Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Image IMAX blurays- lossless??

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-08, 10:59 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

what's the story here, I can't seem to find consistent or verifiable info on these upcoming releases.

The Living Sea
Dolphins
Coral Reef Adventure
Fighter Pilot

I know that all the IMAX discs are not in the original aspect ratio but reformatted to 1.78 - oh well, what can you do? (not buy them? ), but seriousily... it appears that 'Fighter Pilot' has Dolby TrueHD... but what happened to DTS-MA? Image Entertainment has always been supportive of it's IMAX standard DVD discs to feature DTS. I know that Warner's has pretty much resigned their IMAX discs to not include lossless (earlier releases did, more recent titles: Cosmic Voyage/Destiny In Space and Space Station/Mission to Mir, no), but Image, they'd seem to be less asinine and have common sense to include lossless then the boneheads over at Warners.
IMAX's 70mm/hoizontal imagery and aggressive soundmixes seem ideal for bluray - so far though it's been a mixed bag.

side comment: the upcoming 'Baraka' bluray has been confirmed by DVD Aficinado to feature DTS-MA sound - hooray!

and still no word on Everest from Disney
Old 10-07-08, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
According to the Image Entertainment website for The Living Sea (this is the one I'm interested in, so I didn't check the others), the audio will be DTS HD Master Audio 5.1.

http://www.image-entertainment.com/d...roductID=70264
Old 10-07-08, 12:21 PM

actually thanks for the link, all the blurays are denoted as having DTS-HD MA 5.1 sound
Old 10-07-08, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
DVD Empire has a back scan of Mystery of the Nile that denotes DTS-MA...

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...or=1#topoftabs
Old 10-07-08, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
They're both lossless, who cares? If we're talking lossy formats, I think the general consensus has been DTS has a better compression scheme and is usually a higher bitrate. But lossless? It's like comparing ZIP to RAR, the end result is always the same.
Old 10-08-08, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by shaun3000
They're both lossless, who cares? If we're talking lossy formats, I think the general consensus has been DTS has a better compression scheme and is usually a higher bitrate. But lossless? It's like comparing ZIP to RAR, the end result is always the same.

honestly if the IMAX discs were Dolby Digital TrueHD I wouldn't have a problem with that either, but for Warner's to give such shoddy attention to it's IMAX discs is just insulting IMO.