Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Can someone explain the point of the paper slipcases?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-08, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I could understand if they included unique artwork or something, but most of the time they just copy the cover of the actual case.

I was really hoping this annoyance would be abandoned for Blu-Rays, but it now seems more popular than ever. Do those things serve any purpose whatsoever?

Apart from things like the 'Forgetting Sarah Marshall' one being slightly more metallic-looking (why?) or the recent HBO box sets only having the spine on the outside slipcase, mostly they seem like a pointless expense. But the new 'Godfather' set is easily the worst of both worlds. Even the older DVD set was better packaged than this. Apart from an embossed title, what's the reason not to just toss the paper cover in the trash and file the plastic case exposed along with all my other discs? Even the booklet makes no sense, as it only contains promotional advertisements for the discs, but it's retailed under the shrink-wrapped, making it impossible to read until AFTER you've bought the set, at which point it's unnecessary. Plus, it's just slightly too large to fit inside the case. (Yeah, I can squeeze it in, but I can't imagine it's not gonna look crumpled and scuffed after a few decades of sliding the plastic case in and out)

Who thought up these things and WHY? Is there some evidence that they result in larger sales? Do some people LIKE having to slide the sleeves off before they can take the discs out?
Old 10-23-08, 06:52 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Many, many reasons. I'll list the 3 major.

1. Prevents theft.
2. Makes the title stand out more on the shelf.
3. "Collectible" Limited Time Only
Old 10-23-08, 07:19 PM

I only have to slip off the case once, but the case stays on my display forever. The artwork quality is typically superior (metallic or higher glossy print). So I like having the slipcase for my Blu-ray. If you don't like it, you can always throw it away. I don't think the studios ever charge more for releases with slipcase as opposed to those without.
Old 10-23-08, 07:23 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Many, many reasons. I'll list the 3 major.

1. Prevents theft.
How does it prevent theft?
Old 10-23-08, 07:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
They are to make it appear to upper management that marketing are actually doing something. The net effect of course is that they are merely creating more landfill.
Old 10-23-08, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1. Prevents theft.

the security device is inside the case. how would a paper sleeve deter shoplifters?

stand out enough to result in bigger sales figures? and new releases are gonna be on display anyway.

all the more reason to put some different artwork on 'em and not just duplicate the photo on the case. a 'Big Lebowski' bowling ball or a 'Blade Runner' briefcase I can understand, but these just look cheap. besides, they always put 'em over the shrinkwrap, which means that sometimes the price tags don't come off without tearing the paper and, if you mail-order, you can't be sure they're not gouged or damaged, which is not gonna appeal to collectors.
Old 10-23-08, 07:36 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by The Cow
How does it prevent theft?
Because its very easy to slit the plastic on the spine of a DVD/BD case and slide the disc out. With a slip cover they would have to remove the cover first. While it may seem like something small to do, to thieves, it adds to the possability of being caught. IIRC, thats the reason these were introduced in the first place. They were later revised to remove the barcode on them since people were slipping more expensive DVDs in them.
Old 10-23-08, 07:41 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by wergo
1. Prevents theft.

the security device is inside the case. how would a paper sleeve deter shoplifters?

stand out enough to result in bigger sales figures? and new releases are gonna be on display anyway.

all the more reason to put some different artwork on 'em and not just duplicate the photo on the case. a 'Big Lebowski' bowling ball or a 'Blade Runner' briefcase I can understand, but these just look cheap. besides, they always put 'em over the shrinkwrap, which means that sometimes the price tags don't come off without tearing the paper and, if you mail-order, you can't be sure they're not gouged or damaged, which is not gonna appeal to collectors.
1. I explained in the post above.

2. Yes, the title literally stands out more visually. That includes embossed artwork, shiness, 3D, lithograph etc. Compare that to a dull looking DVD coverart that is already wrapped in plastic dulling the artwork out even more.

3. Well, I'm not a studio so I can't give you those answers. But like I said, they are typically only for the First Pressing of the discs and becomes a reason why some rush out and buy it on release day for big bucks instead of waiting for it to get discounted (when the slip is usually not available).

If including a $1 slip helps the studio sell an extra couple thousand discs that week at $18 a pop instead of $6 some months later its well worth it.

