Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray/DVD hybrid discs

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray/DVD hybrid discs

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-08, 10:45 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blu-ray/DVD hybrid discs

I liked the idea behind the 2 sided HDDVD discs that had a DVD version of the movie on one side and was wondering why hybrid Blu-ray discs like this weren't offered.

I saw this article discussing the new BD/DVD hybrid discs that JVC is developing. Instead of 2 sides it's " a single-layer BD-ROM (25GB) and a dual-layer DVD-ROM (8.5GB) in the same disc, which can be read in both players as the Blu-ray layer is transparent to the red laser used in a conventional DVD player."
The versatilty of movies being released on this format sounds really great, but would the quality be the same as a standard BD movie? Are they usually dual layer rather than the single layer 25GB?
Old 05-08-08, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The question is cost. The reason HD DVD hybirds were hated was the extra cost. If this is the case with BD hybrids they can keep them.
Old 05-08-08, 10:59 PM

For ne I think the DVD portion was left out of the specs for Blu-ray...I guess they figured there was no need. I know HD-DVD had already done what JVC is trying to do now...They did both the dual side and the "1 side two versions".....

One major reason they left it out IMO is the space issue....25GB is "not enough" these days to have the high quality encodes that we are seeing....In order to get these high bit rate and lossless sound the 50GB dual layer disc is needed....Movies right now are usually 50 GB dual layer discs...There are a few 25GB out there, but I dont think youll find any of them at the top of the "quality" list.

While it may have help bring users on more gradually, dont think the sacrifice of the quality of the encode would be worth it at this point...There may be some titles that benefit from this though (independent studios, low bit encodes, ect), for the majority of the movies it isnt practical.
Old 05-08-08, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If Blu-ray starts doing this like HD-DVD did and charges an extra $10, I'm going to be VERY pissed off.
Old 05-09-08, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

^^ I'd be quite upset, too. No way I'd buy ANY titles that are hybrids.
Old 05-09-08, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Ugh. We don't need these hybrids so we can have gimped Blu-Ray's.

Isn't it funny how combos never caught on for HD DVD in Europe or elsewhere. Then again widescreen displays caught on much sooner there too.
Old 05-12-08, 10:04 AM
Banned

double-sided discs suck. Plain and simple.
Old 05-12-08, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Originally Posted by Viper187
double-sided discs suck. Plain and simple.
This isn't a double-sided disc, though, according to the original post.
Old 05-12-08, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, triple layer discs suck.

Old 05-12-08, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really dig the idea as long as there's no extra cost involved (which is understandably unlikely). DVDs have an amazing portability and that's not going to change any time soon. Right now, any Blu-Ray I buy is limited to one place and one place only. I can't bring it over to my friend's place for dinner & movie night, I can't pop it in my PC if I wanted background noise while working on something in the bedroom, I can't lend it to someone, etc.
Old 05-12-08, 04:35 PM

hybrid discs are fantastic (don't listen to the naysayers, they are a small vocal minority overall), but they just never got it right on HD-DVD. Problems occurred, then blamed on the hybrid discs. They priced them higher, which people didn't like at all.

But in the end it was a fantastic add-on SPECIAL FEATURE. You don't hear people complaining over and over that deleted scenes piss them off. Yet they do, in some small respect, INCREASE the price of your new favorite dvd.

The special feature in the case of HD-DVD was preceived negatively due to price and problems. If Blu-ray can do it right then I am all for it. The capacity for stores to not have to explain things, as well as the extra perceived value would be great.
Old 05-12-08, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
The instant any hybrid disc endangers the HD content, whether it's capacity or compatibility, it is most unwelcome.

If they come up with a hybrid that is still BD50 and has no more technical issues than a non-hybrid, fine.

HD DVD combos caused disc play issues outside of the price problem. Problems with dual-sided, dual layer discs go back to DVD-18. It was not just about HD DVD.

The proposed triple layer disc would have either gimped the HD DVD presentation or the DVD layer, as only one could be dual layer. If they had gotten that far, and were able to make HD30/DVD5 triple layers with less issues than combos, fine. But I have feeling they would have had their own compatibility issues especially with the older players.

Blu-Ray is fine the way it is.

Signed,

The Vocal Minority
Old 05-12-08, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Sounds like away to keep BD from ever becoming the major format, to me.
Old 05-12-08, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
To borrow a phrase from Darth Vader...

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Old 05-12-08, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Loved HD-DVD combo discs. Not a big fan of the flipper setup - single sided would be better - but it was worth it for the DVD side.

I think the people having problems with combo discs were just a vocal minority. I never had any problems with any of the combo discs I've played, on an Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive, HD-A2, and HD-XA2 now. And that included the infamous Children of Men disc.

I'm going to be seriously questioning buying anything for the kids on BD since it lacks portability. Our 2.5yr old is getting to the age that she'll watch a Pixar movie (hell, she loves Planet Earth for some reason).

Either that or I rip the disc and compress it into a DVD (this depends on how the BD+ DRM vs hackers war continues to play out).

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 05-12-08 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-12-08, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
I didn't particularly like the HD DVD Combos that much. Gluing two discs together made me uneasy. Also, this article is from 2005, right? So, I wonder if this idea has been laid to rest.