Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Criterion releases on Blu-Rays

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Criterion releases on Blu-Rays

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-09, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
^ I thought they were cutting back on booklets and going the online route for printed supplements.
that is soooooooo false.
Old 04-05-09, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Criterion themselves have said as much and they've already dropped some printed material from the BD editions of The Man Who Fell to Earth, The Third Man and The Last Emperor. (The Ran BD was also supposedly missing an essay from the DVD release, but that's a moot point for now.) I doubt we'll be seeing anything like the big fat Pandora's Box or Earrings of Madame de... booklets in the future.
Old 04-05-09, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Dan Average
I doubt we'll be seeing anything like the big fat Pandora's Box or Earrings of Madame de... booklets in the future.
I wonder if this will be a factor in what gets released when on BD vs DVD.

For example, if they have lots of great print materials for a particular title will they delay the publication of the BD version, or forgo publication altogether, if the quantity of stuff doesn't fit into a BD booklet/case (or in the case of video supplements -- on the BD disk)?

All the complaints in this thread about the now-cancelled (delayed?) 'Ran' dropping the "Kurosawa's Continuity" piece seemed to ignore the fact that the feature appears on Disk 2 of the DVD set. Criterion has previously stated that they anticipate that customers who upgrade their DVD sets will simply remove the DVD from the DVD cases and replace it with the Blu-ray disk. In this scenario, no one loses a featurette and no one loses any content from their booklets. (And it is implied that fans of Kurosawa or cinema already own these DVD special editions.)

Presumably any Blu-rays published at the same time as the DVD version will have the same content, both on the disk and in the accompanying print materials.
Old 04-05-09, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by theWitcher
For example, if they have lots of great print materials for a particular title will they delay the publication of the BD version, or forgo publication altogether, if the quantity of stuff doesn't fit into a BD booklet/case (or in the case of video supplements -- on the BD disk)?
This strikes me as cutting off your nose to spite your face, seeing how Criterion claims BD makes up a disproportionate amount of their sales (in other words, BD is a higher percentage of Criterion's sales than it is in the overall market). It's far more likely that they will do exactly what they've said they'll do and put the material online instead. As for supplements, they've already dropped one major supplement from a BD release (the TV version of The Last Emperor) and of course they were going to do the same with Ran.

Originally Posted by theWitcher
All the complaints in this thread about the now-cancelled (delayed?) 'Ran' dropping the "Kurosawa's Continuity" piece seemed to ignore the fact that the feature appears on Disk 2 of the DVD set. Criterion has previously stated that they anticipate that customers who upgrade their DVD sets will simply remove the DVD from the DVD cases and replace it with the Blu-ray disk. In this scenario, no one loses a featurette and no one loses any content from their booklets. (And it is implied that fans of Kurosawa or cinema already own these DVD special editions.)
That's a pretty lame assumption, if that is indeed what they're assuming. I never bought the Criterion Ran -- I bought the admittedly crappy Wellspring release, watched it once, and never felt compelled to watch it again -- but I most likely would've picked up the BD. In any case it's not like they dropped the other disc 2 supplements from the BD release, hence the deletion of that one particular supplement being a bit of a sore spot for folks. It's also short-term thinking, since over the years a sizable number of new viewers will come around to Kurosawa (or whoever) and those viewers will be increasingly inclined to go for the BD edition as the HD market matures.
Old 04-05-09, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TLwizard
This is equivalent to them releasing The Rock and Armaggedon... except those were good movies.

I just hope this means that Criterion has a Fincher deal and will be releasing The Game.
With all due respect...

...on both counts (I know I'm in the minority here, but I just don't see The Game as that good of a movie).

Last edited by MTRodaba2468; 04-05-09 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-05-09, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With all due respect...

... "due" respect.
Old 04-05-09, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't care much for The Game. It ranks just a tad higher than Alien 3 for me.
Old 04-05-09, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
With all due respect...

... "due" respect.
Not much sleep this weekend. Fixed.
Old 04-06-09, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,265 Likes on 2,100 Posts

Ok, so I just received my SD version of Ran and I'm about to unwrap it so the Blu-ray hold up should be resolved in the next day or two.
Old 04-06-09, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
With all due respect...

