Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

TV Shows on Blu-Ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

TV Shows on Blu-Ray

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-08, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think we are going to see a shift in thinking soon. Criterion going Blu and prices going down probably within the next few months, the studios are going to want to milk us out of every dollar on a hi-def double/triple dip. It is only a matter of time.

However, if they want that to happen, they really need to make sure all the extras carry over. If they don't then people will be pissed.
Old 05-09-08, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 135 Posts
I love TV on Blu, but now that almost weekly sales on TV sets are here, the average person will probably be reluctant to shell out over $50 for one season of anything?

I remember spending ~$100 for each season of X-Files and DS9, so paying $65 for Lost S3 doesn't phase me in the least. But most people weren't buying TV on DVD that early when prices were still crazy.

I expect more BD releases from HBO than other studios this year. The previously mentioned Band Of Brothers will hopefully be one. I'm hoping John Adams sees a Blu release as well. And going back to the early Sopranos seasons would IMO be a great way to lure people in to Blu on TV.
Old 05-09-08, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave
Holy crap. How can this much time go by with no new tv shows coming to BD?
Why would they release tv shows on a dead format?
Old 05-09-08, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 914 Likes on 649 Posts
Just give me Lost: S1 & 2 and 24: Season 1 and I'll be happy.
Old 05-09-08, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I will agree that the pricing is crap. Firefly is $69 at Amazon for pre-orders. I bought the SD for $19.95.
Old 05-14-08, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Updated to include Terminator TSCC
Old 07-28-08, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk God

updated
Old 07-28-08, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
very happy to see that Californication may be coming out in the format. That will look nice.

Also, CSI:Miama...as nutty as this series can be, it's got to be one of the most beautiful shows ever on television. Need my blu-ray, for sure.
Old 07-28-08, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 914 Likes on 649 Posts
Lost: S3 and Heroes: S1 will no longer be lonely on my shelf. Today I ordered Heroes:S2, Pushing Daisies and Chuck.

btw kvrdave, Chuck is available for order on Amazon. The original post indicates otherwise.
Old 07-30-08, 01:29 PM
Cool New Member

9 episodes of pushing daisies for $30 - ouch. I'll still buy it though

Any news of the x-files seasons coming to blu-ray? I've got the first 5 seasons of the show from the original run and I'd love to slim it up a bit.
Old 07-30-08, 03:21 PM

What I am gonna do is collecting just Blue Ray TV Shows right now and by the time I have collected all the Shows on Blue Ray I will be buying the shows on Standard that unlikely to be on Blue Ray. That way there is more a chance of me not buying a show in standard and then finding out it will be on Blue Ray. I think I'll start with Smallville Season 7 and so on. Really there are only about 5 sets that are worth getting on Blue Ray right now. I think I am gonna hold off and getting any of the shows from Friends,Buffy,Angel,Roswell, and One Tree Hill
Old 07-30-08, 03:39 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by PHMustang2000
What I am gonna do is collecting just Blue Ray TV Shows right now and by the time I have collected all the Shows on Blue Ray I will be buying the shows on Standard that unlikely to be on Blue Ray. That way there is more a chance of me not buying a show in standard and then finding out it will be on Blue Ray. I think I'll start with Smallville Season 7 and so on. Really there are only about 5 sets that are worth getting on Blue Ray right now. I think I am gonna hold off and getting any of the shows from Friends,Buffy,Angel,Roswell, and One Tree Hill
Of all 5 of the shows you listed, I don't think any of them will see Bluray anytime soon though. Especially not Buffy/Angel.
Old 07-30-08, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by abaez

Any news of the x-files seasons coming to blu-ray? I've got the first 5 seasons of the show from the original run and I'd love to slim it up a bit.
X-files is one of the shows mentioned above where it was edited on tape. they'd have to go back and completely re-edit the show and do a different transfer for a Blu-ray release to be possible. I highly doubt this would happen.
Old 07-31-08, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by abaez
8 hours of programming that's as good as any movie of this genre - that's $30 well spent my friend.
Old 08-01-08, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JayDerek
X-files is one of the shows mentioned above where it was edited on tape. they'd have to go back and completely re-edit the show and do a different transfer for a Blu-ray release to be possible. I highly doubt this would happen.
Yeah, just like ST:TNG. I think those are pipe dreams. Amazon is likely just trying to get people to keep looking back, and maybe tell studios how many people sign up for the alerts.
Old 08-05-08, 10:22 AM

Just pre-ordered Prison Break Season 3 & Sarah Connor Chronicles. Luckily I saved my $50 HDDVD coupon from amazon, and I had a $25 gift certificate. Plan to pick up Firefly and Lost Season 4.

