Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-14, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts
re: Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Jason Goes To Hell/Jason X: Both good fun and I don't get the hate they receive.

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace (Still my favorite of the prequels) Attack Of The Clones (shit, shit and more shit) Revenge Of The Sith ( Not as bad as I remember but still could have been a lot better with a competent writer/director/editor)

Brazil (Gilliams Cut): Still my second favorite movie of all time behind Blade Runner.

Blade Runner The Final Cut: Still my favorite film of all Time.
Old 07-09-14, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Old 07-09-14, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Operation Petticoat, a dated but fun comedy starring Cary Grant and Tony Curtis. Olive Films is very brave with their choices for release, they don't seem to care too much about the potential sales of a movie for consideration.

http://www.doblu.com/2014/07/09/oper...lu-ray-review/

Old 07-09-14, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not quite as good a movie as Big Red 1 but the BR presentation is very good considering the age of the movie.
Old 07-09-14, 09:46 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Rise of the Planet of the Apes...still rousing and enthralling entertainment.
Old 07-10-14, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Return To Nuke 'Em High Vol. 1 (2013)
Old 07-10-14, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

300 Rise of an Empire. Very nice visuals (Ms. Green included) and sound.
Old 07-11-14, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Not quite as amazing as I've been hearing all these years, but enjoyable. And of course the music was great. A little too much of Paul's grandfather for my taste- but I had no idea Patti Boyd was in it. That was a definitely a perk.

I already owned the French release which looked fine to me. I saw the caps for the Arrow and like most people thought they looked off- too dark, colors too shifted etc. Picked up the Steelbook because I love the Alvin image (which won't be used on the Shout jacket ironically enough, despite the disc having a short feature on him)- and because it was on sale recently at a decent price.
Anyways, decided to check out the transfer last night and ended up watching the whole movie. Outstanding presentation of the film! The colors are clearly manipulated (mostly just overly saturated), but it works in channeling the comic strip/pop art vibe. Compared to the alternate footage, the black levels do look a little crushed at points, but not nearly to the degree they seem in the caps. Overall I greatly enjoyed this viewing of the film. It did look better than the French disc, and it was probably the most fun I've had with it on any home video format...at least since I was 8 watching it on HBO in the mid 70's. It will be interesting to see what Shout does with their version as they've said they'll be tweaking the video a bit.
A couple things I noticed for the first time last night- Cheryl "Rainbeaux" Smith is one of the girls at Swan's orgy, and despite everyone commenting on DePalma's Hitchcock influences, no one seems to mention Frank Tashlin. Having just watched a couple of his movies recently I was struck by the similar sense of "cartoon" energy, timing, and general sense of playfulness along with a discreet breaking of the fourth wall at points.
I've been a huge fan of this film for the last 39 years, and it's gratifying to see so much love finally being thrown it's way now.
Old 07-11-14, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Princess Bride. I still enjoy this one after multiple viewings.
Old 07-11-14, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rexinnih
The Princess Bride. I still enjoy this one after multiple viewings.
Saw this one in the theater and love it to this day.
Old 07-12-14, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wasn't aware until after I'd ordered it that the film has had "revisionist" tweaking done in the form of CGI enhancements to some of the effects. A big brouhaha amongst the films older fans most of whom have ended up boycotting the release. Not having seen the film before, I was still excited to see it and was prepared to judge the "advisability" of the new effects on their own merits.
Short version- I loved the film. It may be my new favorite Hammer that doesn't have a series monster in it. Chris Lee was a sensational lead and it's a shame he didn't get to play the hero more often. The Bd presentation was exceptional.
Superlative image.
As far as the new CG work...I was on edge the whole time waiting for something blatant and obviously incongruous to rear up. And nothing ever did until the very end when a brief flash of lightning looked, as an effect, just a wee bit too polished for the quality of the rest of the films effects so it registered "AH HA! that must be it." Turns out, the film was fully of tiny little tweaks that were so subtle, discreet, and old school optical looking that I never noticed any of them. If you thought the CG tweaks to the original Star Trek series were restrained...this is ten times more subtle.
While they should have gone the extra mile to seamlessly branch the original sequences for posterity/purists sake...having seen how ropey they look in one of the special features, I can't imagine anyone wanting to actually continue to watch the film like that.
A ripping horror yarn and a spectacular translation to Bd...with the mildest of caveats.

