Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-18, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Repeat viewing. Fun movie. Strange pastel color pallette. It wasn't quite so bold in the movie theater but I remember thinking my glasses must have been dirty because the colors seemed to bleed together. Turns out that was an artistic choice but it was a very pastel time period.

Live action 2D version. In the theater I thought Emma Watson's singing was a little lacking. Not Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan Mamma Mia campy kind of singing. Pleasant but not powerful. Very pleased with the whole movie on this repeat viewing.
Old 06-24-18, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 797 Likes on 648 Posts

A movie that did not have to be made
Old 06-24-18, 08:26 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 393 Likes on 259 Posts

Watched Skyline this evening (not nearly as bad as critics made it out to be), followed by an episode of Grimm (S3): My Fair Wesen.
Old 06-25-18, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was ok but don't understand all the positive reviews.

The acting was mediocre.
Old 06-25-18, 08:23 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Watched Beyond Skyline this evening (my wife says better than the first one, I say not bad at all), followed by an episode of Grimm (S3): The Inheritance.
Old 06-25-18, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Andrea Arnold's short film on the Fish Tank Blu-Ray called Wasp. I love both feature lengths film she's done since. And I totally get why Wasp won the Academy Award for Best Short Film. It's very powerful, at a little less than a half-hour. One of my favorite filmmakers currently working. I look forward to what she does in the future...Her last film was American Honey and it was great...even Shia was good in that one, but the lead actress was especially great...
Old 06-26-18, 05:44 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
The Strangers

Very, very creepy movie
A good recommendation!!
Old 06-26-18, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 247 Likes on 182 Posts

Being John Malkovich Criterion -Malkovich Malkovich!
Old 06-26-18, 08:38 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

After watching a DVD this evening, we watched 2 episodes of Grimm, the last episode of S3: Blond Ambition and the first episode of S4: Thanks for the Memories.
Old 06-27-18, 09:16 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Watched Mad Max (Collector's Edition) this evening, followed by 2 episodes of Grimm (S4): Octopus Head and The Last Fight.
Old 06-28-18, 09:06 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Watched 2 episodes of Grimm (S4) while we ate dinner earlier: Dyin' on a Prayer and Cry Luison.

Watched The Road Warrior (2013 Warner Bros. release) this evening, followed by 2 episodes of Grimm (S4): Highway of Tears and The Grimm Who Stole Christmas.

My god, the audio on this Road Warrior release SUCKS! You could barely hear the dialogue while the music/sound effects were insanely loud. And this even after making adjustments for a stereo setup.

Last edited by kd5; 06-30-18 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-29-18, 08:57 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Watched Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome (2013 Warner Bros. release) this evening, followed by 2 episodes of Grimm (S4): Chupacabra and Wesenrein.
Old 06-30-18, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You can take the girl out of the trailer park, but you can't take the trailer park out of the girl. Filmmakers admitted to getting wildly different versions of events from those interviewed and went on to make an entertaining feature with a conglomeration of all of them. Harding admittedly was pretty fucked up with an abusive husband and an even more abusive mother. My wife is a special ed teacher and 9 times out of 10, the kids are fucked up because the parents are fucked up. Doesn't excuse any criminal behavior on her part but I believe there were many aspects of her life she had no control over.

I read where the Kerrigan camp thought it was overly supportive or sympathetic to Harding. It certainly showed the crap show she grew up in. Showed the attack but didn't show any of the effects on Kerrigan.

As with any of these movies based on real events, would have liked to see a nice documentary in the extras.
Old 06-30-18, 01:22 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Watched 2 episodes of Grimm (S4) while we ate dinner: Tribunal and Death Do Us Part.
Old 06-30-18, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The season 2 premiere "The Prodigal Son"

If you are a tween you might like this but to me it was mediocre.
Old 07-01-18, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A guy that looks like Ice Cube and an aging flabby King Leonidas make a for a fairly typical heist flick. All the requisite "almost caught" moments are there along with a twist at the end. Some good gratuitous nudity and a crapload of bullets flying made it a decent rental but not a keeper.
Old 07-01-18, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 385 Likes on 319 Posts

Spring (2014)
Old 07-01-18, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I did not know it was a comedy and thought it was action all the way through.
Old 07-01-18, 08:30 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Watched 2 episodes of Grimm (S4) while we ate dinner earlier: Maréchaussée and Trial by Fire.

