DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   AvP Requiem BD missing unrated footage! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/529688-avp-requiem-bd-missing-unrated-footage.html)

Robert 04-16-08 09:05 PM

AvP Requiem BD missing unrated footage!

Check out this thread in the AVS forum

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post13653826

:mad: Another screw up from Fox!

Gizmo 04-16-08 09:48 PM

They pulled a Die Hard?

I have yet to even open up my boxset.

MBoyd 04-16-08 09:55 PM

So it's definitely too dark? I didnt see it in the theater but I remember thinking the trailer looked too dark.

True_Story1011 04-16-08 09:58 PM

I'm getting pretty irrate with the way studio's are handling High Def media.

DVD Polizei 04-16-08 10:19 PM

No kidding. If it's any fault HD will come to a hault, it will be because of idiots like this studio.

I personally can't believe the kind of treatment HD has been getting by the studios. Warner has done a pretty good job, even though I absolutely despise their company (btw, before they announced they were going Blu-ray).

I'm gonna be really picky when I buy my Blu-ray titles in the future. And this might be just me, but I see a lot of poor ratings for Blu-ray releases. More than usual. I mean seriously, if the studios know the release is going to look like shit...then DON'T FUCKING RELEASE IT and move on to something else we've been asking for. Jesus Christ in HD, already.

Gizmo 04-16-08 10:34 PM

As far as 'quality' goes I would rank them...

Disney/Buena Vista
Sony
Universal
Warner/Newlines
Lionsgate
Paramount
Fox

So far it looks like several seconds are cut from the BD as well as it being darker in certain areas.

Supermallet 04-17-08 12:40 AM

The missing footage is a few seconds, not all of the unrated footage. Just a single shot. And I had no problems with black crush or the film being too dark.

Gizmo 04-17-08 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
The missing footage is a few seconds, not all of the unrated footage. Just a single shot. And I had no problems with black crush or the film being too dark.

Disney is a god by issuing out all new POTC discs for a a few seconds that were mis-framed that took months for someone to notice. Hopefully Fox will follow through, but all signs point to no. Oh well. I'll give my copy a spin this week and promptly stick it on eBay anyway. Only got it thanks to the Amazon price screwup.

Yavin 04-17-08 08:55 AM

I guess this gives me a reason not to buy this title yet. I've been spending too much on HD DVD and Blu-ray lately anyway. My guess is that either Fox will not address this or will issue replacements through a mail-in program (as with the Star Wars OT DVD) and possibly quietly replace discs in upcoming production runs (as with the PoTC:CotBP Blu-ray)

Mr. Cinema 04-17-08 09:00 AM

I'll be watching it this weekend. I don't care about the missing footage. I prefer what was shown in theaters most of the time, since that is the official release. I just hope it's not too dark for my eyes. DVD Talk and HD Digest both gave the video high marks, so I'm not worried.

Artman 04-17-08 09:29 AM

Anyone been able to compare the SD-DVD's video quality? As Cinema pointed out this got near perfect marks by reviewers... so this is a bit confusing.

applesandrice 04-17-08 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Artman
. . .this got near perfect marks by reviewers . . .

So did the first "Pirates of the Caribbean".:)

Boo!! Down with the reviewers! They're all on the take!! Everyone -- rise up and cast off the shackles of reviewer oppression! To arms, men! Burn, gouge, poke and noogie!!!

Holy crap -- I've gotta switch to decaf.

True_Story1011 04-17-08 12:11 PM

I'm highly doubting 20th Century is going to take care of this - But I guess time will only tell.

Has anyone tried contacting them to see what they have planned for this goof?

PhantomStranger 04-17-08 07:46 PM

The disc provides both the unrated and theatrical cuts of the movie, though some claim one short scene involving gore has been left out of the unrated cut on the Blu-ray. The disc itself is pure reference all the way through. Anyone that has problems with black levels from this disc doesn't have their display properly calibrated to pass blacker than black data. There is not one moment of black crush in the entire film.

dx23 04-17-08 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
They pulled a Die Hard?

