Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone having a problem with the Bee Movie (SD) and the Toshiba A3/D3?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-08, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rented the Bee Movie (yes, unfortunately in SD) for the kids and it won't play in my D3 (the rebadged A3). It starts playing and then I get the "cannot play" error.

I think I was the first one renting it as the disc looks brand new and plays just fine in all of my other players.
Old 03-12-08, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

have you upgraded the firmware on your A3?
Old 03-12-08, 01:27 PM

I currently have the 1.3 firmware and did not want to update due to issues I've read about the latest firmware. It sounded like a lot of people over on AVS went back to 1.3 so I didn't bother to update mine.
Old 03-12-08, 04:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sbelli
I currently have the 1.3 firmware and did not want to update due to issues I've read about the latest firmware. It sounded like a lot of people over on AVS went back to 1.3 so I didn't bother to update mine.

Supposedly once you update a player, it will not take a previous/lesser update?
Old 03-12-08, 04:13 PM

^^ I understand there is some modified version of the 1.3 firmware that can be download, burned to a disk and it will still "update" over the newer 1.4 firmware.
Old 03-12-08, 07:09 PM

Wow, that's the first time I heard of any issues with a SD disc... Maybe Toshiba is reverting to form, circa 1998.

fitprod
Old 03-12-08, 09:44 PM

Strangely, I got it to work. But only after "fooling" it into starting at a different place on the disc. I tried using the time search function to go to Title 10, chapter 1 and it still didn't work - getting the "cannot play" error. Tried it again and saw that it was taking a while again, so I pressed stop. It gave me the "press play to resume" message. So I pressed play and, bam, it actually came up with the movie.

Could have just used another DVD player, but it was annoying me that it didn't work.
Old 03-12-08, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by sbelli
Strangely, I got it to work. But only after "fooling" it into starting at a different place on the disc. I tried using the time search function to go to Title 10, chapter 1 and it still didn't work - getting the "cannot play" error. Tried it again and saw that it was taking a while again, so I pressed stop. It gave me the "press play to resume" message. So I pressed play and, bam, it actually came up with the movie.

Could have just used another DVD player, but it was annoying me that it didn't work.
Sound like a possible authoring mistake that is not going through the correct sequence of play. Does Bee Movie have any Interactual web stuff on it? If so that may be killing it at start up. That is usually checked first in most players... And, if the disc does not detect the correct directions/GPRM's, it's like beaming Spock into a wall.

fitprod
Old 03-15-08, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Just played it last night in mine, no problem at all...
Old 03-19-08, 09:26 AM

I have an old Pioneer DVD player and have never had any problems with new DVDs. I got Bee Movie from Netflix as soon as it was released and it keep stopping every few seconds into the movie. I finally gave up. I looked at the DVD and it looked fine (no cracks) so I requested a new one from Netflix.

Same problem! Popped it into my MacBook and it played fine. Ended up using my 40" Sony TV as a monitor to watch the movie. Continued to play fine.

I wonder if they used any new encoding technique.
Old 03-19-08, 09:27 AM

I have an old Pioneer DVD player and have never had any problems with new DVDs. I got Bee Movie from Netflix as soon as it was released and it keep stopping every few seconds into the movie. I finally gave up. I looked at the DVD and it looked fine (no cracks) so I requested a new one from Netflix.

Same problem! Popped it into my MacBook and it played fine. Ended up using my 40" Sony TV as a monitor to watch the movie. Continued to play fine.

Seems like a strange problem. I wonder if they used any new encoding technique.
Old 07-29-08, 01:39 PM

Yes! I have the SAME problem with my old Pioneer DV-434 dvd player. I've rented "Bee movie" 3 times from Netflix, and after the 3rd one didn't work, I tried a brand-new copy and it still pauses every 5 seconds and have to manually forward it to play again, which it does for about 5 seconds, then pauses again. It must be some wierd new encoding which is incompatible with my player. Oh well, guess we'll have to watch this one on our computer.... sigh...