...on both counts (I know I'm in the minority here, but I just don't see The Game as that good of a movie).
I don't think The Game is his best movie but I think it's better then Button, and Fight Club/Seven already have super duper editions out.

And I'm all for Criterion releasing Button if it allows them to keep doing what they do in general (btw I can't wait for In the Realm of the Senses). I just don't want all the people who have been poo-pooing on Armaggedon and The Rock all this time to delude themselves into thinking they are buying a better quality movie with Button. But, perhaps another thread should be started discussing how Fincher has started to lose his ability and interest in story as he has further pursued technical niches in film (starting with Panic Room, continuing downhill with Zodiac, and ending here at the bottom with Button.)

I will also take this time to say how easy a transition Criterion is making it to switch to Blu-ray. First off, their DVD releases have consistently maintained their value. Even their OOP titles have either gone up in value, or even if rereleased, have kept a big chunk of what they were worth. On top of this, the blu-rays are priced evenly with the DVD releases. So it's a no brainer not to switch, although it is a bummer when some important extra features aren't ported over, and I'm still confused as why that has to happen that way. But, in regards to Blu-ray, and some of their packaging aside, Criterion has provided the easiest and happiest double-dips from me.
Old 04-06-09, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by cgray
I agree it's probably Kagemusha, but eye candy (Dreams) in hi-def wouldn't be all bad. I think some of the scenes/colors in Dreams are pretty stunning. Maybe I'm in the minority here.
I'm in your camp. And I think that Dreams is a lot more than just eye candy and for that reason would be deserving of the Criterion treatment to provide the scholarly support for this. It's very easy to watch some of his other movies and understand why they were made or why they are important, but I think that Dreams is much more elusive and therefore unfairly and prematurely written off.
Old 04-07-09, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Some scans are up at DVD Empire...

Old 04-08-09, 11:17 AM

If anyone hasn't seen it, yet, Pro-B has a review up for "In The Realm Of The Senses over at blu-ray.com. Sorry, still can't post links.

CC

Last edited by ccfixx; 04-08-09 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-08-09, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ccfixx
If anyone hasn't seen it, yet, a review for "In The Realm Of The Senses is up over at blu-ray.com. Sorry, still can't post links.

CC
Thanks for the heads up!
Old 04-08-09, 11:55 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

the screencaps for 'Realm of the Senses' are astounding!
Old 04-08-09, 03:50 PM

DVDBeaver has their comparison review up for "The Wages Of Fear" now, too.

CC
Old 04-08-09, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DVDBeaver has their comparison review up for "The Wages Of Fear" now, too.
Here it is.
Old 04-08-09, 06:21 PM

If anyone hasn't seen it, yet, Pro-B has a review up for "In The Realm Of The Senses over at blu-ray.com. Sorry, still can't post links.

CC
Too bad he spoiled the ending of the film for those of us who haven't seen it. Some sort of warning would have been appreciated.
Old 04-08-09, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If anyone hasn't seen it, yet, Pro-B has a review up for "In The Realm Of The Senses over at blu-ray.com.
Here it is.
Old 04-08-09, 07:35 PM

Here's an update on the new cases with already released movies:

Dear ****,

Thank you for your email and for your kind words about our company! Currently, we do not have any plans to change the packaging of the early Blu-ray releases, but it is something we are considering. Please feel free to email me should you have any other questions!

Sincerely,

Jon Mulvaney
Old 04-08-09, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by anomynous
Here's an update on the new cases with already released movies [...]
I guess that's the price of being an early supporter. Ah well, thanks for checking and planting a seed at least.
Old 04-09-09, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

DVD Beaver on In the Realm of the Senses- screencaps NSFW
Old 04-09-09, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by NoirFan
DVD Beaver on In the Realm of the Senses- screencaps NSFW
Greatest. Menu Shot. Ever.
Old 04-09-09, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Greatest. Menu Shot. Ever.
I agree, Popcorn... that is one good "shot."

CC
Old 04-16-09, 02:09 PM

They're in!!!!!!!!!! "For All Mankind" and "Repulsion"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CC

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.