I have yet to even open up my boxset.

what's wrong with Die Hard? And which Die Hard by the way?

Gizmo 04-17-08 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by dx23
what's wrong with Die Hard? And which Die Hard by the way?

Live Free Die Hard (the newest) in the PG13 cut, while the PG13 cut and Unrated is available on DVD.

Mr. Cinema 04-21-08 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet

I watched the theatrical version last night and also didn't have a problem with the film being "too dark". Yeah, there are alot of dark sequences, but I don't think the detail was diminished. Although it's not saying much at all, I enjoyed AVP:R much more than I did the original. As far as tech specs go, the video quality was terrific, but the audio was even better. I can only listen to the core mix right now, but the DTS track was one of the more active mixes I've heard so far. Great use of the surrounds.

Supermallet 04-21-08 02:35 PM

I downloaded the digital copy of the film and it does have the missing shot that's not in the Blu-ray.

MBoyd 04-21-08 04:40 PM

So is the digital copy actually on the disc? The reason I ask is that it shows up in itunes in the "purchased" folder. I wondered if it just unlocked an itunes version and downloaded from the store

Supermallet 04-21-08 11:26 PM

It downloads from the iTunes store using a link provided on the disc.

Deftones 04-22-08 11:35 AM

Can anyone confirm there's an audio pop about 12:20 in? Very loud and sounded like a gunshot in my house. :lol:

Luckily this is a rental.

trubiet 04-22-08 03:27 PM

I watched most of it the other night. It takes alot for me to stop watching a disc, especially a Blu-ray disc that I waited to get/BB Online. Crappy PQ, it was way too dark. My wife kept on asking me what was going on, I told her I couldn't tell half of the time either. We both agreed to turn it off.

Artman 04-22-08 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
Can anyone confirm there's an audio pop about 12:20 in? Very loud and sounded like a gunshot in my house. :lol:

Luckily this is a rental.

This is actually an existing problem with many of the master audio formated discs (fox's). It doesn't appear to be a disc problem (they're likely all the same) but a hardware issue. A couple yrs into the format and you'd hope we'd be past things like this...sigh...

whomod 04-27-08 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by trubiet
I watched most of it the other night. It takes alot for me to stop watching a disc, especially a Blu-ray disc that I waited to get/BB Online. Crappy PQ, it was way too dark. My wife kept on asking me what was going on, I told her I couldn't tell half of the time either. We both agreed to turn it off.

:lol:

Yep. Aside from the film being nearly incomprehensible what with the film being way too dark for it's own good, the fact that that alien walks around sporting dreadlocks makes fights between it and the Predator, also sporting dreadlocks, impossible to follow.

And don't even get me started on the menus. I have to rate these by far the WORST menu's I have ever seen on ANY DVD. Bar none.

and finally.. What? Is 29.99 now the "sale" price rather than the average cost?? Way to kill off any interest in HD media.

I'd say that this was a waste of money. Because of the film being too dark, I really don't see any benefit in the BD version from the standard DVD version. You'll still get a crappy dark hard to follow picture regardless.

don't better films just do night scenes with blue light to represent darkness. It's "darkness" you can actually see what's going on !

bunkaroo 04-27-08 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Artman
This is actually an existing problem with many of the master audio formated discs (fox's). It doesn't appear to be a disc problem (they're likely all the same) but a hardware issue. A couple yrs into the format and you'd hope we'd be past things like this...sigh...

Here is a link to the master thread at AVS about this:

To be accurate there are a total of 12 titles (including AvP 2) with this confirmed, 2 of which are HD DVD's, and several others are imports.

Make no mistake, this is a serious issue, but I would not call this many of the discs. it also only affects those who are bitstreaming, so those using the PS3 or other players to decode internally are not at risk.

I encourage everyone to check the linked thread, as it provides a wealth of knowledge on the subject including how to update several kinds of receiver to eliminate the issue. I updated my Onkyo 605 with no issues and the problem disappeared.