Watched Mad Max: Fury Road this evening, followed by an episode of Grimm (S4): Bad Luck.

Last edited by kd5; 07-02-18 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-02-18, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

007: On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Had never sat through the whole thing before, and the Blu-Ray looked great. Honestly, I liked what Lazenby did with the role, although I see why they went back to Connery. He was just tonally much, much different...I also thought the score was unusual but rather effective for a Bond film...The landscapes and whatnot were also breathtaking at times...Not one of the best Bond movies, but far, far from being one of the worst...A nice way to spend a couple of hours...Hoping to watch 007: Thunderball later on today, but I'm taking a break from Bond to rewatch Carol...The first couple times I tried watching that movie I kept getting interrupted (work, relatives, phone calls, etc.), so I'd like to watch it the whole way through...
Old 07-02-18, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Carol. Another interesting Todd Haynes movie, starring Cate Blanchett and Rooney Mara (a personal favorite; loved her in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Social Network). Like the vastly superior Far From Heaven, this is clearly another Haynes movies that has a lot of shades of Douglas Sirk from the 1950s. This time, the plot didn't do quite enough to hook me, even though I should add that Kyle Chandler was very good in the key role that he played. While I do like the movie, there were a lot better ones released in 2015, so I'd have to classify this as lesser Haynes.
Old 07-02-18, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Jules Feiffer script, Alan Arkin directing, Elliott Gould surrounded by a great group of supporting players.

I hadn't even heard of the film prior to seeing Indicator's press release for it. I'm a fan of all involved, so I was looking forward to checking it out. Not what I expected.

I was looking forward to a black comedy, but after a low key, deadpan start it ends up becoming increasingly broader until by the end it's positively cartoonish. And nihilistic.
The main thrust of it seems to be about all the little assaults(murders) one has to endure trying to navigate through through contemporary society- which in this case is pretty much an urban hellscape (NYC in the early 70's).

I'll revisit it in a few years, but frankly I enjoyed a lower common denominator take like Neil Simon's Prisoner Of Second Avenue much more.
Old 07-02-18, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Editor. Very disappointed. Basically, the filmmakers tried to show "homage" to their favorite films and filmmakers, most notably, Lucio Fulci and the movie Hitch-Hike. They still manage to mix in a little bit of Argento, but overall all of the "tributes" they make to those great filmmakers are way to "on-the-nose", particularly all of the references to Hitch-Hike. When the movie started, the references were relatively subtle, but then it gets to a point where they more-or-less rip off that vastly superior film, providing no additional commentary for doing so. While I appreciate them being fans of giallo movies, in general, I can't say that their efforts were worthwhile. The gore is definitely there. They dubbed the dialogue so that it looks and sounds like an Italian movie from the 70s, but it doesn't help. Lackluster, and I wouldn't recommend watching unless you somehow find yourself locked in a remote cabin and have absolutely nothing else to watch but this one Blu-Ray. Then? Sure, watch it.
Old 07-02-18, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you are coming out of the closet this movie would probably hit deeper.

Still it had some funny moments.

The ending still gets me and shed some tears. One of Tim Burton's unheralded masterpieces.
Old 07-02-18, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,923 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester

A guy that looks like Ice Cube and an aging flabby King Leonidas make a for a fairly typical heist flick. All the requisite "almost caught" moments are there along with a twist at the end. Some good gratuitous nudity and a crapload of bullets flying made it a decent rental but not a keeper.
Because he's Ice Cube's son.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.