Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

HD DVD owner survey

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

HD DVD owner survey

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-08, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HD DVD owner survey

There is an interesting survey being done that has been extensively mentioned on several HD message boards already. Here is what has been publicly disclosed about it so far: The survey gauges the opinions and spending habits of HD DVD owners. The data will be used to measure the possibility of releasing future HD DVDs in a limited way. It is part one of a larger follow-up survey to occur that will be much more in depth. Preliminary discussions are taking place with several Hollywood industry leaders and the data from this and the follow-up survey will play an important part in deciding if a market still exists for some type of limited non-blockbuster HD DVD releases.

So, if you own an HD DVD player, go fill this out:
http://www.esurveyspro.com/Survey.as...f-2f01e04e1c8c
Old 08-18-08, 02:09 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Spamming every website I see.
Old 08-18-08, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Spamming every website I see.
I'm sorry, in what way am I spamming? When many people were posting all over about the online petition to save HD DVD, no one accused them of spamming. Is there some way this is different? The DVDTalk community is a very important part of the HD enthusiast world and their opinions should be counted in any attempt to comprehensively study HD DVD owner habits, right? If you see the posts on all the other message boards about this, you will see many different people are mentioning and commenting about this study. I actually think you are the first person out of all the message board postings I have read about this survey that accuses the poster of spamming instead of thanking them. Most of the posts have been about how glad and excited people are to see this survey happen.

Last edited by raytrade; 08-18-08 at 05:19 AM.
Old 08-18-08, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
I filled it out, but if they're hoping to put out more HD-DVDs at full price I ain't gonna bite since there aren't any new players being made to play them on. I'm getting all the cheap discs I can find right now, but am a bit worried that I may not be able to play them someday if the one player I have now quits working.
Old 08-18-08, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by raytrade
The data will be used to measure the possibility of releasing future HD DVDs in a limited way.
Sorry but really? The format is dead.
Old 08-18-08, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
Sorry but really? The format is dead.

yup. What good is this really doing?? All that's going to happen is that more people will be snarky and the bad blood will get to the surface again.

NO MORE HD-DVD players are being made. Might as well send out a survery about resurrecting movies on VHS.

What's more important now is that the movie companies all get on the same page for quality on Blu-ray releases going forward.
Old 08-18-08, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I still have two things that play HD DVD, but I don't want new releases with no new hardware coming out. Both of my HD DVD players are flaky and there are no rock solid options out there. This isn't like Laserdisc where the players were built like tanks and will probably last 50 years. HD DVD players were buggy, fragile and while I don't mind grabbing close outs and cheap stuff on the format I don't want new releases. At some point down the road when Blu-ray reaches DVD pricing I will probably end up replacing most of those HD DVDs and I think moving forward is the best policy instead of trying to resurrect a dead format.
Old 08-18-08, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^I bought two new A3's in February when HD DVD went belly up, and one already crapped out after only a couple of times using it. I'm not buying anymore discs for them, regardless of price.
Old 08-18-08, 11:34 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Still have my trust XA1 which has given me 0 problems. Hell Ive owned about a dozen of them (and still have 8!) and only had a few issues here and there with discs skipping or not loading. Pretty damn good actually.
Old 08-18-08, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Still have my trust XA1 which has given me 0 problems. Hell Ive owned about a dozen of them (and still have 8!) and only had a few issues here and there with discs skipping or not loading. Pretty damn good actually.
No issues with my A1. Built like a fucking tank.

My A35 has been a little flakey. Takes longer than the A1 to boot up. May need to update the firmware. Currently running 1.1
Old 08-18-08, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts
Originally Posted by JayDerek
yup. What good is this really doing?? All that's going to happen is that more people will be snarky and the bad blood will get to the surface again.

NO MORE HD-DVD players are being made. Might as well send out a survery about resurrecting movies on VHS.

