Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

E.T debuts on HDNet Movies July

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-08, 11:34 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't know if the film has already made it's HiDef airing on Universal HD, but it's debutting on HDNet Movies July 5th.

The commercial though is hysterical:

This July...

The First Alien Life Form...

To Visit our planet...

Will come out of the closet

(door opens to reveal ET in drag... Elliot: "Oh God")

Old 06-24-08, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
The HDnet site has it listed as "New for July" which typically means it's new to HDnet altogether. Films they've played before never show that tagline.

I'm excited to see this, but I assume it's going to be the 2002 version.

In other "classic on HDnet" news, they'll be showing Superman III as well.
Old 06-24-08, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bunkaroo

I'm sure it'll be the Special Edition. But I trust that Spielberg will offer both versions again when it eventually hits Blu-ray. The recent Close Encounters release only reinforces this.

As for Superman III, I'd have to be either really bored or really drunk to give that one a look on HDNet Movies.
Old 06-24-08, 08:20 AM

The HDnet site has it listed as "New for July" which typically means it's new to HDnet altogether. Films they've played before never show that tagline.

yes, sorry not to mention this in my OP, it's the 2002 cut of the film.

oh I know it's the first broacast for HDNet, I just wasn't sure if it hadn't already been shown over on Universal HD before.

Last edited by Giles; 06-24-08 at 08:23 AM.
Old 06-25-08, 09:40 AM

here's the broadcast dates:

Sat, Jul 5th - 8:00 PM ET / 5:00 PM PT
Sun, Jul 6th - 12:15 AM ET / Sat, Jul 5th - 9:15 PM PT
Fri, Jul 18th - 8:00 PM ET / 5:00 PM PT
Sat, Jul 19th - 12:15 AM ET / Fri, Jul 18th - 9:15 PM PT
Old 07-12-08, 10:59 AM

I just watched this and it looked absolutley pristine - there's no reason why it should not be, the colours look strong, ultra crisp and vibrant... but what really wowed me was the 5.1 soundmix, while the DTS standard disc has an edge over the broadcast, it undoubtably is just a sampling of what the eventual bluray edition will look and sound, but better. As an adult, the scene I found most heartbreaking is the exchange between Elliott and 'Keys' - when he stated he wanted to see as a boy himself - I choked up.

Next weekend is the last of the broadcasts so I hope all you who get HDNet movies can see this. Incidently the AFI Silver is doing a Spielberg retrospect and is screening this in 35mm at the beginning of August.
Old 07-12-08, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Giles
Fri, Jul 18th - 8:00 PM ET / 5:00 PM PT
Sat, Jul 19th - 12:15 AM ET / Fri, Jul 18th - 9:15 PM PT
Darn it. I don't think I'll have an HD cable box by then. All the furniture is arriving sometime on the 18th and I won't phone my cable provider until I at least set up the HDTV and sound system.

When I go over to my friend's house we always watch HDNet. He doesn't care for much of the stuff on it besides the HDNet fights, but I love seeing all the commercials for the upcoming movies they're going to show. It is nice getting an early look at what the Blu-ray will look like. They show a lot of good movies on HDNet and will this channel, all of the major network channels, sports channels and Discovery channel and TLC in HD and Blu-ray for your physical HD media; It's hard even thinking about picking up a DVD or watching SD content on cable anymore. I'm not one of those Blu-ray rules, DVD sucks guys (I have 603 DVDs), but all this HD content really spoils you.
Old 07-12-08, 11:25 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I hope this hits BD by the holidays!
Old 07-14-08, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
It was fun watching again. Still, it's such a huge jolt when they go from the rubbery puppet to the CGI Charlie Callas.
Old 07-14-08, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Watched Superman III on high def, man the effects look really really bad. I mean bad. Picture was nice though.
Old 07-14-08, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by nateman
Darn it. I don't think I'll have an HD cable box by then. All the furniture is arriving sometime on the 18th and I won't phone my cable provider until I at least set up the HDTV and sound system.

When I go over to my friend's house we always watch HDNet. He doesn't care for much of the stuff on it besides the HDNet fights, but I love seeing all the commercials for the upcoming movies they're going to show. It is nice getting an early look at what the Blu-ray will look like. They show a lot of good movies on HDNet and will this channel, all of the major network channels, sports channels and Discovery channel and TLC in HD and Blu-ray for your physical HD media; It's hard even thinking about picking up a DVD or watching SD content on cable anymore. I'm not one of those Blu-ray rules, DVD sucks guys (I have 603 DVDs), but all this HD content really spoils you.
yes, yes it does...

it makes you wanna kick whoever is responsible over at Sony, Warners and Universal to release the HiDef movies quicker onto bluray.