Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

PS3 Blu-Ray Question...

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

PS3 Blu-Ray Question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-08, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PS3 Blu-Ray Question...

It's not clear anywhere about the output of Blu-Ray to non-HDMI sets. Of course to most people it seems silly that one would get Blu-Ray if you can't watch it in HD. Here's the scenario I currently own an older HD set and work in media. In the next month I'll have the options of getting comp Blu-Ray's instead of DVD's. I'm not quite ready to spring for a new TV at this time, but figure it'd be wise to be getting the Blu-Rays instead.

I know the standard Blu-Ray players dumb down the signal if your using Component (instead of HDMI). Is this the case of PS3? I did a search the other day and read it only plays with HDMI, however there is limited information on this.

Yes, I know this sounds crazy to want to watched a down res. version of a Blu-Ray - but if you could get it for free would you?

Will it work?
Old 06-06-08, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
You'll be fine, the Blu-ray player will still work in 720p and 1080i which is, I'm assuming, the max your TV supports anyhow (and what most PS3 owners are currently at). You just can't play in 1080p or upconvert dvds.

I say go for it. Presumably, you'll be getting all your TV can handle anyway. As far as I know, no company has used the ICT (Image Constraint Token, which limits you to lower resolutions on non-HDCP setups) yet. Even if they do, you'll still be fine.

720p/1080i pisses all over 480i (standard dvd), 1080p isn't a huge improvement over 720p/1080i currently.
Old 06-06-08, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Yep, what RichC2 said. In the future, I'm sure you'll end up getting a more suped up TV, but for now you might as well push your TV to the max. I don't think it's crazy at all. I would do the same thing in your position. As it is, my TV is only 720p/1080i, but it does have HDMI. But anyway, I can still notice a difference between Blu-Ray and DVD on my 46" set.
Old 06-06-08, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
You'll be fine with your TV and a PS3. I have an older HDTV without HDMI and I can still watch in 1080i just fine.

It's a HUGE improvement over DVD
Old 06-06-08, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by T2Blu
I know the standard Blu-Ray players dumb down the signal if your using Component (instead of HDMI).
I don't think this is true. You may need HDMI to get 1080p in some players, but there's really no "dumbing down" of the image over component.

You might be thinking of the Image Constraint Token (ICT), which, if present on the disc, will tell the player to downsample the image to 540p. However, I am not aware of any BDs that use it yet. Supposedly they are going to wait until 2012 or some year to start using it.