? Now, what if you go into a shop to buy a PS3 and you grab one they have lying around with a 2.10 firmware on it? Is that PS3 1.1 or 2.0?

The argument is moot.
You want to start an argument about this?

The S350 is 1.1 out of the box, today. Period.
Even if it comes with the profile 2.0 "firmware" at a later date, you will still need a 1GB Flashdrive to make it truly 2.0. So, to many, it will be 1.1.

If I bought an S350 today, even with the 2.0 firmware I wouldn't be able to get online due to lack of 1GB Flashdrive like I mentioned in post #10
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/9034701-post10.html
The 350 is 2.0 with a firmware update (and 1GB flash drive you would have to buy and stick in the back of the unit).
He simply thought it was 2.0 already hence
I thought that the 350 was 2.0 out of the box. That's why I though it was strange that the Sony Profile 2.0 player was going to be cheaper than the Samsung 1.1 player that needs to be upgraded to 2.0.
which is why I responded "No its 1.1" which is answering his question.

Calm. Down. This, again, has nothing to do with HD DVD that you randomly decided to bring up. And in that case it was an extra feature that was no where advertised on the box and came as an unexpected surprise unlike BD-Live capable on the S350.

Last edited by Gizmo; 10-29-08 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-29-08, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
You want to start an argument about this?
No, that's your specialty. Ask pro-bassoonist.

The S350 is 1.1 out of the box, today. Period.
It is not. You don't know that.

Even if it comes with the profile 2.0 "firmware" at a later date, you will still need a 1GB Flashdrive to make it truly 2.0. So, to many, it will be 1.1.
That's like saying that it doesn't support HDMI because an HDMI cable isn't bundled with the player.

He simply thought it was 2.0 already hence

which is why I responded "No its 1.1" which is answering his question.
It's 1.1 if you live in some kind of psycho attorney world. It is 2.0.

Calm. Down. This, again, has nothing to do with HD DVD that you randomly decided to bring up.
I didn't bring up "HD DVD" at all. I gave two examples, one the XA2, the other the PS3, of HDM players whose features were enabled by firmware upgrades.

Features of a player are determined by latest firmware, regardless of whether you actually have the latest firmware in your specific player or not.

Last edited by Grubert; 10-29-08 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-29-08, 10:24 AM
Suspended

It is not.
So, if I go buy a S350 and its 1.1 out of the box...what then?

Grubert, this is not HDD. If you want to argue I would suggest taking it over there. I am answering his question which is 100% correct as it stands today. You and your friend you mentioned above may not want to believe that but I simply don't care. It appears as-if you and him only show up in this forum to start trouble or correct someone with some snide attitude. Its getting old now.
Old 10-29-08, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I know its 2.0 now (as I've been contemplating re-buying it again), but he was asking if it was 2.0 out of the box..which it isn't. A firmware update and a 1GB flashdrive have to be used to make it so.
This is much ado about nothing. The question was if this unit was 2.0 out of the box and as of now it isn't. No one was disputing the existence of an upgrade, but that does not change the answer to this question. This unit is not 2.0 out of the box.
Old 10-29-08, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So, if I go buy a S350 and its 1.1 out of the box...what then?
What then?

You update the firmware:
http://esupport.sony.com/perl/swu-do...99&mdl=BDPS350

What's the big deal? I've updated the firmware multiple times on a lot of devices, including the Tosh HD-A1, the PS3, the Panasonic BD30 and the Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver (that was a real hassle - recording an audio CD and playing it on a DVD player connected to the receiver via digital coaxial). And I'm sure you have done the same with your gear.
Old 10-29-08, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Straker
I'm continuing to hold out for a $150 or better 1.1 player from a major manufacturer. Either that or a $200 model with a few free discs.
You can with the current Amazon $100 off deal. For me, the Samsung P1500 and 4 movies were $186.

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
This is much ado about nothing. The question was if this unit was 2.0 out of the box and as of now it isn't. No one was disputing the existence of an upgrade, but that does not change the answer to this question. This unit is not 2.0 out of the box.
Yep. And I think Grubert is the one stretching here for an argument.
Old 10-29-08, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not going to debate you, Jerry. I'm not going to debate.
Old 10-29-08, 11:52 AM
Suspended

What then?

You update the firmware:
http://esupport.sony.com/perl/swu-do...99&mdl=BDPS350

What's the big deal? I've updated the firmware multiple times on a lot of devices, including the Tosh HD-A1, the PS3, the Panasonic BD30 and the Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver (that was a real hassle - recording an audio CD and playing it on a DVD player connected to the receiver via digital coaxial). And I'm sure you have done the same with your gear.
I'm not talking about the firmware. He asked if it was 2.0 out of the box and it isn't. Period. Unless Sony plans on packing a 1GB flashdrive inside each box and including the new 2.0 firmware already installed it is, in fact, not 2.0 out of the box. The same goes for the Samsung 1500 which requires both of those things - one of which which entail making an additional purchase of an item if you don't already have an extra compatible 1GB flash drive.

