Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Gattaca - Superbit VS Blu Ray

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 05-25-08, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts

I'm sure that the Blu Ray is better than the Superbit, but here's my question...

How much better is the Blu Ray than the Superbit DVD for Gattaca?

I found the Superbit for $3 at Big/Lots and picked it up, but I'm debating whether to keep it or just sell it and buy the Blu Ray. I've never seen the movie, but it's gotten rave reviews from fans and even some critics, so is the Blu Ray worth the blind buy, or should I check out the Superbit first? (And is the Superbit good enough that I can live with it until Gattaca shows up at Fry's for $11.99 again?)
Old 05-25-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Yes. Aside from the movie looking much better (despite some edge enhancement), you'll also get some good extras.

A Superbit was nothing special anyway. All it really amounted to was a better job of compression on what was usually the same transfer. It wasn't as if there was more noticeable detail or anything.

However, I would consider checking out your copy first, since it was only $3. While I think it's a great film and would love to recommend it, I don't really believe in blind buys anymore. You just never know when a film that many others like is not going to connect with you.
Old 05-25-08, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DVD Beaver Comparison

There is no comparison.
Old 05-25-08, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts
my recommendation: watch the $3 superbit since it cost less than a rental. if you end up liking the movie, definitely buy the BD.
Old 05-27-08, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to say that the Blu-Ray edition blew me away! It is one of the best high-def discs I've seen since the format was born. The Superbits were good for what they were in their time, but as with all other DVDs, they cannot compare to true high definition. I'm with kefrank, though: rent the movie if you have yet to see it, and if you end up liking it, definitely opt for the Blu!
Old 05-27-08, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
What Superbit can't ever do is match the colors.
Old 05-28-08, 01:14 AM

Why are the colors so different? Color correction works for DVDs last I checked.
Old 05-28-08, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Sometimes a DVD is stripped of not only important data which take away detail, but also color data. Many DVDs with large blocks of the same color, will just tweak out and you can see the compression way too easily within the colored areas (the area looks like it's moving because of all the compression artifacts "moving" around).

This might be the reason for the massive color differences, and why the colors on the Blu-ray version could have never been displayed properly on DVD. Maybe the recording folk at the studio saw there was no way they could introduce such a highly saturated amount of colors without significant problems.
Old 05-28-08, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Sometimes a DVD is stripped of not only important data which take away detail, but also color data. Many DVDs with large blocks of the same color, will just tweak out and you can see the compression way too easily within the colored areas (the area looks like it's moving because of all the compression artifacts "moving" around).

This might be the reason for the massive color differences, and why the colors on the Blu-ray version could have never been displayed properly on DVD. Maybe the recording folk at the studio saw there was no way they could introduce such a highly saturated amount of colors without significant problems.
All of this is true, but there is even more to it than that. HD actually has a completely different colorspace than SD, allowing for a broader range of color with subtler hues.
Old 05-28-08, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kefrank
my recommendation: watch the $3 superbit since it cost less than a rental. if you end up liking the movie, definitely buy the BD.
Definitely my recommendation too. I mean you may not like the movie at all - personally I was just "meh" about it. No replay value for me...
Old 05-28-08, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by wewantflair
All of this is true, but there is even more to it than that. HD actually has a completely different colorspace than SD, allowing for a broader range of color with subtler hues.
Absolutely.

Can't wait to get my Blu-ray player.
Old 05-28-08, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts
First, I love this movie. One of my all-time favorites. I've purchased it in all formats. First, the standard DVD. Which was not good. Then Superbit, a great improvent. But the Blu-Ray is jaw dropping. I couldn't believe how clear and colorful it was. Like others have said, rent it first in case you don't love it. But if you're a fan, this is a no brainer. I'd rate the BD picture quality a 9.5/10.
Old 05-28-08, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts
I've never seen Gattaca, but I did find the Superbit for $3 as I noted, so I'll plan on watching that at some point and if I like the movie I'll pick up the Blu Ray.

Of course, if I find the Blu Ray for less than $14 before I get a chance to watch the Superbit I may just have to pick it up...
Old 05-28-08, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This BD looks amazing.
Old 05-28-08, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by matome
This BD looks amazing.
And I've seen in just about everywhere for $15.99 or less these days.

Oh, matome. I noticed your signature. Have you ever seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljEfBRX0vKA
Old 05-28-08, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOL, that was freaky! Thanks, never saw it before. Now I have to search for some more on the Tube.
Old 05-28-08, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by B5Erik
I've never seen Gattaca, but I did find the Superbit for $3 as I noted, so I'll plan on watching that at some point and if I like the movie I'll pick up the Blu Ray.

Of course, if I find the Blu Ray for less than $14 before I get a chance to watch the Superbit I may just have to pick it up...
$15.95 at Amazon right now. Pretty good.
Old 05-28-08, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
part of the 2 for $30 at bestbuy.com right now too.