HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

'The Pixar Story' on StarzHD

Old 04-02-08, 10:26 AM

'The Pixar Story' on StarzHD

This documentary film actually saw very limited theatrical release last year and has yet to be announced for release to home video, but for those who get Starz, the film (which was actually produced by Starz) will be broadcast on the following dates, a followup 15 minute 2008 featurette 'The Pixar Story Continues' is shown after the feature, that includes scenes from 'Ratatouille' and this summer's release of Pixar's latest 'Wall-E'

4/22: 10:00pm

4/23: 12:50pm

4/30: 11:20am
Old 04-02-08, 11:43 AM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Never heard of it, but it sounds interesting. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 04-02-08, 12:09 PM

here's imdb's listing

The Pixar Story
Old 04-02-08, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It played here in my hometown a few weeks back during the Cleveland International Film Festival. I didn't go because I figured it be on a DVD if it already wasn't. Thanks for the heads up on its cable premiere. I"ll catch it then. (I believed I skipped it so I could attend a screening for a horror comedy from Denmark called "The Substitute." Great flick!)
Old 04-02-08, 06:01 PM

Since John Lasseter is our creative lead now, we saw this about a month ago at WDI. It was an interesting documentary, though I don't believe we saw it in HD. It was shown on a large screen to hundreds of employees.

Chris
Old 04-21-08, 02:50 PM

^bump
Old 04-21-08, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Already got it set to DVR in HD...looking forward to watching it.
Old 04-24-08, 09:50 AM

I quite enjoyed this documentary film, I never knew that Pete Docter had such little credits prior to his directorial debut with "Monsters Inc."

As for hidef imagery of all the Pixar films - wow... I so want 'em on bluray.

It was interesting to note that this film was directed by Leslie Iwerks (granddaughter to legendary early Disney collaborator Ub Iwerks)

side note: the companion featurette 'Pixar Story Continues' reveals a fair amount of plot for 'Wall-E' and is shamelessly NOT in HiDef - way to go Starz
Old 04-24-08, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Seems like it's too close for it to happen, but I hope Disney releases all the other Pixars on Blu for Wall-E's release except Toy Story which I figure they will hold back until Toy Story 3...maybe. I guess I thought TS3 was 2009...
Old 04-24-08, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Seems like it's too close for it to happen, but I hope Disney releases all the other Pixars on Blu for Wall-E's release
I think we'll probably get one or two a year, but for what it's worth, when I was at Pixar for the Ratatouille DVD/Blu-ray press event, I was told that all of Pixar's past movies were being tweaked with a Blu-ray release in mind. (A Bug's Life was getting a spit-and-polish at the time.)
Old 04-24-08, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, wasn't Finding Nemo just bumped until next year? I want them to look their best but, damn, I want them all, now.

I wish there was another way to see A Pixar Story. I would love to see it.
Old 04-25-08, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by dcprules
Already got it set to DVR in HD...looking forward to watching it.
I'm going to do the same - A big thanks for OP of this thread.
Old 04-25-08, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Seems like it's too close for it to happen, but I hope Disney releases all the other Pixars on Blu for Wall-E's release except Toy Story which I figure they will hold back until Toy Story 3...maybe. I guess I thought TS3 was 2009...
I would assume the Toy Story films (1 and 2) wont see bluray release until after their 3D versions hit the screen next Spring.

even though the computer graphics for 'TRON' are comparitivly old school, the brief segments seen in the documentary had me drooling - an eventual bluray mastered from the original 65mm film source - ew... bring that on!!!

side comment: my DVR only recorded the movie, with is just under 90min, if you can set your DVR to do the whole two hour time slot, you can get the featurette that precedes the feature, just a fyi, if your DVR is set up that way.
Old 04-27-08, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Caught the Pixar Story, but missed the Wall E preview somehow, so I guess I'll try to record it again on the 30th. Excellent flick.

If anyone is interested in a more detail history of Pixar, check out "To Infinity and Beyond" by Karen Paik. It's based on interviews by Leslie Iwerks. Excellent book and beautifully illustrated.