My favorite Joe Dante film after The Howling and a spectacular loaded SE from France. The Image was fantastic, the subtitles removable, and the special features (including MANT as a condensed feature) fun and informative. Listening to how the film came about, it's understandable why Universal has never really given it much love on home video (though the LD also had the Mant feature). Thank God for other regions.

also went back to replay scenes from the Arrow Phantom OF The Paradise, as well as watch some of the (well produced) documentary. Still marveling at the quality of that disc.
Old 07-12-14, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw this in the theater, then as a rental. Ended up picking this up with some RZ dollars and was determined to see it before the price dropped
Old 07-12-14, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Paul_SD

Wasn't aware until after I'd ordered it that the film has had "revisionist" tweaking done in the form of CGI enhancements to some of the effects. A big brouhaha amongst the films older fans most of whom have ended up boycotting the release. Not having seen the film before, I was still excited to see it and was prepared to judge the "advisability" of the new effects on their own merits.
Short version- I loved the film. It may be my new favorite Hammer that doesn't have a series monster in it. Chris Lee was a sensational lead and it's a shame he didn't get to play the hero more often. The Bd presentation was exceptional.
Superlative image.
As far as the new CG work...I was on edge the whole time waiting for something blatant and obviously incongruous to rear up. And nothing ever did until the very end when a brief flash of lightning looked, as an effect, just a wee bit too polished for the quality of the rest of the films effects so it registered "AH HA! that must be it." Turns out, the film was fully of tiny little tweaks that were so subtle, discreet, and old school optical looking that I never noticed any of them. If you thought the CG tweaks to the original Star Trek series were restrained...this is ten times more subtle.
While they should have gone the extra mile to seamlessly branch the original sequences for posterity/purists sake...having seen how ropey they look in one of the special features, I can't imagine anyone wanting to actually continue to watch the film like that.
A ripping horror yarn and a spectacular translation to Bd...with the mildest of caveats.
It's always been one of my favorite Hammer films. I am not going to hate it because of a few changes but they should have included the untweaked original film on that BD.
Old 07-12-14, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

Nymphomaniac Volume 1

Stacy Martin thank you for showing your nude body in almost every scene

Back to the Future III

This should have never been made since the first 2 movies were classics and this one was mediocre and did not like the Old West setting.

Old 07-12-14, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I like Back to the Future: Part III.
Old 07-12-14, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I quite like BTTF III. I haven't many anyone who doesn't like the first, in my experience, people seem to prefer either II or III, I think II tried way to hard and III was a lot more fun, but some people like the complicated, twist narrative and darker tone of II.
Old 07-12-14, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 07-12-14, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I like Back to the Future: Part III.
I like it much better as a movie than Part II. Neither are close to the classic first BTTF.
Old 07-12-14, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I like it much better as a movie than Part II. Neither are close to the classic first BTTF.
That's pretty much how I see them as well.
Old 07-12-14, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pirates of the Caribbean 1 & 2
Old 07-12-14, 10:50 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Back to the Future II and III felt like one big movie. Both a good, but not great like the original.
Old 07-13-14, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Watched The Way, Way Back tonight and really liked it. I always like that as goofy as Carell can be that he has a lot of range. He was a total douche in the film but played it well. Sam Rockwell was good too as was Liam James as the lead. It almost always seems like the output from Fox Searchlght is good stuff.
Old 07-13-14, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

I think II tried way to hard and III was a lot more fun, but some people like the complicated, twist narrative and darker tone of II.
The jokes feel stale in part III and Michael J Fox playing multiple roles got old.

Not a fan of Doc getting a love interest (Mary Steenburgen) either.

I like II better of the darker tone plus it was set in the future which was more exciting than the Old West.

Joe

Just wished Nic Cage would do more movies like this instead of the easy cash grab.

Old 07-13-14, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Jodorowsky's Dune (2013)
Old 07-13-14, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Weak, stock troupe of bad guys (with the head villainess particularly poorly cast). Grier's acting here is pretty lousy, but her willing, do-anything enthusiasm helps you ignore her technical deficiencies. Takes a while to distinguish itself, but by the third act the exploitation and grindhouse elements have been ratcheted up to 11 and we get an energetic finish. Hill habitue Sid Haig has an entertaining cameo late in the film that further helps perk it up. Along with Antonio Fargas, he's easily the most accomplished performer on view.
The Arrow disc uses an MGM master of the sort that we are likely to see quite often now from the Kino releases. Competent but nothing spectacular looking. On a large screen though, I'll happily take it.

Blood Splattered Bride from

Enjoyed it more than the main feature, but felt taxed by the end. Another great candidate for a truly interesting, lower budget, psychological horror re-make.
Weak color, but a watchable, anamorphic standard definition extra on the same Bd as the main feature.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.