Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

TV Shows on Blu-Ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

TV Shows on Blu-Ray

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-08, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Also, from the Discovery Channel...

-Sunrise Earth: American Sunrises
-Fearless Planet
-Planet Earth
-Discovery Atlas: Australia, China, Brazil, Italy
-Human Body: Pushing the Limits 5/5
-Build it Bigger 5/2

Also, CSI: Miami season 5 is coming this summer in the UK, not sure if it will be region free.
Old 04-16-08, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The new season of Entourage starts in September. HBO didn't start filming the series in HD until Season 3. I hope they start releasing those in BD to tie-in with the new series, but I'm sure the first BD release we get will be Season 5...in 2009.
Old 04-16-08, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am new to the CSI shows, so any of those on Blu (CSI s1, which was full frame on DVD) would be a good way to start my Blu collection.
Old 04-16-08, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Overpar
Also, from the Discovery Channel...

-Sunrise Earth: American Sunrises
-Fearless Planet
-Planet Earth
-Discovery Atlas: Australia, China, Brazil, Italy
-Human Body: Pushing the Limits 5/5
-Build it Bigger 5/2

Also, CSI: Miami season 5 is coming this summer in the UK, not sure if it will be region free.
I opted not to include the miniseries type stuff, but if people really have interest, I can add those.

I also didn't put up announced things with no dates because I have no faith in them. I'll buy Firefly in a heartbeat, but I don't think it will happen soon, even though it is announced.
Old 04-16-08, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave
I opted not to include the miniseries type stuff, but if people really have interest, I can add those.
It doesn't seem like a very comprehensive list if that is the case.
Old 04-16-08, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah, I just don't think of them really as tv. I don't know why.
Old 04-16-08, 10:08 PM

I don't even have a B-R player yet but I'm done with DVD for the most part.

The real question for me is whether they'll just release full series for shows like BUFFY and WEST WING that are already available that way on DVD, or if they'll go back to individual season sets.

I'd guess it'll be slow until there's more market saturation, but I expect SOPRANOS to be released as a full series BR box set sooner than later, and the rest of the industry to pay very close attention to how it sells.
Old 04-16-08, 10:24 PM

There is quite a bit of TV I would buy on Blu. I just have Lost: S3 & Planet Earth right now, but I will be excited to get more. The price of some of these do freak me out a bit, for instance, I love the Sopranos but I haven't bought Season 6 on Blu. It is just too expensive, especially split in two like it is. And I will be excited by the prospect of getting Band of Brothers later this year, but good god how expensive will that be. $100+
Old 04-16-08, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Originally Posted by wergo
(I'd also be VERY curious as to whether they'd release a show on HD with its original 4:3 aspect ratio, or if they'd INSIST on widescreen, much as they used to insist on pan-'n'-scan in the good ole' days.)
Star Trek OS HD DVD was 4:3, right?
Old 04-16-08, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by davidh777
Star Trek OS HD DVD was 4:3, right?
Yes.

Okay, I just got done with disc 1 of BSG Season 3. SD, upconverted, 122" projection. This is very good. By that, I mean the clarity is very, very good. On that big of a screen I can still see significant improvement with HDM, but still very good.

So I pop in Season 1 HD-DVD just to see how it is. Consider also that I don't consider Season 1 on HD-DVD to be a great PQ disc. But here is the difference. Even though it is a dark show, the color just isn't there with an upconverted disc. I didn't think it made that huge of a difference until I went back to season 1. The color is the biggest difference, and I am amazed at how flat the SD is. Sure, it's clear, but it is almost like watching it in black and white.

Lost season 3 is an obvious one where the colors are magnificent. But even this convinces me even more that these need to be on BD.
Old 04-17-08, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Geist
I don't even have a B-R player yet but I'm done with DVD for the most part.

The real question for me is whether they'll just release full series for shows like BUFFY and WEST WING that are already available that way on DVD, or if they'll go back to individual season sets.

I'd guess it'll be slow until there's more market saturation, but I expect SOPRANOS to be released as a full series BR box set sooner than later, and the rest of the industry to pay very close attention to how it sells.
I am in the same boat. I don't own a Blu player yet, but it seems silly to get certain things on DVD when I know full well they will be (and will look awesome) on Blu...like CSI. I am also all over the Sopranos and I will probably upgrade my Lost sets.

