HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray: We're The 60%.

Old 04-10-08, 07:12 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 61
Blu-ray: We're The 60%.

About 60% of Americans were familiar with the format, as of January 2008,
At the time the war wasnt even declared over yet, good news Sony and BDA.
looks like Blu-ray will be our HD format for atleast the next 10 years.

http://bitstream.soundandvisionmag.c...y-have-yo.html
Shaka2K6 is offline  
Old 04-10-08, 08:07 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Drexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 15,963
The other 40% CAN find Iraq on a map.

Seriously though, all that says is that they've heard of it. 40% of Americans don't even know Blu-ray exists according to that. I guess it's a start though.
Drexl is offline  
Old 04-10-08, 08:33 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 51,896
But how many can spell it.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 04-10-08, 09:07 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bluetoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,469
That makes me wonder...are we still considered early adopters, or was there a cut-off time for that?
bluetoast is offline  
Old 04-10-08, 09:20 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 30,342


Yeah, 60% may know what Blu-ray is, but 59.5% of that 60% could care less about buying a player or movies at this time. If they did, players would be selling like hot cakes (Please, no anecdotal stories about how Best Buy is always sold out) and new quality (i.e. good films that should interest people) catalog titles would be selling more then 3-4k on its release week.

I'm sure some people will take offense with that bla bla bla...but fact is, Blu-ray is on track (15 Million this year in sales) to hopefully sell a little less then 1% of what DVD will do this year. Keep in mind, HDM (both Blu-ray and HD DVD combined) last year sold 0.58% of what DVD did. Lets be generous and say Blu-ray did .40% of that...that would mean an increase of 2.5x this year alone in sales. Thats A LOT and being rather generous.
Gizmo is offline  
Old 04-10-08, 09:31 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 51,896
This is just my own personal story. I stopped by a CC today, looking for a possible 75% off HD DVD bin with a few titles I could add to my collection. Well, I hop, skip, and jump over to the HD section (i.e., High-Def) and a nice young lad was dusting the now double-sized Blu-ray section of HD titles. I couldn't help but think this was odd.
"No, all our HD DVDs are gone. Sorry." He said. Dust, dust, dust. Pick nose. Dust, dust, dust.
"Uhh. Alrighty. Thanks."
Dust, dust. Dust.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 04-10-08, 09:35 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,326
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD


Yeah, 60% may know what Blu-ray is, but 59.5% of that 60% could care less about buying a player or movies at this time. If they did, players would be selling like hot cakes (Please, no anecdotal stories about how Best Buy is always sold out) and new quality (i.e. good films that should interest people) catalog titles would be selling more then 3-4k on its release week.

I'm sure some people will take offense with that bla bla bla...but fact is, Blu-ray is on track (15 Million this year in sales) to hopefully sell a little less then 1% of what DVD will do this year. Keep in mind, HDM (both Blu-ray and HD DVD combined) last year sold 0.58% of what DVD did. Lets be generous and say Blu-ray did .40% of that...that would mean an increase of 2.5x this year alone in sales. Thats A LOT and being rather generous.
That is a solid point. If anyone takes offense to that (and I am sure some will), I think it has less to do with you being right and more to do with the fact that you are ALWAYS the first person to pounce on certain types of posts and play devil's advocate. Maybe if you would ever just sit one out and let it go, people wouldn't take offense.
SexualPudding is offline  
Old 04-10-08, 09:41 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 30,342
Originally Posted by SexualPudding
That is a solid point. If anyone takes offense to that (and I am sure some will), I think it has less to do with you being right and more to do with the fact that you are ALWAYS the first person to pounce on certain types of posts and play devil's advocate. Maybe if you would ever just sit one out and let it go, people wouldn't take offense.
I'm all for Blu-ray, regardless of what people think of my motives. I own close to 90 Blu-rays now and have many on Pre-order through Amazon. I want Blu-ray to succeed just as much as the next guy now that HD DVD is dead and gone.
Gizmo is offline  
Old 04-10-08, 09:42 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,326
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I'm all for Blu-ray, regardless of what people think of my motives. I own close to 90 Blu-rays now and have many on Pre-order through Amazon. I want Blu-ray to succeed just as much as the next guy now that HD DVD is dead and gone.
That's cool. I'm not really questioning your motives so much as making an observation about you always being first to pounce on something. I certainly don't take offense to your posts and I agree with much of what you say anyway.
SexualPudding is offline  
Old 04-10-08, 10:29 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 30,022
It's not pouncing...it's fact. Until normal people actually purchase players and the movies to go along with them INSTEAD of DVD, these little percentage blips here and there aren't even worth discussing.
Draven is offline  
Old 04-10-08, 10:35 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,326
Originally Posted by Draven
It's not pouncing...it's fact. Until normal people actually purchase players and the movies to go along with them INSTEAD of DVD, these little percentage blips here and there aren't even worth discussing.
Yea...thanks for the heads up. I suppose you'd be the one who would come rushing to the scene of a burning building with everyone already standing around watching and yell "FIRE!"

