Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Advice on buying HD/BD in Hong Kong?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-08, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a trip to Hong Kong soon, and was wondering if anyone has any advice on buying HD DVDs and Blu-rays there.

One of my main questions was whether I would be able to find Region A and Region-Free Blu-rays there. I know Japan is Region A, like North America, but would stores in HK carry Blu-Rays for the Japanese market?

And what titles (on both HD and Blu) should I keep an eye out for while I am there? I.e., titles that are not available on one or both formats here? e.g., Equlibrium, The Island, Ghost in the Shell, etc...

I was planning to do some shopping at the Hong Kong HMVs, but maybe some of you know other shops I should check out as well? Where should I go for best selection?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I thought about posting this in the International forum, but it was a toss-up, since this is HD/Blu related ...
Old 04-07-08, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yavin,

I'm not too familiar with the American film titles available in Blu ray/HD-DVD in Asia, but you can certainly check YesAsia for that. What I did notice though is that most of these American titles in Blu ray are available in Japan, not HK.

I just got back fm HK myself and went to some local video stores there (forget HMV as they are pricier than the local shops). There are some Asian film titles already available in Blu ray such as Flashpoint, Infernal Affairs etc. A handy guide would be this link: http://www.asianblurayguide.com/

If you are to notice, most HK titles in Blu ray are Region Free.

Hope this helps...
Old 04-07-08, 12:01 PM

To my knowledge All Hong Kong Blu-Ray releases have been Region Free but if they were region coded they would be Region A just like the U.S.

Cardiac what are the in store prices like there? Better then what you could find online?

Last edited by Cadrian; 04-07-08 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-07-08, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't get to look around HK much - airport is awesome

However over the border in Shenzhen I found it quite humorous that the bootleggers were putting "normal" bootleg DVDs in HD DVD and Blu Ray packaging. Well I use the word packaging loosely. They aren't cases, just cardboard sleeves with the red and blu designs on them. I have a couple of pics buried in my myspace link below. Too lazy to link now. Have fun!
Old 04-07-08, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey Cadrian,

I can only compare prices with YesAsia as it is the only online store I order from. And since YesAsia can cost a little bit more than other online stores, I can't verify if prices are better.

Nevertheless, I find that once I'm in HK and see the dvd I want, I buy it right away as it is cheaper than getting it fm YesAsia (couple of dollars less plus no S&H cost).

Getting Blu ray films in Tokyo is a different matter. Prices are the same whether you are getting it from either HMV, Tsutaya or some store in Akihabara...extremely pricey!!! Sometimes I find it's better to get them via Amazon.jp.

Eventhough Bluray is picking up there, most people still rent or get a used copy from Tsutaya (and it's still freakin' expensive!!!).
Old 04-07-08, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd love to pick up Blu-ray copies of Ghost in the Shell and Ghost in the Shell: Innocence, but I really hope that the prices aren't nearly as high as what I find on YesAsia. I'll try to find some good prices on Ronin and The Island Blu-rays as well.

Also, while browsing HMV's HK site, I find that they still have listings for There Will Be Blood and Sweeney Todd HD DVDs ... I'll keep an eye out ... not sure if they were ever released overseas or not.
Old 04-07-08, 02:51 PM

In HK, you can find basically DVDs from everywhere in the world. I don't know why BDs would be the same. HK DVDs are relatively cheap, but if you want, say, an R2 French DVD, you'll have to pay for it.

If you're looking for Japanese BDs in HK, you'll probably find them, but they'll be pricey. As long as you're willing to pay for it, you'll probably find it.
Old 04-07-08, 03:46 PM

I think blu-ray still a rather small market in HK. As Cardiac pointed out, there are only a few Hong Kong movies released on blu. They are charged at premium price, so don't expect the same price-level as other HK released SD-DVD.

The titles you mentioned, Ghost in the shell and Equlibrium are released in Japan, not Hong Kong. Even thought it is possible you may find them in HK, since they are "imported"to HK, it is unlikely they will be cheaper, specially HMV. HMV will be a good place to shop if you have limited time, as they carry big selection, but many products are charged at full retail price.

If you have time and being advanturous, go to those small shops in Mongkok area. Those places usually have best prices.

good luck!
Old 04-07-08, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Yavin
I'd love to pick up Blu-ray copies of Ghost in the Shell and Ghost in the Shell: Innocence, but I really hope that the prices aren't nearly as high as what I find on YesAsia.
As tsetse27 mentioned, those are both Japanese releases. HMV Japan ships worldwide and has them for a bit cheaper than YesAsia, but they're still expensive.