I would like to see Hustle, and Burn Notice on bluray, maybe a recent sitcom too, like Big Bang Theory or The Office.

I hesitated on pre-ordering Dexter Season 2 on dvd since its really kinda stupid that it isn't coming out on bluray....as much as I like Damages I can think of 50 shows I rather own on bluray.

Last edited by skacore; 08-05-08 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-05-08, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by skacore
I hesitated on pre-ordering Dexter Season 2 on dvd since its really kinda stupid that it isn't coming out on bluray....as much as I like Damages I can think of 50 shows I rather own on bluray.
Well, Dexter's release depends on the production company (here Clyde Phillips Productions, The Colleton Company, John Goldwyn Productions). I don't think they've done Blu-ray yet. Does suck though considering Lionsgate already has three Blu-ray seasons of Weeds. Not entirely sure of the replay value of Damages either once you know how it all happened.

Originally Posted by mdc3000
8 hours of programming that's as good as any movie of this genre - that's $30 well spent my friend.
I kinda have to agree. That was a pretty great season. Of course, I'd expect it to fall around the $15 mark less than a year after release.

Last edited by rfduncan; 08-05-08 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-05-08, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
I will agree that the pricing is crap. Firefly is $69 at Amazon for pre-orders. I bought the SD for $19.95.
Be fair. It's not like FF was always $19.
Old 08-05-08, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Superman07
Be fair. It's not like FF was always $19.
True, but I only paid $14.99 for mine new. I'm hardly going to pay $50 for the BD version. The MSRP is only part of the problem. DVD sets are frequently on sale for more than 50% off. Until we start seeing similar sales on BD sets they are not going to be very inciting to buy.
Old 08-05-08, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, just like ST:TNG. I think those are pipe dreams. Amazon is likely just trying to get people to keep looking back, and maybe tell studios how many people sign up for the alerts.
I would be shocked if these weren't already being worked on. Paramount would be leaving way too much money on the table.
Old 08-06-08, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
What we need is a complete Arrested Development set when the movie comes out (if it gets made).
Old 08-06-08, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 756 Likes on 492 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
What we need is a complete Arrested Development set when the movie comes out (if it gets made).
I couldn't agree more!
Old 08-07-08, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I would be shocked if these weren't already being worked on. Paramount would be leaving way too much money on the table.
The Star Treks will probably slowly start to come out in a couple of years. Paramount was attempting to put the original series on HD, I think as a way of testing the waters for the rest of the property. But then when HD died it went down to low on the list of Priorities. I think when Paramount starts releaseing more Blu-Ray titles they will revisit the TV Shows.

My guess is that we will be seeing the Original series first, probably around the time of the Blu-Ray release of J.J. Abram's prequel.
Old 08-07-08, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Well, Dexter's release depends on the production company (here Clyde Phillips Productions, The Colleton Company, John Goldwyn Productions). I don't think they've done Blu-ray yet. Does suck though considering Lionsgate already has three Blu-ray seasons of Weeds. Not entirely sure of the replay value of Damages either once you know how it all happened.

Regarding Damages, I guess it all depends on how much you liked it. I saw it in its entirety when it aired on FX and absolutely loved it...got in on DVD when it came out and I've watched the complete series about three times...and now that I have a Playstation 3 I'm thinking on getting the series on Blu-Ray just to see it in high def and because I know it will still have immense replay value...but then again it is my favorite TV show....so...
Old 08-07-08, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by critterdvd
The Star Treks will probably slowly start to come out in a couple of years. Paramount was attempting to put the original series on HD, I think as a way of testing the waters for the rest of the property. But then when HD died it went down to low on the list of Priorities. I think when Paramount starts releaseing more Blu-Ray titles they will revisit the TV Shows.

My guess is that we will be seeing the Original series first, probably around the time of the Blu-Ray release of J.J. Abram's prequel.

I don't know if I would really want Next Generation on Blu. Even normal dvd resolution revealed a lot of make up and uniform seams and other things that weren't meant to be seen.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.