Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

3D Blu-Rays

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

3D Blu-Rays

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-08, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3D Blu-Rays

So I'm thinking about ordering Journey to the Center of the Earth and also The Polar Express. Both movies come in 2D and 3D versions. Does anyone know of there is an option to still watch the 2D version if you buy the 3D version? Are both versions on the disc or are you stuck having to watch it with the Red/Blue 3D glassed everytime?
Old 10-23-08, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Options are there.
Old 10-23-08, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Jamers
So I'm thinking about ordering Journey to the Center of the Earth and also The Polar Express. Both movies come in 2D and 3D versions. Does anyone know of there is an option to still watch the 2D version if you buy the 3D version? Are both versions on the disc or are you stuck having to watch it with the Red/Blue 3D glassed everytime?

Aww from what you have stated the options were already there...
Old 10-23-08, 08:59 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Is the rumour true that the new Polar Express 3D has lossless audio?
Old 10-24-08, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HD Digest's review is up for Journey to the Center of the Earth, and it says the audio is Dolby TrueHD. The back cover photos showed only DD 5.1 sound.

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 10-24-08 at 05:49 AM.
Old 10-24-08, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
HD Digest's review is up for Journey to the Center of the Earth, and it says the audio is Dolby TrueHD. The back cover photos showed only DD 5.1 sound.
Ralph Potts review on AVS Forum stated DD only, no Dolby TrueHD. My guess is that Peter is wrong at HDD.
Old 10-24-08, 08:11 PM

How good are the Blu 3Ds? Is it worth it to buy these? Don't think the titles available are really good, but sure am interested in at least watching these once. Too bad rentals cannot provide you the glasses as well...
Old 10-25-08, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by DVDGamer
How good are the Blu 3Ds? Is it worth it to buy these? Don't think the titles available are really good, but sure am interested in at least watching these once. Too bad rentals cannot provide you the glasses as well...
The 3D Blu-rays use the old-fashioned anaglyph process with the red/blue glasses. The 3D effect works reasonably well, but it makes the picture dim and ruins the colors.
Old 10-27-08, 10:00 AM

Does anyone know if Journey or Polar come with 3D glasses?
Old 10-27-08, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
Is the rumour true that the new Polar Express 3D has lossless audio?
The back cover shows TrueHD audio. The question is if that's only for the 3D version.
Old 10-27-08, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by xradman
Ralph Potts review on AVS Forum stated DD only, no Dolby TrueHD. My guess is that Peter is wrong at HDD.
yes, others have said it's DD 5.1 only. How can a reviewer get something like that wrong?
Old 10-27-08, 10:27 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Grain
Does anyone know if Journey or Polar come with 3D glasses?
the best buy weekly ad states each come with 4 sets of glasses.
Old 10-29-08, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Red/Green 3D effects are useless. The colors are all messed up and it's so headache inducing. My family couldn't make it half way through the Hannah Montana 3d BR. Why can't someone get the polarizing 3D effect to work in home cinema?
Old 10-30-08, 12:27 PM

Both JttCotE and TPE come with 4 sets of 3D glasses each. Also, The Polar Express does comes with a True HD track. Not only does it say so on the back but I played it in my PS3 to confirm Track 2 is True HD. JttCotE says it has DD5.1 audio but I haven't tested it yet.

By the way, I watched about 5 mins of TPE with the red/blue glasses and wasn't impressed. Perhaps the room wasn't dark enough or I wasn't far enough away from the screen but it seemed rather annoying. Maybe the kids will feel different?
Old 10-30-08, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
For what it's worth, the glasses with Polar Express are red/blue, but the glasses with Journey to the Center of the Earth are magenta/green.
Old 10-30-08, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
For what it's worth, the glasses with Polar Express are red/blue, but the glasses with Journey to the Center of the Earth are magenta/green.
Is there a reason studios won't try polarized video/glasses for these releases? Seems to me the 3-D would be much better looking and provide much more color (as opposed to the headaches and washed-out effect of anaglyphic lenses).

Weren't most/all of these movies projected in theaters with the polarized 3-D method, and not anaglyphic? Are Blu-rays not capable of showing a polarized image?

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 10-30-08 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-30-08, 04:19 PM

I know I saw Beowulf in the theater and the glasses were just grey tint. I'm guessing those were polarized 3D glasses.
Old 10-30-08, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
Polarized 3-D only works projected onto a screen, so that leaves out most TVs. You also need a special screen when doing projection; the 35mm releases of Freddy's Dead and Spy Kids 3-D used the crappy red/blue format because a lot of theaters didn't have the proper screens to show polarized.
Old 10-30-08, 10:25 PM

Didn't the TV show "3rd Rock from the Sun" broadcast a couple of 3D episodes? They weren't anaglyph. Were they a third type of 3D?
Old 10-31-08, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
That was fake 3-D- I've seen it used on a few things on TV like the half-time show at the 1989 Superbowl, also a Rolling Stones concert and the new years' day parade also in 1989. The way it works is one side of the glasses is darker, so when things move left to right (or maybe right to left, not sure which) the eye looking through the darker side thinks it's seeing the image later than the other eye, producing a fake 3-D effect. Naturally it only works when things are moving in the right direction, if anything's standing still it does nothing.

A few VHS tapes like Roller Coaster Thrills used this too. REAL 3-D has TWO separate pictures, one for each eye. Accept nothing less!
Old 11-01-08, 11:56 PM

I watched Journey to the Center of the Earth last night in 3D. Although I was impressed by the cool 3D effect, the color is thrown right out the door.
I have a 50" 1080P Panasonic plasma that has been ISF calibrated. Just wondering what other types of TVs people have watched this movie on and what was their experience?
Old 11-02-08, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Earlier this year, I saw a demo of Mitsubishi's 3D TV's that work with special BD's, players, and goggles. There was a trailer parked outside RC Willey, and it had several of these TVs on display. The salesman said the equipment was all cost prohibitive at the time, but in time the cost would come down. The 3D effect was much better than what I've seen using the old-fashioned paper glasses. I ended up buying one of those TV's (for the screen size and response time), but I was wondering how close we are to seeing some of this 3D equipment hitting the market. Has anyone heard about this?
Old 11-04-08, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jones
I watched Journey to the Center of the Earth last night in 3D. Although I was impressed by the cool 3D effect, the color is thrown right out the door.
I have a 50" 1080P Panasonic plasma that has been ISF calibrated. Just wondering what other types of TVs people have watched this movie on and what was their experience?
I watched on a projecter/screen and was impressed. I had to turn up the brightness and the colors were muted, but still enjoyed it very much.
Old 11-04-08, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cpgator
I watched on a projecter/screen and was impressed. I had to turn up the brightness and the colors were muted, but still enjoyed it very much.
I'm not sure about that movie but Polar Express says to do this when you watch. I'd imagine it would look better on a plasma than LCD, in general.
Old 11-04-08, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
A few within the industry have mentioned that they are working on deciding the best way to bring "Real 3D" to Blu-Ray via the players/discs. I'd bet that in a few years the current titles will be released over in whatever standard gets accepted.