Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

ID4 Blu-ray isn't the longer cut? Wonderful.

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

ID4 Blu-ray isn't the longer cut? Wonderful.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-08, 03:56 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bunkaroo
WARNING - personal anecdote:

I've ordered at least 200 HDM discs from Amazon since 2006. Even with their questionable shipping practices (boxes too big, loose in the box, etc.), I have had maybe 4-5 floaters (this can easily happen in store as well), and I've had 1-2 cracked cases.

I'd wager I've saved well over $1000 by shopping online for my collection.

I will also add that not one of my floaters would not play. They all played perfectly.
Old 03-19-08, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I buy HD movie for the PQ and AQ of the main film. If it's a catalog release that I want to upgrade, I think it's safe to say that I've watched the extras as many times as I want. Why you would want to watch behind the scenes footage of whatever movie for the 6th time is beyond me.

Sure, it would be nice to have the all. But, I really don't care, if the quality of the main feature is great.
Old 03-19-08, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by thecrackedjack2
I buy HD movie for the PQ and AQ of the main film. If it's a catalog release that I want to upgrade, I think it's safe to say that I've watched the extras as many times as I want. Why you would want to watch behind the scenes footage of whatever movie for the 6th time is beyond me.

Sure, it would be nice to have the all. But, I really don't care, if the quality of the main feature is great.
That's certainly true, if you have the SE DVD in the first place. Some of us don't actually have every catalog title we ever wanted on DVD, and the most fully-featured editions of each.
Old 03-20-08, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not as concerned with the extras as I am with the cut of the film. There are certain extended or unrated cuts that really improve the movie IMO. R rated Die Hard 4 and Pearl Harbor are 2 examples. Plus I see my deluxe 4 disc super mega 5 star edition worth about 50¢ so the upgrade cost is all mine.
Old 03-20-08, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
WARNING - personal anecdote:

I've ordered at least 200 HDM discs from Amazon since 2006. Even with their questionable shipping practices (boxes too big, loose in the box, etc.), I have had maybe 4-5 floaters (this can easily happen in store as well), and I've had 1-2 cracked cases.

I'd wager I've saved well over $1000 by shopping online for my collection.
Not to mention that the "instant gratification" argument is out the window, IMO, as all of the new releases I preorr arrive on Tuesdays.
Old 03-21-08, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Haven't looked through the entire thread but is there a Fox email address I can write to? Pricing and lack of extras is getting ridiculous.
Old 03-21-08, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by abrg923
Not to mention that the "instant gratification" argument is out the window, IMO, as all of the new releases I preorr arrive on Tuesdays.
I get mine on Wednesday typically, but an extra day wait is still very reasonable for the money saved. I don't usually get to see this stuff until the weekend anyway.

I used to have a connection where I got all new releases the previous Friday to release, so that was worth a little extra to me.
Old 03-21-08, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rexinnih
Haven't looked through the entire thread but is there a Fox email address I can write to? Pricing and lack of extras is getting ridiculous.

[email protected]
Old 03-21-08, 07:04 PM

Great, glad I decided not to get this anyway. Sigh, another reason I liked HD DVDs better, too many BDs are crap.
Old 03-21-08, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Bitgod
Great, glad I decided not to get this anyway. Sigh, another reason I liked HD DVDs better, too many BDs are crap.
Don't blame BD; blame Fox. It's not like ID4 would have had more extras and a longer cut if it came out on HD DVD.
Old 03-21-08, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bitgod
Get over it already.
Old 03-21-08, 09:05 PM
Suspended

ID4 Blu-ray looks and sounds amazing. There is really nothing else to it. I am very happy to have this disc in my collection.
Old 04-17-09, 10:52 AM

Re: ID4 Blu-ray isn't the longer cut? Wonderful.

