Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Speed Racer 09/16

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Speed Racer 09/16

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-08, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Speed Racer 09/16

No talk about Bill Hunt. I still want to discuss this title somewhere.

Anyone going to buy it anyway? I understand the complaint about BD-25 and 5.1 but I guess I'm not informed on how much of a difference this will actually make. The special features could theoretically be in SD (I don't know if this was already confirmed).

I know Speed Racer is a long movie, but it clearly isn't impossible to encode a HD transfer of a film onto a BD-25. I imagine the movie will look pretty good either way, even if it isn't the best of circumstances. But if you know better than I do, I'd love to be informed.
Old 08-13-08, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clearly Warner has screwed the pooch on this one. If Fox and Universal can fit lossless onto BD 25s, there is absolutely no reason for Warner not to include them as well.
Old 08-14-08, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really wanted to see the film just for the visuals. It looked like a great popcorn flick and I'm sure it will look pretty damn good, but I hope they make a last minute change to this to include lossless because it could have incredible sound as well.

Looking at the HD trailers, made my jaw drop and that's at piss poor bitrates so I can only imagine what it'll look like once it's been cleaned up.
Old 08-14-08, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
I loved this movie so this was a must-own for me once I left the theaters. The specs are underwhelming. As others have stated, a lossless track could have been fit in there (we're not talking about space-hogging PCM here) despite the lack of a BD-50 disc.

I too hope for a last minute reversal.
Old 08-14-08, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm one of the suckers buying it anyway, but that's only because I flipped out for this one (I thought it was going to suck but was extremely surprised).
Old 08-17-08, 11:05 AM

I'll be getting this.
I didnt think the movie was as horrible as people say it was. It was comparable to the TV show.
And, I'll probably be flamed for this, but I still can't hear the difference between DD and TrueHD in my setup. TrueHD just seems louder.
Maybe someone can recommend a title where TrueHD will blow me away?
Old 08-17-08, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'll probably have to give this a rent simply for the visuals; I haven't actually watched a single effects-heavy film on Blu-ray yet (thought I've seen a fair amount on HD-DVD). The sound doesn't bother me since I just have my TV speakers.
Old 08-17-08, 12:56 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by bub2000
I'll be getting this.
I didnt think the movie was as horrible as people say it was. It was comparable to the TV show.
And, I'll probably be flamed for this, but I still can't hear the difference between DD and TrueHD in my setup. TrueHD just seems louder.
Maybe someone can recommend a title where TrueHD will blow me away?
If its Blu-ray, Transformers, U-571 (though it is DTS MA), Cloverfield.
Old 08-17-08, 03:47 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm torn about purchasing this. I loved the movie, hated that it performed poorly at the box office. Clearly it's bad showing is what prompted to WB to dump this on BD in such a sorry state. I want WB to know that people actually do like the film, but I don't want them to think we'll support practices like this. So, if I buy the disc, will it tell WB that I like Speed Racer or that I don't care about their handling of Blu-ray? And if I don't, I can almost guarantee it won't send the message that I'm unhappy with how they handled the Blu-ray, but simply that the movie isn't doing well on home video.
Old 08-17-08, 03:52 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I'm torn about purchasing this. I loved the movie, hated that it performed poorly at the box office. Clearly it's bad showing is what prompted to WB to dump this on BD in such a sorry state. I want WB to know that people actually do like the film, but I don't want them to think we'll support practices like this. So, if I buy the disc, will it tell WB that I like Speed Racer or that I don't care about their handling of Blu-ray? And if I don't, I can almost guarantee it won't send the message that I'm unhappy with how they handled the Blu-ray, but simply that the movie isn't doing well on home video.
Do what I do - buy it used on eBay or from another member here. Warner will never register your sale

I did want to see this (even after the lack-luster reviews) but without a TrueHD track I'm passing unless I get this real cheap (under $15). Its simply not worth the money for a barebones release that comes with 2 extra discs full of crap (stupid game and a digital copy that won't even work on iPods) that could have been dumped for a friggin' TrueHD track!
Old 08-17-08, 04:20 PM
Banned by request

To be fair, the True HD track wouldn't do you much good if they were on the second or third discs.
Old 08-17-08, 04:28 PM
Suspended

To be fair, the True HD track wouldn't do you much good if they were on the second or third discs.
What I meant was, drop the second and third disc altogether and use the savings to give us a 50GB disc with TrueHD track. Why Warner thinks Blu-ray owners want a stupid game and digital copy over a lossless track is beyond me.
Old 08-17-08, 04:38 PM
Banned by request

