Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-18, 09:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

The Bourne Identity: 4K
Old 01-15-18, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Transformers the cartoon and toys were way after my time. I saw this in 07 and thought it was fun. Right amount of action, humor and a tolerable story. The sequels not so much.

4K presentation is head and shoulders above the HD DVD. Especially the sound. Oh My God that was cool.
Old 01-15-18, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

I liked the Transformers cartoons better when I was a kid in the 80's.

Did this movie get a ad campaign or a trailer or any promotion?

Unless you keep up with movies nobody probably knows this exists.
Old 01-15-18, 08:53 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Watched Valerian this evening. Not bad.

Last edited by kd5; 01-16-18 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-16-18, 08:50 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Watched The Island this evening...

Old 01-20-18, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 01-20-18, 07:46 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 918 Likes on 775 Posts

The Boat That Rocked (Pirate Radio)...this was the longer UK version and what a fucking gem! this movie rocked on so many levels. loved every minute of it and i wish i discovered it sooner. thanks to Why So Blu? for finally, , a good recommendation, nay great recommendation.

Old 01-21-18, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 01-21-18, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
That quote is also used for John Wick 1 isn't it?

This was a B just because Michael Keaton was awesome in it. We saw it in the theater. My son didn't care for it. I thought it was pretty good. Based on a book series but the story seemed like a rehash of popular stories. Guy's girl gets killed in a terror attack. Guy goes on rampage trying to get even. Gets attention of CIA who recruits this raw talent with no respect for authority. Michael Keaton makes this by the numbers story a total blast to watch.

I remember this like it was yesterday. I remember my father watching Bobby Riggs beat Margaret Court on Mother's Day at my grandmother's house. I remember the prime time spectacle of the match. I remember when Billie Jean King was outed for having an affair with a woman. I was young and it was the early 70's, but the interesting part to me now is that she apologized for the affair because she was married. She never apologized for it being a woman. Very groundbreaking in many ways that woman.

I thought Steve Carrell captured a lot of Bobbie Riggs but Bobbie had a certain way of bragging that Carrell just didn't duplicate. Stone was fantastic as BJK. Good extras around the history of it.
Old 01-22-18, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That quote is also used for John Wick 1 isn't it?
It could be lol

This was not as bad as I thought it would be though it was 200th in my netflix que and all the new movies at the top are never available.
Old 01-27-18, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This was not as bad as I thought it would be though it was 200th in my netflix que and all the new movies at the top are never available.
I would switch to netflix for the convenience but I guess they never felt the need to correct the huge delay in getting current movies out faster. Back in the early days of Blockbuster online it was fantastic. Now I swing by my local Family Video and for $3.99 can get the most recent releases. Not a great deal but I get the movies I want and can get them in 4K

Did this movie get a ad campaign or a trailer or any promotion?

Unless you keep up with movies nobody probably knows this exists.
Never heard of it, nor has many people. Inri222 probably has, he's heard of everything. But with
Old 01-27-18, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would switch to netflix for the convenience but I guess they never felt the need to correct the huge delay in getting current movies out faster. Back in the early days of Blockbuster online it was fantastic. Now I swing by my local Family Video and for $3.99 can get the most recent releases. Not a great deal but I get the movies I want and can get them in 4K
There are no family video stores here in the Bay Area. I wish they had a online service where you can rent new movies.

Probably redbox is the only place for new blu-ray releases outside of netflix but I don't want to pay late fees and return a movie before a deadline.

American Assassin came out months ago and I still can't get that or Dunkirk, Kingsman: The Golden Circle, Battle of Sexes, Logan Lucky, The Snowman, Goon Last of Enforcers, and Killing Gunther.

Last edited by JeffTheAlpaca; 01-27-18 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-27-18, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Home Again artwork was better than the movie lol. It was ok but I would not buy it.

Unless if you are really a diehard Watergate afficionadeo the Mark Felt is a movie you won't feel bad if you ignore.

Amazing this was available to rent from netflix since it came out this month on Blu-ray.