Is there any chance the extended will be released someday or should I get this on the Amazon B2G1 deal?
Old 04-17-09, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just got the existing disc on sale. I would have liked to have the fully loaded SE but for the price it was well worth the purchase. Great sound and PQ.
Old 04-17-09, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

All the extras are SD anyway, and wouldn't have benefited from being on a BD (too many to fit on the existing BD, none of them HD to pointless to put on a second BD)

I just put the second disc of the DVD in with the BD and even made some custom art for it. Now if I had ink to print it out....
Old 04-17-09, 11:24 AM

I'm guilty.
I liked ID4 and own the BD.

. . . but I did think the extended version dragged a bit.

I'd still probably buy a re-release if it had all the stuff from the 5-Star Collection on it.

That being said, if Fox put out the theatrical cut of The Abyss without including the extended cut - I'd go nuclear. So I can understand why ID4 fans are feeling slighted at the bare bones edition.

There just doesn't seem to be much excuse for Fox not including both cuts and the extras. It seems like alot of other companies really step up to the plate and deliver their products on all sides while keeping a managable retail price.
Old 04-17-09, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
All the extras are SD anyway, and wouldn't have benefited from being on a BD (too many to fit on the existing BD, none of them HD to pointless to put on a second BD)

I just put the second disc of the DVD in with the BD and even made some custom art for it. Now if I had ink to print it out....

I was referring to the extra footage.
Old 04-17-09, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The extra scenes are good, except for just about all of the Russell Casse family scenes. Those scenes aren't very good because:

-James Duval comes across as a guy acting in a school play trying to do a public service announcement. Just plain bad acting.

-Russell has too many shifts to his personality, from drunk to determined sober father to drunk again.

-The scene where Alicia is with "My So-Called Life"'s Brian Krakow just stops the film dead during the final battle sequence.

Remove their stuff and the extended scenes are just fine.

The Levinson father/son stuff where Julius is marveling about being in the Oval Office is good, but because it was just stuck in there almost randomly (notice how the music just cuts off, then continues during the rest of the sequence) it ruins the flow of that scene.
Old 04-20-09, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd like this on BD, but I won't buy it until they give it a proper release with all the 5 Star Collection features.
Old 04-20-09, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I'd like this on BD, but I won't buy it until they give it a proper release with all the 5 Star Collection features.
The Five Star isn't worth much for sale or trade. Why not just keep that for the extras and pick up the BD version for the movie. I hesitated my self, but when I came across a used copy I picked it up and couldn't believe how much better it was. Far, far superior.
Old 04-20-09, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
The Five Star isn't worth much for sale or trade. Why not just keep that for the extras and pick up the BD version for the movie. I hesitated my self, but when I came across a used copy I picked it up and couldn't believe how much better it was. Far, far superior.
Well, again, the problem some people have with this is that it doesn't contain the extended cut.

You might as well tell them to buy the upcoming LOTR set and then the EE DVDs (okay, all DVD versions) for the extras.
Old 04-20-09, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^ Exactly. If the BD was extended, I'd bite. Same with LotR. I'm in no rush to re-buy the theatrical cuts.
Old 04-20-09, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been meaning to get this but haven't gotten around to it - Future Shop in Canada has it for $19.99 and are giving a ticket to see Wolverine with it - SOLD.
Old 04-20-09, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just have a general rule right now not to buy MOST of these lame releases missing the extras or without extended or unrated cuts.

If I buy this, then why not Mr. and Mrs. Smith and Live Free Die Hard or Memento with a bad transfer san extras, etc?

Just won't do it. I've got plenty of BDs and plenty more coming every week.

When they're ready to give us a proper release, I'll be happy to spend more of my money.

I have maybe a few exceptions for movies that I consider favorites, like Cast Away and Man on Fire, that have no extras ported over, but I would NOT have made those purchases, which could lead me towards a double dip down the road, if the reviews of the transfer and sound hadn't been very good.
Old 04-20-09, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

^^^Good post. I agree. Which is why I'm refusing to buy any Die Hard movies on Blu or ID4, or anything else where the Director's Cut has been released. Of course, even then, you're screwed. Case in point...Kingdom Of Heaven. Needs a new transfer, IMO. Glad I got it for cheap. And I don't think there's a better bitrate available overseas.

On a twist, it would be nice if we had Payback in the ORIGINAL version.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.