Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Limited Edition Blu-Ray Titles that will be OOP?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 06-02-08, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I haven't made the jump yet, but will probably get the MGS4 PS3 bundle next month. I'd like to get some BR titles during the Deep Discount sale, but money is going to be tight this summer, and frankly, discs with BR-exclusive content like JUNO are only going to be cheaper if I hold out until Christmas. I'd rather wait and get 20% off $19.99 than buy it now at $27.99.

I've already got the BLADE RUNNER suitcase, but are there any other similar titles that will be off the market if I wait?

I was told, for example, that BONNIE & CLYDE will stop including the hardcover book at some point. If true, that's the kind of thing I'd like to order sooner than later.

Anyone know what else is out there like that?

Last edited by Geist; 06-02-08 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-02-08, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't think any other BD titles have been released yet that are supposed to be limited, aside from maybe the Harry Potter set. Make sure you open it soon if you get it, since some copies had an HD DVD edition of one of the films inside.

I wouldn't expect price drops on certain titles yet, especially the day and date titles. Price drops have been few and far between, and there are still titles released in 2006 that haven't dropped in price yet. It's not like DVD, where you can definitely expect to pay less if you wait a bit.

In addition, the bargains haven't really been as good since the format war ended. We used to routinely get BOGO deals, but now we're lucky if we get B2G1. However, there are sales from time to time, so just check the bargains thread often to keep up. Did you get in on the WB store's 30% off deal? If not, you'll wish you had posted just a couple of days ago. Well, this week is deal week for HD at Amazon. If you want the Die Hard set, it's on sale today for $56.99 (though bear in mind that LFODH is not the unrated version).

About that Bonnie and Clyde disc: it comes in a "book-type" case, where the case is similar to a book and it has pages attached to the inside of the front. It's not a separate book, if that's what you were thinking. One thing I don't like about it is that it's slightly taller and wider than a standard BD case, so it doesn't line up well with other titles. Other people seem to love it, and if you like digipacks you probably will too. I haven't heard anything about it being discontinued, but we'll see.
Old 06-02-08, 07:24 AM

Yeah, I'm assuming that prices will be better come October, so I thought I'd limit myself to titles that might not be around by then.
Old 06-02-08, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, I just remembered that the upcoming BD of Batman Begins has a limited edition. We don't know how limited that will be though.
Old 06-02-08, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Since this format is really just getting going, does anyone really think that anything will be OOP for the forseeable future?

Seems to me you are shopping for packaging not movies.

Last edited by Brian Shannon; 06-02-08 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-02-08, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess it's possible that the BD Disney Platinum titles (of which I believe Sleeping Beauty will be the first) will retain the "one-year-then-back-to-the-vault" stocking schedule the DVD lines have had, but I don't think we've heard anything definitive on it yet.
Old 06-02-08, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by dvd182
I guess it's possible that the BD Disney Platinum titles (of which I believe Sleeping Beauty will be the first) will retain the "one-year-then-back-to-the-vault" stocking schedule the DVD lines have had, but I don't think we've heard anything definitive on it yet.
Ya....I'm just curious to see how Sleeping Beauty looks. Disney needs to get in gear with their old releases. They need the 1080 treatment. Sweeney Todd steelbook will be oop. Blade runner briefcase...i doubt it. There's a 100k of them out there.
Old 06-02-08, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HD DVDs are OOP
Old 06-02-08, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
HD DVDs are OOP
I was wondering how long that would take
Old 06-02-08, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Blade Runner gift set is OOP, as is the Harry Potter one.
Old 06-02-08, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon

Seems to me you are shopping for packaging not movies.
Whatever label you like. "Versions of things like the BLADE RUNNER suitcase that might not be available come Christmas."

If there are things like the BONNIE & CLYDE disc that might cost the same but include less a few months from now, I just asked for a head's up.
Old 06-02-08, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,124 Likes on 760 Posts
The Harry Potter set may be OOP, but what are the odds a new boxset won't be available when the next movie hits BD? or when the complete series is finally released on BD?
Old 06-02-08, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
The Harry Potter set may be OOP, but what are the odds a new boxset won't be available when the next movie hits BD? or when the complete series is finally released on BD?
Oh, there will surely be a new set when the series is done, but that doesn't seem to stop people from buying incomplete sets for other movies. I'm not sure about when the next movie comes out, since the current set compiled all of the movies up to that point for the first time.
Old 06-15-08, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hardly a special edition (actually far from it lol), but today in McCarver's thread, he listed Phonebooth as being OOP.

Last edited by Hammer99; 06-15-08 at 07:34 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-15-08, 07:46 PM

Down the line the Steelbook edition of "I Am Legend" might be worthwhile.
Old 06-15-08, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sweeney Todd steelbook from the U.K. will be rare.
Old 06-17-08, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sweeney Todd steelbook from the U.K. will be rare.
Ugh. Had to bring that up, did you? I'm still ACHING for my copy to arrive from Amazon UK.
Old 06-17-08, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Ugh. Had to bring that up, did you? I'm still ACHING for my copy to arrive from Amazon UK.
Has anyone mentioned lately how incredibly awesome it is?
Old 06-17-08, 04:51 PM
Banned

HD DVDs are OOP

Old 06-17-08, 04:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I'd say about 1 to 3,000,000,000
Old 06-17-08, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The French region-free LE of La Mome more than likely will be OOP as it is numbered (and already absent from a few smaller vendors).

Pro-B
Old 06-17-08, 08:30 PM

I'm not falling for this limited crap anymore. I used to go apeshit buying limited Critirion editions like The Killer or Walt Disney tins etc Nothing is really limited as long as i have patience. Remember when Fletch went OOP. Gee when BD becomes big and i'm sure there will be limited discs at least in the short run. I just refuse to play that game anymore. I SPENT way too much on those discs.

Wait till all the new disneys start coming out. All those limited SD dvds won't be so limited anymore. You will finding them sold at the pawn shops for a BD upgrade. I know it's the nature of how the cycle is run but i hope to be a smarter consumer this time around.
Old 06-17-08, 11:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
The French region-free LE of La Mome more than likely will be OOP as it is numbered (and already absent from a few smaller vendors).

Pro-B
Old 06-18-08, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wewantflair
Has anyone mentioned lately how incredibly awesome it is?
wewantflair
(You bastid.)
Old 06-18-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Funny thing is I got a copy of the steelbook BD of Sweeney Todd (sorry rfduncan), as I just wanted the film on Blu as soon as possible, Truth be told, I really don't care too much about the steelbook. I mean it is cool, but if it does become rare I will no doubt cash it out and get the regular version.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.