Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Will Blu-ray ever not be "good enough"?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Will Blu-ray ever not be "good enough"?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-08, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay G.
Why cheaper? Why not the same price?
Perhaps he means to replace the titles he already owns? If not I agree that the statement is a bit puzzling.
Old 07-13-08, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay G.
Why cheaper? Why not the same price?
Oops. yeah, same price works also! Edited my original post a little to fix it.

Last edited by videoguy; 07-13-08 at 11:23 PM.
Old 07-13-08, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by The Third Jake
Yeah, delivery will be the next big change, not presentation. Because really, a spinning disc is a pretty crappy delivery system. Sorry, Edison.
I won't disagree with this statement entirely. However, in order to progress, we need to find a system which is available to anyone at anytime, providing any movie ever put on disc and prior.

If I knew there was such a system, I wouldn't have a DVD collection, but reality sets in after a few seconds. At the moment, too many middle-men and obstacles to allow such a system to work so fluidly.

I think presentation will still trump delivery. Why? Because it's easier. We'll see more high-res HDTVs, and they will get bigger, and will get more inexpensive. As will the players of the HD content. What will be left behind is the delivery system.
Old 07-14-08, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes
Old 07-14-08, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rfduncan
Wait. We've gone through "Film"? Um, I believe that is exactly what the higher resolutions are trying to duplicate. Nothing surpasses the quality of a projected film image.
I actually think most movie theatre screens look like ass. The new DLP digital stuff is good, but I'd almost rather watch a movie in HD at home than in the theatre, nowadays, since a few of the people I know have really awesome setups.

Oh, and, of course, I have to see the Dark Knight in IMAX.
Old 07-14-08, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A lot of theater screens do look, well, not exactly like 'ass' but even something as seemingly infinite in 'resolution' (if that's the world we'll use for comparison) as film can still look just 'great' on a very very large screen. The DLP stuff is very impressive as well, I'll agree on that.

But I still don't think you're going to get the same kind of picture you'll get at home on your personal home theater. You're taking something you're seeing enlarged to HUGE proportions, and you're converting it to high definition imagery for a screen that's what, anywhere between 40"-60" for the average if not above average movie viewer?

If a movie isn't encoded correctly, sure it could suffer from some background noise but I can tell you for a fact that the right material could look not just 'great' on your HDTV at home, but it could look AMAZING.

I'm not being ignorant on the fact that film in and of itself must indeed look better. After all, it's the original image being taken from the time of filming and you can't really get better than an actual source. But with high definition in play in peoples homes, it can not only recreate the experience, but even make it better.

This is part of a whole other discussion but let's not forget the fact that if you take into account cell phones, middle school girls sitting together in a row of like six and giggling and snickering throughout a film, sticky floors, crying kids... it's a better experience at home as well.

But hey, people need to still warm up to high definition more and more. You could see immediate benefits from DVD on a standard def television, but there's zero difference between SD and HD on an SD set. And there's even people out there (quite a few) that do not think there's a huge difference between DVD and Blu-Ray to begin with. So for many out there right now for backwards reasons may think Blu-Ray is already not 'good enough'... because they feel it's unnecessary.
Old 07-14-08, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
I can't recall the last time I went to a local theater that actually projected their movies in proper focus. No problems like that at home.