If you would actually bother to read what I posted, you would see where I said, in both posts mind you, that I agreed with what he said. What I said had to do with all of his posts, not this one in particular. I'm more than over it, though, so let's just get back to the topic at hand.
SexualPudding is offline  
Old 04-10-08, 10:48 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bunkaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago West Suburbs
Posts: 15,450
Originally Posted by SexualPudding
Yea...thanks for the heads up. I suppose you'd be the one who would come rushing to the scene of a burning building with everyone already standing around watching and yell "FIRE!"

If you would actually bother to read what I posted, you would see where I said, in both posts mind you, that I agreed with what he said. What I said had to do with all of his posts, not this one in particular. I'm more than over it, though, so let's just get back to the topic at hand.
Thanks for your last couple of posts. They should serve as a reminder to all of us that credibility and impartiality are not a given with posters, but rather a trait that can be gained or lost by one's words.
bunkaroo is offline  
Old 04-10-08, 11:19 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,326
Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Thanks for your last couple of posts. They should serve as a reminder to all of us that credibility and impartiality are not a given with posters, but rather a trait that can be gained or lost by one's words.
Not a word of anything I said has to do with credibility or "impartiability" in any way, shape, or form, but hey, knock your socks off.
SexualPudding is offline  
Old 04-10-08, 11:27 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bunkaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago West Suburbs
Posts: 15,450
Originally Posted by SexualPudding
Not a word of anything I said has to do with credibility or "impartiability" in any way, shape, or form, but hey, knock your socks off.
Well in a way it does. What you seemed to say was you agreed with a post, but thought the post would not be taken at face value due to other posts made by said poster.

To me, that says we should all realize that what we post here, and how we post, follows us around for a long while. Just visit the Other forum if you doubt it.

It's going to be hard for any hardcore HD DVD or Blu-Ray backers to prove their impartiality after the past year or two IMO.

And I'm not wearing socks at the moment.
bunkaroo is offline  
Old 04-10-08, 11:30 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,326
Hmm.. I appear to have completely misunderstood the gist of your post. Sorry-it's been a pretty long day for me.

Good luck finding some socks
SexualPudding is offline  
Old 04-10-08, 11:35 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bunkaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago West Suburbs
Posts: 15,450
Originally Posted by SexualPudding
Hmm.. I appear to have completely misunderstood the gist of your post. Sorry-it's been a pretty long day for me.