It seems obvious to me that these studios don't understand what people want from BD yet. That's why the releases seem to vary so radically.
Old 08-17-08, 04:39 PM
Suspended

It seems obvious to me that these studios don't understand what people want from BD yet. That's why the releases seem to vary so radically.
Seriously. Where is Lars and the Real Girls, The Waitress, The Darjeeling Limited?!?
Old 08-17-08, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think at the very least they could have consolidated the two extra discs into one extra disc. Could the game really take up the entire DVD space? I will always think of Live Free or Die Hard which appeared to pack on a 120m documentary plus other extras AND the digital copy.
Old 08-17-08, 07:16 PM
Suspended

What I want to know is the game a DVD game for the computer or for a Blu-ray player? I would assume computer since its on a disc all by itself.
Old 08-17-08, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Sony, Disney, and Universal do. The first 2 have been the most consistent of the longtime BD studios. Universal has done a solid job of providing lossless audio on all releases plus they continue to push the interactivity with U-Control and upcoming BD Live features. They are, by far, my favorite studio in terms of catalog titles, so I'm very pleased with their support so far.

WB is the one confused. They're the only studio not consistently giving us HD video AND audio. No excuse for that.
Old 08-17-08, 07:47 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Does anyone know anything about the international release of Speed Racer? I'm curious to get it, but after all the talk about the domestic release, I may go elsewhere to get it if it can be found for a decent price.
Old 08-17-08, 07:51 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I think Sony, Disney, and Universal do. The first 2 have been the most consistent of the longtime BD studios. Universal has done a solid job of providing lossless audio on all releases plus they continue to push the interactivity with U-Control and upcoming BD Live features. They are, by far, my favorite studio in terms of catalog titles, so I'm very pleased with their support so far.

WB is the one confused. They're the only studio not consistently giving us HD video AND audio. No excuse for that.
Most studios still continue to put most catalog special features in SD so I'm still not too happy with that. I'm sure it can be expensive thought to turn those into HD...but still.

As for U-Control, its a great feature, but you have to have a Profile 1.1 player to access it which is pretty lame. Its pretty much forcing people who own the Profile 1.0 players (which are STILL being sold today) to buy new players just to watch the special features that were present on the HD DVD in standard form. Universal is doing this with their BD25 releases (U-571 comes to mind - End of Days just dropped all the features), but I don't see why they can't do a U-Control feature and include the extras on the disc for the Profile 1.0 people (how much space do they take up, less then a gig?)
Old 08-18-08, 12:12 AM
Banned by request

I thought for any disc with profile 1.1 features, the extra footage had to be available in another area for 1.0 players, is that not the case? I remember it was that way on the first Fox 1.1 discs.
Old 08-18-08, 12:32 AM
Suspended

I thought for any disc with profile 1.1 features, the extra footage had to be available in another area for 1.0 players, is that not the case? I remember it was that way on the first Fox 1.1 discs.
From the looks of it, no.

U-571 shows only Audio Commentary under special features for me (on both my S350 and PS3) and U-Control is clearly at the front menu. I don't have a Prodile 1.0 to test these out, but since they are not technically listed on the back cover art I doubt these are on the disc anywhere.
Old 08-18-08, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
I thought for any disc with profile 1.1 features, the extra footage had to be available in another area for 1.0 players, is that not the case?
That's not the case, unfortunately.
Old 08-18-08, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I don't understand why there are still 1.0 players out there - that's bullshit.

Is it the S300 they're still pushing? I can't think of any others I've seen recently.
Old 08-18-08, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I don't understand why there are still 1.0 players out there - that's bullshit.
I don't understand why anyone would purchase a non-upgradable player.

Seriously though... why else would consumers be laying out extra $$$ for the player and the media except to get all the advantages of HD? Seems like a no brainer to me. That Warner of all companies is pulling this crap is beyond me. They were so cutting edge when DVD first came out, and now they seem to be hellbent on delivering HD content with the crappiest support/features.
Old 08-18-08, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
I don't understand why anyone would purchase a non-upgradable player.
I wouldn't expect the average person to understand the implications of buying a 1.0 player, assuming they are even aware what 1.0 means.

The profile thing has always been a legitimate ding against Blu-Ray, even at 2 years and counting,

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.