I, personally, have went out of my way to purchase titles with slip cases because I like them. They add an extra depth to my collection and look good next to each other (like the recent Bonds on Blu-ray for example, or POTC Trilogy).
Old 10-23-08, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The theft thing is a big one - I used to work dvd retail and people would slit the side of the case and steal just the disc... slipcases make this WAY LESS LIKELY and the 'locks' they added to the cases helped too.
Old 10-23-08, 07:51 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Because its very easy to slit the plastic on the spine of a DVD/BD case and slide the disc out. With a slip cover they would have to remove the cover first. While it may seem like something small to do, to thieves, it adds to the possability of being caught. IIRC, thats the reason these were introduced in the first place. They were later revised to remove the barcode on them since people were slipping more expensive DVDs in them.

Exactly right. I was pretty pissed when Fox started doing the barcode-less versions because most of them got torn pretty easily (I worked as a shipper/receiver in retail, so I saw a LOT of these). Now, I think all the studios do it.

I, personally, have went out of my way to purchase titles with slip cases because I like them. They add an extra depth to my collection and look good next to each other
Agreed. With all my DVDs (and HD DVDs & BDs) spined, the slip-cased ones (and most other non-standard cases) look better and are easier to read.

Originally Posted by mdc3000
people would slit the side of the case and steal just the disc... slipcases make this WAY LESS LIKELY and the 'locks' they added to the cases helped too
VERY much so! Like mentioned above, you wouldn't THINK these things deter thieves, but they really do.

Last edited by Dan; 10-23-08 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-23-08, 07:51 PM

I actually like cardboard slipcases. But they're nothing special any more, as every other release seems to have one. It's not even like they're even the better quality horizontal style either (Eg, many older Fox Dvd's came with horizontal slipcases, such as Xmen and Daredevil etc) - The vertical slipcases just seem like a cheap gimmick these days, and more often than not I will try and find myself a better version than either a standard version or standard version with slipcase

Also, I have found that a lot of newer releases have the slipcase on the outside of the plastic cellophane, meaning they get damaged and shop soiled on the shelf, which I don't agree with. I used to enjoy collecting various Disney releases with slipcases until they chose to put them on the outside. Same goes for various Blu-Ray's - Some do, some don't, which makes it even more frustrating! Eg, Pirate's Of The Carribean: Dead Man's Chest has it on the inside, yet At World's End has it on the outside

I'll just stick with DigiPak's and Steelbook's from now on I think, as slipcases have really lost their appeal. Even some cheap old releases have since been rereleased with slipcases just to stand out more and try and appeal to those who are liable to rebuy something they already own (Ie, collector's)
Old 10-23-08, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by HumanMedia
The net effect of course is that they are merely creating more landfill.
Exactly. 99% of the time the artwork is reduntant, so it's just so wasteful in an increasingly "green" world.

Reminds of when CDs first came out and record companies packaged them in those long cardboard boxes. People griped about the unnecessary trash- where's the outrage over slipcases??
Old 10-23-08, 07:52 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by mdc3000
The theft thing is a big one - I used to work dvd retail and people would slit the side of the case and steal just the disc... slipcases make this WAY LESS LIKELY and the 'locks' they added to the cases helped too.
Exaclty. For some reason people think they steal the entire DVD/BD case when in fact many will steal just the disc itself. This happened almost daily when I worked at Blockbuster and I see it way to often at Best Buy (random cases lying around empty).
Old 10-23-08, 07:55 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Exactly. 99% of the time the artwork is reduntant, so it's just so wasteful in an increasingly "green" world.

Reminds of when CDs first came out and record companies packaged them in those long cardboard boxes. People griped about the unnecessary trash- where's the outrage over slipcases??
Cardboard, really? It seems some studios are giddy right now to drop plastic cases (Fox with The Omen Collection, Simpsons Season 11, Futurama Movie releases and, of course, the recent James Bond Volumes).

I'm still trying to track down a Grandma's Boy slip case
Old 10-23-08, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the minority is still with the digi-pakaging -- most are still using the standard way of packaging.

As for why... for the past 20 years we've (americans) have spoiled ourselves in decadance and over consumerism, this is just adding to that.

Shoplifters are very resourceful -- I'm sure alot of your remember the tabs ( I'm sure they're still in circulation) that were like locks every third section of opening of the disc. And lets not forget the same reason they have the 'tabs' on HD's and BD's.
Old 10-23-08, 10:21 PM

I like slipcovers but I don't go out of my way to collect them. I do wonder how studios decide what releases get slipcovers. I have noticed recently that Wal-Mart and Best Buy in my town have been putting blu-rays in those plastic cases that lock like what are used for games.