Good luck finding some socks
No apologies necessary. I'm the one with smelly feet...erm....end of post.
bunkaroo is offline  
Old 04-11-08, 08:52 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 9,862
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
This is just my own personal story. I stopped by a CC today, looking for a possible 75% off HD DVD bin with a few titles I could add to my collection. Well, I hop, skip, and jump over to the HD section (i.e., High-Def) and a nice young lad was dusting the now double-sized Blu-ray section of HD titles. I couldn't help but think this was odd.
"No, all our HD DVDs are gone. Sorry." He said. Dust, dust, dust. Pick nose. Dust, dust, dust.
"Uhh. Alrighty. Thanks."
Dust, dust. Dust.
WTF? Are you in the right thread?
rfduncan is offline  
Old 04-11-08, 01:04 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Posts: 4,813
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Yeah, 60% may know what Blu-ray is, but 59.5% of that 60% could care less about buying a player or movies at this time.
That %0.5 that actually bought a BD player, which was most likely a PS3, doesn't mean they're actually buying Blu-ray discs. They're either renting most of the BDs they see, and only buy the odd titles here and there.

I only have one friend that actually has a PS3, and although he likes the quality of Blu-ray; he hasn't bought a single disc. He's had the PS3 since Christmas. He's rented all the titles he's seen on Blu-ray and I've brought over one so we could watch together. He has a HDTV, BTW.

I hope Blu-ray eventually becomes the next DVD, but it's going to be a tough road.
nateman is offline  
Old 04-11-08, 01:51 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,200
I know what strawberry douche is, I still have no interest in it.

Recognition for something that has tried to be so high profile, spent so much money, etc. is pretty poor.
kvrdave is offline  
Old 04-11-08, 02:55 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
GreenMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 5,281
Originally Posted by bunkaroo

It's going to be hard for any hardcore HD DVD or Blu-Ray backers to prove their impartiality after the past year or two IMO.

And I'm not wearing socks at the moment.
I don't quite understand what this impartial thing is about. There's only one format now. Unless you want to count HD downloads which don't really exist yet. Who would we be being biased in favor of?

What I think people don't understand is, we'd be saying the same thing about HD-DVD if it had won. I guess in that bizarro-alternate world we would be biased against HD-DVD
GreenMonkey is offline  
Old 04-11-08, 03:25 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Drexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 15,963
I wonder just what the "awareness" of BD is in the report. Is it people who know what the product is and does, or just those who have heard the name and may not know what it means?
Drexl is offline  
Old 04-11-08, 03:29 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bunkaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago West Suburbs
Posts: 15,450
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
I don't quite understand what this impartial thing is about. There's only one format now. Unless you want to count HD downloads which don't really exist yet. Who would we be being biased in favor of?
Doesn't matter that one format met its demise - the biases developed during the format war are still present in every thread I read about Blu-Ray.

Have Patriots fans suddenly forgotten about losing the Super Bowl?

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey

What I think people don't understand is, we'd be saying the same thing about HD-DVD if it had won. I guess in that bizarro-alternate world we would be biased against HD-DVD
That might be true for you, but certainly not for all.
bunkaroo is offline  
Old 04-11-08, 10:24 PM
  #23  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 61
Originally Posted by Drexl
The other 40% CAN find Iraq on a map.

Seriously though, all that says is that they've heard of it. 40% of Americans don't even know Blu-ray exists according to that. I guess it's a start though.
The only people that should care about Blu-ray are the ones that arent poor and can afford the best, mainly the people that own HD tvs.
Shaka2K6 is offline  
Old 04-11-08, 10:38 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 51,896
Originally Posted by rfduncan
WTF? Are you in the right thread?
I guess not. I'm looking for the How To Dust Your Retail HD Stock And Make It Appear New And Exciting For Your Customer thread.

Helpz me? Pleez?
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 04-11-08, 11:22 PM
  #25  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 61
Blu-ray Awareness Up; HD Players Hit 10M.

A majority of U.S. households now know what a Blu-ray Disc is, while the number of households with a high-definition disc player has crossed the 10 million threshold
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/ind...2&newsid=12438

More and more good news for Blu-ray, kinda expected though since we all know Blu-ray is the next dvd, dvd is quickly dying faster then vhs.
Shaka2K6 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.