DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   The Official HD DVD Clearance Sale Thread Part 2 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/527181-official-hd-dvd-clearance-sale-thread-part-2-a.html)

oppie1 03-12-08 05:19 AM

The Official HD DVD Clearance Sale Thread Part 2

since the other thread was closed for length, lets resume the chat here..

(always wanted to make a new thread that i knew would end up to be a very active one :) )

speedyray 03-12-08 06:33 AM

Not a huge deal, but most of the Magnolia titles have dropped to about 50% off at amzon - titles like The Host and World's Fastest Indian.

Bill Geiger 03-12-08 07:56 AM

Fletch HD is $12.20 at Deepdiscount

Abe. 03-12-08 08:44 AM

The Blade Runner set got cheaper.

neiname 03-12-08 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Abe.
The Blade Runner set got cheaper.

Damn, I thought it got cheaper from the $23.95 I ordered it for last week.

TheNightFlier 03-12-08 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Geiger
Fletch HD is $12.20 at Deepdiscount

Can't resist for $12.20.

Canis Firebrand 03-12-08 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by neiname
Damn, I thought it got cheaper from the $23.95 I ordered it for last week.

Not much cheaper, but I did see that it was $22.20 or something like that at DeepDiscountDVD.

neiname 03-12-08 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Vryce
Not much cheaper, but I did see that it was $22.20 or something like that at DeepDiscountDVD.

Borders gift card leaned me towards Amazon plus prospect of it dropping the next month, thanks though.

E Unit 03-12-08 10:16 AM

i went to Wal-Mart last night and they had some for $17.00, sticker price. I got The Kingdom and Elizabeth The Golden Age. They rang up as $15.00. Seems pretty inconsistant since I went to another Wal-Mart to see if they had some others cheap and the same two titles were $29.99. So it's hit or miss at this point.

sbelli 03-12-08 10:45 AM

My EzyDVD order of Terminator 2 shipped yesterday. Anxious to get it. Has anyone gotten the Austrailian release of T2? I can't seem to find any reviews of its quality. I understand that it's basically the director's cut with no extras.

movieking 03-12-08 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by speedyray
Not a huge deal, but most of the Magnolia titles have dropped to about 50% off at amzon - titles like The Host and World's Fastest Indian.

Really liked World's Fastest Indian....might have to pick it up. Another title to add to my want list.

BuckNaked2k 03-12-08 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by movieking
Really liked World's Fastest Indian....might have to pick it up. Another title to add to my want list.

Great movie, but I believe there were some framing issues with the US release.

marginal 03-12-08 11:42 AM

Why on earth does District B13 cost more on HD DVD than it does on Blu-Ray? Been waiting for that one to drop...

marginal 03-12-08 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k

I believe it was a director-supervised opening up of the matte... the reviews I've seen have been positive. I watched the theatrical aspect version on broadcast HD, and it was the best-looking broadcast HD film I've ever seen.

ScissorPuppy 03-12-08 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k

Depends on what an "Issue" is. It's not the theater aspect ratio, but the director did approve to "open up" the image to 1.78:1. I can't recall the directors name at the moment, but some of his previous films films were put on dvd this way.

So the dvd/HDdvd are not OAR, but they are the directors intended home viewing ratio.

EDIT: Whoops, looks like someone beat me to it.

JimRochester 03-12-08 12:00 PM

Just got back from Best Buy. The HDDVD's are on a rolling cart near the front and have been picked over pretty thoroughly. Not much worth getting. I did pick up Spartacus and Meet the Fockers for $10.49 each. I had a couple burned copies so this was worth upgrading for $22. I grabbed the last copy of each. No problem with the price match.

sbelli 03-12-08 12:36 PM

My Wal-Mart in Greenville, SC reduced some of their HD DVDs (unusual because this WM usually sucks at clearances I hear going on at other stores), but most are gone. American Gangster, Bourne Ultimatium, I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry and a few others were $17.00 but are gone. Elizabeth: The Golden Age was still there -- also at $17.00.

Mopower 03-12-08 12:40 PM

Half.com is where it's at. I've scored 15 HD DVD's the past two weeks for under $10 a piece. Half of which were still sealed. Not brand new releases mind you but I'll be able to get those titles in a few months for good prices.

neiname 03-12-08 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mopower
Half.com is where it's at. I've scored 15 HD DVD's the past two weeks for under $10 a piece. Half of which were still sealed. Not brand new releases mind you but I'll be able to get those titles in a few months for good prices.

Is that with the $2.50 shipping?

Ianscloset 03-12-08 01:13 PM

DanDaMan069 - "..So, you just have to get lucky and have a store with cool managers and sales clerks.."

DVDPolizei - "Kinda like finding a woman with three tit and four vaginas, but I agree"

I feel the same way... except my gf was my cashier and her manager is a friend of mine :)

Mopower 03-12-08 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by neiname
Is that with the $2.50 shipping?

No. So more like $11 or $12 a disc. Still beats driving around all over finding deals. If you buy from the same seller though shipping is discounted.

maxfisher 03-12-08 01:30 PM

Since we're mentioning things like Half.com, I'll throw out that Craig's List isn't a bad place to poke around as well. Just today, I met up with a guy and bought 13 HD DVDs for $100. They all look like they're fresh out of their shrink wrap and he said he'd only watched each of them once. I got:

Harry Potter 1-4
Bourne 2 & 3
Superman 1 & 2
The Fugitive
Blood Diamond
The Perfect Storm
Top Gun

Beats the hell out of most of the lots I've seen on ebay.

DJ_Longfellow 03-12-08 01:42 PM

Where is the cheapest place to get hardware these days? I am looking into a new TV for my bedroom and a nice upconverting DVD player would help. If yousearch on Best Buy they advertise Toshiba A3 as Upconverting DVD player with HD-DVD playback :)

Josh Z 03-12-08 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy
Depends on what an "Issue" is. It's not the theater aspect ratio, but the director did approve to "open up" the image to 1.78:1. I can't recall the directors name at the moment, but some of his previous films films were put on dvd this way.

The director is Roger Donaldson. He also had the mattes lifted for the DVD release of The Recruit.

kenbuzz 03-12-08 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Where is the cheapest place to get hardware these days? I am looking into a new TV for my bedroom and a nice upconverting DVD player would help. If yousearch on Best Buy they advertise Toshiba A3 as Upconverting DVD player with HD-DVD playback :)

WalMart has been running an unadvertised clearance sale on their HD-DVD players for a couple of weeks now. When I got mine 2 weeks ago, it was the last one they had in stock here locally and I paid $74. Others had reported seeing them for around $69. If there are still any to be had, the prices might even be lower by now.

Edited to Add: TigerDirect and CompUSA both have the A3 on their site for $79.99 + s/h (including 2 movies).