Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

baby mama blu-ray wont play movie

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-08, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having problems trying to play baby mama on my blu-ray player. its a first generation philips 1.0 and the film wont play. it will load the disc and the screen will turn black. I have come to the realization, that the advanced features of the u control, is just to much for this early bdp 9000 player. i have upgraded to the recent firmware and still wont play the film. I have also emailed philips and waiting to hear from them.

I am also planning to buy a profile 1.1 player next month, to make use of the special technolgy features and then I can play the film.

as it is I cant watch it, because I only have one blu-ray player. I dont know if philips can do updates with firmware on this profile 1.0 player, since its not sold anymore. basically, I may be stuck just having to buy a more advanced blu-ray player. any suggestions, I really appreciate it.

edit: a few days ago, I was able to dl firmware from samsung,install it, and held down the ff button on the unit . re inserted ithe blu-ray disc , and was able to watch the movie on my profile 1.0 player, I also was able to watch the godfather triolgy as well. I got this tip from reading another electronics board.

Last edited by avrilfan; 10-02-08 at 05:13 PM. Reason: update
Old 09-26-08, 06:31 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
If no update has come out (I don't know if Phillips still supports that player) you will have to go purchase a brand new one. Try selling it on Craigslist...probably get at least $150 for it.

I'll be first to reccomend to awesome Sony S350. $299 (or $279 at Costco with free HDMI cable and backlit remote control).
Old 09-28-08, 04:26 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Any word on this being a widespread problem? If it is, I'll update the review.
Old 09-28-08, 05:15 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
No, its just some Uni/Paramount titles don't play well with Profile 1.0 players.
Old 10-02-08, 12:53 PM

Doesn't play on my PS3 either. I downladed the latest PS3 firmware and still does not play.

Anyone else have problems with PS3?
Old 10-02-08, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Houstondon
Any word on this being a widespread problem? If it is, I'll update the review.
I had the same problem with Baby Mama and then again with Forgetting Sarah Marshall (both Universal titles). It will load, go to the menu and then start, but just as the Universal logo comes on, the machine kicks off and reboots. I have a SONY BD300 1.0 profile player.

I wasn't able to download the firmware upgrade so SONY is sending me the disc. I'll update my post in 7 - 10 business days.
Old 12-23-08, 06:52 PM

have had the same problem with my fully updated ps3 with 2 straight disks from Netflix. Neither disc looked damaged to my eye.
Old 12-23-08, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've updated the firmware twice now. It's version 4.40. I still couldn't load Step Brothers last week but that has been the only one recently.
Old 12-23-08, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This sucks. Makes me want to ditch my 1.0 Panasonic 10AK sooner rather than later. But, other than Bond films (all I had to do was load the latest fw), I've not had a problem with this player. Just a matter of time, I guess.

-beebs