It was really long at 2 hrs and 15 minutes.
Old 01-28-18, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Zero Dark Thirty I know a lot of people on this board are not fond of the military or war films. I like this one even though it is not a traditional war movie. A drama based on the CIA analyst who was instrumental in taking down Bin Laden. Jessica Chastain owned that part. After seeing 12 Strong on Friday, I needed a little more 'Merica - HOORAH in my weekend.

On a personal note, very proud of my son for being promoted to Captain in the US Army. On a not so good note, when he is done with the Ukraine he is going to Afghanistan.
Old 01-28-18, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It sucked
Old 01-28-18, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Working my way through this baby. Watched episodes IV, V and VI first this week followed by I and II. I'll probably watch episode III tonight if I have time. These films look incredible. It's a shame they didn't include the theatrical versions of the films in this set, and I don't suspect they will if Disney ever re-releases them.
Old 01-28-18, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rjh_54

Working my way through this baby. Watched episodes IV, V and VI first this week followed by I and II. I'll probably watch episode III tonight if I have time. These films look incredible. It's a shame they didn't include the theatrical versions of the films in this set, and I don't suspect they will if Disney ever re-releases them.
I like that artwork more than the set I got

Old 01-28-18, 09:47 PM

I like that artwork more than the set I got

I'm torn. I can't find that packaging anywhere for as cheap as I found the set in the newer packaging, even eBay prices seem high. I do prefer the older artwork and the box design, but I don't like how the discs are held.
Old 01-28-18, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Insidious: Chapter 3 (2015)
Old 01-29-18, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm torn. I can't find that packaging anywhere for as cheap as I found the set in the newer packaging, even eBay prices seem high. I do prefer the older artwork and the box design, but I don't like how the discs are held.
You have to take the discs out of the paper or cardboard slots which kind of sucks.

Old 01-30-18, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Zero Dark Thirty I know a lot of people on this board are not fond of the military or war films. I like this one even though it is not a traditional war movie. A drama based on the CIA analyst who was instrumental in taking down Bin Laden. Jessica Chastain owned that part. After seeing 12 Strong on Friday, I needed a little more 'Merica - HOORAH in my weekend.

On a personal note, very proud of my son for being promoted to Captain in the US Army. On a not so good note, when he is done with the Ukraine he is going to Afghanistan.
Trying not to peddle this outside of the proper forum.
All I want to say is that I feel like pretty soon HOORAH Americanism is going to be back in a BIG way.

There is an epic struggle right now between true patriots and unbelievably vile villains. The movies and books that will come out of this are going to be more incredible than any action movie or thriller ever made. And we are all witnessing it in real time.

Congrats and good luck to your son!

As much as I love the 70's and exploitation movies, I have never once had any interest in ever checking this out. Finally bought it last summer when Amazon had it super cheap, and figured if Arrow was putting it out, at least it should be a worthwhile package.
Turns out my intuition was right. Didn't enjoy it and don't feel like I'll ever need to see it again.

second ep from

as much as the first ep depressed the hell out of me, this one's whimsical nature rekindled my affection for the material. And it accomplished it without betraying the general conceit of the premise. It was refreshing pick me up after the mean spirited brutality of the first ep.

first ep from

Being a silver/early Bronze Age fan, this is not the Barry Allen (or Iris, or Wally) I know.
But still enjoying the ride. And if it takes altering the characters to elicit more affecting storylines, I'm OK with that too. Looking forward to thew rest of the season, though I'm going to try not to binge this time.
Old 01-30-18, 11:53 AM

You have to take the discs out of the paper or cardboard slots which kind of sucks.
Just like the Alien Anthology set. It's nice that you get more artwork and nicer packaging, but the way those discs are held are awful. At least the new set is packaged in a standard thick case and each disc gets its own tray.
Old 01-30-18, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just like the Alien Anthology set. It's nice that you get more artwork and nicer packaging, but the way those discs are held are awful. At least the new set is packaged in a standard thick case and each disc gets its own tray.
I may need to do a double dip on the star wars set if the price drops
Old 02-01-18, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spider-Man 2

This is another one with no trays for the discs.

Elizabeth Banks and Joel McHale are uncredited which could only happen in 2004.
Old 02-01-18, 08:48 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

^ Strangely enough, we watched The Amazing Spider-Man this evening. Different from Sam Raimi's but not bad at all.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.