The S550 is a great example of something that is 2.0 out of the box - not only does it come with the firmware 2.0 already installed but Sony did pack a 1GB flash drive as well. That means with everything included in the box one could acess BD-Live.

I'm done discussing this topic with you, Grubert.
Old 10-29-08, 12:05 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
That's like saying that it doesn't support HDMI because an HDMI cable isn't bundled with the player.
A player with an HDMI output is HDMI compatible. You need an HDMI cable to use that function. If a player didn't come with an HDMI cable, don't you think you would point it out to a potential buyer that they'll need to buy one?

It's 1.1 if you live in some kind of psycho attorney world. It is 2.0.
Grubert, it seems like your only argument here is the definition of the phrase "out of the box." Right now, that player is 1.1 out of the box, with the option to upgrade to 2.0. Even if later units come with the firmware updated, it's still not 2.0 without a 1 gb flash drive. So, unless the player later includes a 1 gb flash drive, it's not 2.0 out of the box. Is it 2.0 compatible? Yes. But it's not 2.0 enabled when you first open it and that's the end of the discussion.

That kind of comment is wholly uncalled for. Cool your jets.
Old 10-29-08, 12:10 PM

Saw that Amazon deal and it was very tempting but there were only 2 movies on their short list that appealed to me, so I gave it a pass. Couldn't see wasting $35-40 on a couple of discs I really didn't want. I think we'll see better deals as BF approaches.
Old 10-29-08, 12:17 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Straker
Saw that Amazon deal and it was very tempting but there were only 2 movies on their short list that appealed to me, so I gave it a pass. Couldn't see wasting $35-40 on a couple of discs I really didn't want. I think we'll see better deals as BF approaches.
You could always re-sell the other 2 titles. Batman Begins and Speed Racer seem to have a decent re-sell price on variuous webforums. I debated getting the 1500 and 4 movies for the sub $200 price but I'm not really a Samsung fan and think Amazon might do a similar deal with the S350 at some point in the very near future. IIRC, the Samsung 1500 was only more recently added - it was just the Sylvania player before.
Old 10-29-08, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not talking about the firmware. He asked if it was 2.0 out of the box and it isn't. Period. Unless Sony plans on packing a 1GB flashdrive inside each box and including the new 2.0 firmware already installed it is, in fact, not 2.0 out of the box. The same goes for the Samsung 1500 which requires both of those things - one of which which entail making an additional purchase of an item if you don't already have an extra compatible 1GB flash drive.

The S550 is a great example of something that is 2.0 out of the box - not only does it come with the firmware 2.0 already installed but Sony did pack a 1GB flash drive as well. That means with everything included in the box one could acess BD-Live.

I'm done discussing this topic with you, Grubert.
Then I suggest you discuss it with yourself. Look at what you said two days ago:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/9032876-post542.html

Well, the Samsung is now 2.0 where the Sylvania never will be.
(emphasis added)

When the situation of the BD-P1500 and the S350 is identical:

- Installing most recent firmware required: check
- Non included storage required: check

If the BD-P1500 "is now 2.0" then the S350 is now 2.0 too. Just as I said.
Old 10-29-08, 03:11 PM
Suspended

Sad, just sad.

I'd recommend going back to HDD where you can have several of your friends back you up on how "right" you are.

Because, much like was written above, the player is not 2.0 out of the box. Something you will never fully understand. I wish you the best of luck Grubert trying to defend that because until Sony packs a 1GB flash drive in each S350 box you will, forever, be wrong.

And with that, I add you to my block list so I don't have to read anymore of your posts. You're simply here to bicker and argue and I'm not going to have any more of it.

Last edited by Gizmo; 10-29-08 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-29-08, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd recommend going back to HDD where you can have several of your friends back you up on how "right" you are.
See, I'm actually not just saying I'm right. I'm saying you were right when you said that the Samsung 1500 is now 2.0.

Because, much like was written above, the player is not 2.0 out of the box.
Yes it is. It is BD-Live compliant. Look it up. The BD35 is also BD-Live compliant even though it requires an SD card.
http://reviews.cnet.com/video-player...ml?api&subj=re

And so on, and so forth.

Something you will never fully understand. I wish you the best of luck Grubert trying to defend that because until Sony packs a 1GB flash drive in each S350 box you will, forever, be wrong.
Oh no. Does that mean you were wrong two days ago?

And with that, I add you to my block list so I don't have to read anymore of your posts. You're simply here to bicker and argue and I'm not going to have any more of it.
Fair enough. Hope you don't mind if I don't do the same.

Use your own advice: Calm. Down.

Last edited by Grubert; 10-29-08 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-29-08, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Man, this is an intense thread. Maybe you two need to share some beers/doobie to get along better
Old 10-29-08, 03:50 PM

Talk about taking a discussion off-topic! I can't believe the egos involved. Is it really so important to both of you that you be right all the time? Give it a rest, both of you. You've each made your points.
Old 10-29-08, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
While I've seen cases where Gizmo went on needlessly, I'd say he's entirely right here. Not sure why Grubert is trying to argue a really weak case of semantics and "out of the box."
Old 10-29-08, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
While I've seen cases where Gizmo went on needlessly, I'd say he's entirely right here. Not sure why Grubert is trying to argue a really weak case of semantics and "out of the box."
Because Gizmo is just arguing out of stubbornness. If he thought otherwise he wouldn't have said that the Sammy P1500 is 2.0.