However, I still will buy DVD stuff when warranted. But for now, I am holding off, researching Blu titles and getting ready to buy the Panasonic BD50.

Lastly, I want to make mention of the various thread here...there is some very valuable information for a guy like me, who isn't tech stupid, but doesn't know the ins and outs yet. So thanks to everyone who posted that stuff and to anyone who answered my questions.
Old 04-17-08, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by macnorton
However, I still will buy DVD stuff when warranted. But for now, I am holding off, researching Blu titles and getting ready to buy the Panasonic BD50.

Lastly, I want to make mention of the various thread here...there is some very valuable information for a guy like me, who isn't tech stupid, but doesn't know the ins and outs yet. So thanks to everyone who posted that stuff and to anyone who answered my questions.
I know this sounds like crazy talk to many, but just get the PS3. The biggest complaint I had with HD-DVD is how long it took to start up. It took a long time because it wasn't a very powerful CPU. The PS3 is very powerful, and thus, much quicker. The stand alones are all slower, and yet, still more expensive.

If you just hate the thought of having a game machine, just have a BD player. That's what I do. Don't own, rent, or play games on it. But after doing all the research, it is the only BD player I would buy.
Old 04-17-08, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know this sounds like crazy talk to many, but just get the PS3. The biggest complaint I had with HD-DVD is how long it took to start up. It took a long time because it wasn't a very powerful CPU. The PS3 is very powerful, and thus, much quicker. The stand alones are all slower, and yet, still more expensive.
Don't forget self-firmware-upgradable if you have it connected to the internet!
Old 04-17-08, 01:05 PM

If you just hate the thought of having a game machine, just have a BD player. That's what I do. Don't own, rent, or play games on it. But after doing all the research, it is the only BD player I would buy.
I have been taking that into consideration. I'm on the fence. I want the Blu, but I don't get a chance to play games anymore...so that is where I justify it. But at the same time, I am all about things being cheaper. So I will have to do a little more research before I do buy anything.
Old 04-17-08, 01:40 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Let's not forget the not-yet-announced but seemingly confirmed work FOX is currently doing on a FIREFLY Blu-ray release.

Personally, I'd double-dip to get 24 on Blu-ray.

Absolutely agree on both of these. I haven't purchased S6 on DVD hoping for a Bluray release.

Firefly I will definitely double dip on.

Of the three shows I have in HD right now (Lost, Heroes, Smallville S6) they all look great.
Old 04-17-08, 02:15 PM

Add Heroes Season 1 & 2 to the mix. That is going to be an expensive day for me.
Old 04-17-08, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Vendetta-AKK
Add Heroes Season 1 & 2 to the mix. That is going to be an expensive day for me.
You have a release date?
Old 04-17-08, 02:55 PM

You have a release date?

Both on August 26, sorry I didn't include it in the original post. Thanks!
Old 04-17-08, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Both on August 26, sorry I didn't include it in the original post. Thanks!
Dude! No way! Uh-oh...
Old 04-17-08, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How definitive is that "complete series" box set for 'The Sopranos'?

I don't want to waste $200 + on the two Season 6 sets on Blu-Ray (especially after blowing almost $150 on the SD editions) if they're just gonna be duplicated before the end of the year.

I'm just broke enough that I'd like to cut my triple-dipping down to a minimum.
Old 04-17-08, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Not difinitive. Just speculation. They can't market a complete set at $1,000 and hope to sell any. It will be individual seasons until prices go WAY down.
Old 04-18-08, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by wergo
How definitive is that "complete series" box set for 'The Sopranos'?

I don't want to waste $200 + on the two Season 6 sets on Blu-Ray (especially after blowing almost $150 on the SD editions) if they're just gonna be duplicated before the end of the year.

I'm just broke enough that I'd like to cut my triple-dipping down to a minimum.
The set is a for sure. Christmas this year. Now on Blu...that is up for debate.
Old 04-22-08, 04:34 PM

I personally can't wait for the Firefly set, and Stargate Continuum was annouced on bluray!
Old 04-22-08, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
Don't forget self-firmware-upgradable if you have it connected to the internet!
And even if your PS3 isn't hooked up, it's easy to upgrade using a flash drive.
Old 04-23-08, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by skacore
I personally can't wait for the Firefly set, and Stargate Continuum was annouced on bluray!
when I read this I hoped that was the name of the entire series set, but it is a direct to video movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.