What's more important now is that the movie companies all get on the same page for quality on Blu-ray releases going forward.
I agree. I own an HD DVD player, but I don't see the point to this at all.
Old 08-18-08, 06:20 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
Im happy to do the survey and hope it comes to fruition. Thanks OP
Old 08-18-08, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by JayDerek

We have Blu-ray owners fighting about the audio format and "digital noise" in movies. Forget the format, people just love to fight.

And if HD DVD is brought back on a limited basis? So what. If you're 100% Blu, why should you worry about it? If HD DVD movies will by chance be brought back into circulation, there will be HD DVD players hitting the market. The problem I foresee, is a good price point.

Who cares if all movie companies are Blu. Like it's done any good so far. You've noticed any amazing things? It's been 7 months. Why would it hurt putting out HD DVD releases? I could really give a shit. And you really shouldn't either. Because it has absolutely nothing to do with coordination. As we have noticed with the variety and quality of Blu releases...movie companies lack it.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 08-18-08 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-18-08, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
We have Blu-ray owners fighting about the audio format and "digital noise" in movies. Forget the format, people just love to fight.
People have been fighting about audio formats since before DVDs were introduced. What does that have to do with Blu-ray (or HD DVD, for that matter)?
Old 08-18-08, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This might have something to do with the rumors floating around about being able to burn downloaded movie, (say 8-ishGB 720p video) onto standard DL DVD-Rs for playback on DVD players with support (kinda like DIVX-playing DVD players have been around for some time...same physical format, different codecs/software/etc).

Probably just rumors, though.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 08-18-08 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-18-08, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I filled it out, but if they're hoping to put out more HD-DVDs at full price I ain't gonna bite since there aren't any new players being made to play them on. I'm getting all the cheap discs I can find right now, but am a bit worried that I may not be able to play them someday if the one player I have now quits working.
What about the LG combo drive? Is that being discontinued as well?
Old 08-19-08, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by RoboDad
People have been fighting about audio formats since before DVDs were introduced. What does that have to do with Blu-ray (or HD DVD, for that matter)?
Yeah and the Romans fought about the proper sound alignments of lions tearing apart Christians in their arena for maximum entertainment value.

But regardless of this really cool historical tidbit, maybe you should read the post of the person I was responding to.

Why even respond to my post if you don't even know who I was responding to or what I was referring to.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 08-19-08 at 02:35 AM.
Old 08-21-08, 09:56 PM

I'm too disappointed and disillusioned with the instant total abandonment of HD DVD by all stores, including pre-owned stores. Besides the ones I got for free, and two I managed to buy from Movie Stop before they sold off all their HD DVD titles, I only own the Planet Earth set. I want to be able to find titles for cheap, but they just don't exist besides possibly ebay but even that is hard to get them for that price.
So I'm kind of in limbo about whether I really want to pursue any more titles for HD DVD since Blu Ray players seem to be coming down in price and more and more deals can be found for Blu Ray.
Old 08-22-08, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I filled it out, but I won't be buying any more HD DVDs unless they are under $10.
Old 08-22-08, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by videoguy
I'm too disappointed and disillusioned with the instant total abandonment of HD DVD by all stores, including pre-owned stores. Besides the ones I got for free, and two I managed to buy from Movie Stop before they sold off all their HD DVD titles, I only own the Planet Earth set. I want to be able to find titles for cheap, but they just don't exist besides possibly ebay but even that is hard to get them for that price.
So I'm kind of in limbo about whether I really want to pursue any more titles for HD DVD since Blu Ray players seem to be coming down in price and more and more deals can be found for Blu Ray.
It's too bad you don't have Fry's in NJ. The one here has pretty much every HD DVD for 9.99 - 11.99, and the expanded the section to hold all the additional copies. Many are bilingual covers like the one Inetvideo had, so they are probably coming from the same source.

Still, even at 9.99 either nothing is moving, or some copies are but the have so much they just refill the section right away.
Old 08-22-08, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't even bother with used HD DVDs anymore. I picked up a few at the last inetvideo sale but a couple won't play on my A35 which is giving me problems. At this point it'll last until the titles are available on Blu and I can grab them used, but I'm not going to pick up anymore regardless of the price