And in answer to SPRBD, I don't have an ego. I'm just a big fan of facts, and a big enemy of misinformation. Anyone who has read my posts in the past 3 years can attest to that.

The Sony S350 is BD-Live compliant. That's what a prospective player buyer needs to know. Which is what this thread is about. Right?

End of discussion.
Old 10-29-08, 04:16 PM

The Sony S350 is BD-Live compliant. That's what a prospective player buyer needs to know. Which is what this thread is about. Right?

End of discussion.
No, its about sale prices on Black Friday. Can we all shut the hell up now?
Old 10-29-08, 04:46 PM

Sorry to cause such a commotion. Gizmo answered my question the way I wanted. Sorry, Grubert, if your misunderstood my "out of the box" statement, and I do appreciate that you wanted to make sure the facts were made. That is why I brought up the point to begin with. Here's what is listed on the Blu-Ray Disc Player Thread in this very forum:

Sony BDP-S350 (BDP-BX1)
Operating manual
• Currently available; $300
• Profile 2.0
• No Analog 5.1 or 7.1 channel audio output
• Onboard decoding of Dolby TrueHD
• Bitstream output of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio over HDMI 1.3 to capable receivers

Samsung BD-P1500
• Currently available, MSRP $400
• Profile 1.1 (2.0 capable)
• No multichannel analog output
• Onboard decoding of Dolby TrueHD for output over analog and HDMI, no onboard decoding of DTS-HD Master Audio
• Bitstream output of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio for output over HDMI 1.3 to capable receivers

To me, that says that the 350 is 2.0 out of the box, while the 1500 is 1.1 out of the box, but upgradable to 2.0. A Blu-Ray player is not considered 2.0 out of the box unless the firmware is already installed and the memory included. It is considered 2.0 capable (or compatible or whatever you want to call it) if it can be upgraded with a firmware update and a jump drive. Therefore, Gupert, your argument is flawed. The manufacturer may decided to go ahead and install the firmware on an older model for new units being shipped, but unless they include the memory it is still not 2.0 "out of the box". Now, if someone wanted to explain the Blu-Ray Disc Player thread (which is where I got my information) or claim that it needs to be changed, then that's OK. The reason I even brought this up (and bringing all this back to topic) is that if the 350 was 2.0 out of the box, it may make someone consider paying the extra $30 at Sears (if the Samsung was $150 elsewhere as predicted). Granted, someone could purchase the $150 Samsung, download the firmware and install a $5-$10 jump drive, and they are still paying less. But for some, the $30 may be worth it to keep from the hassle or having a jump drive sticking out of their player.
Old 10-29-08, 04:58 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mod Note: And with that, I think we can call this 1.1/2.0 discussion officially over. Let's get back to Black Friday sales on Blu-ray players.
Old 10-29-08, 04:59 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by obidawsn
Sorry to cause such a commotion. Gizmo answered my question the way I wanted.

But for some, the $30 may be worth it to keep from the hassle or having a jump drive sticking out of their player.

You're welcome.

As for the sticking out part, the jump drive goes into the back of the S350 so you won't see it. Not sure how where the slot for the 1500 is.
Old 10-29-08, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by obidawsn
Now, if someone wanted to explain the Blu-Ray Disc Player thread (which is where I got my information) or claim that it needs to be changed, then that's OK.
I'll just say this (hope it is allowed): that player thread is user generated and thus not totally authoritative and subject to occasional error. Just like the Internet Movie Database.

In this case, the profile listing is incorrect: either both are "profile 2.0" or both are "profile 1.1 (2.0 capable)". I'm not going to argue which anymore.

The reason I even brought this up (and bringing all this back to topic) is that if the 350 was 2.0 out of the box, it may make someone consider paying the extra $30 at Sears (if the Samsung was $150 elsewhere as predicted). Granted, someone could purchase the $150 Samsung, download the firmware and install a $5-$10 jump drive, and they are still paying less. But for some, the $30 may be worth it to keep from the hassle or having a jump drive sticking out of their player.
Both require a USB stick. Both have a USB socket at the back.
Old 10-29-08, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 356 Likes on 239 Posts
Even though I think Grubert was the one being needlessly argumentative in this case, he was right on one point:
In order to meet the Profile 2.0 spec, a Blu-ray player just needs an ethernet connection (with 2.0-capable firmware of course) and the capability to support 1GB of storage. In other words, a player does not have to come with a jump drive or memory card to meet the profile 2.0 specification, as long as it has a USB port or memory card slot.
Old 10-29-08, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since I haven't heard yet of anything truly compelling on BD-Live, I was unaware entirely that you needed 1GB of memory to be fully 2.0 functional. Good to know.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.