HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Hitman (Blu-ray) Unrated

Old 03-09-08, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hitman (Blu-ray) Unrated

I don't know how many are interested in picking this up on Tuesday. But I thought this was an interesting comparison of the unrated vs. rated versions. At least Fox got it right this time while providing the unrated version on Blu-ray.

Unrated vs Theatrical
Old 03-09-08, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Wow. That's a ton of blood/gore cut out of the theatrical release.
Old 03-09-08, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Reading some of those comments I'm not sure if they were written in English or have been transated by some automated translator. Some of the comments made no sense but were damn funny. One said something like "I like me in the dvd."
Old 03-09-08, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Reading some of those comments I'm not sure if they were written in English or have been transated by some automated translator. Some of the comments made no sense but were damn funny. One said something like "I like me in the dvd."
Take a look at the URL.
Old 03-09-08, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wewantflair
Take a look at the URL.
Yeah I know but the comments are still funny how they are translated. I wonder if the translator was programmed by Borat?
Old 03-09-08, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This does look like a worthy UR version of a film. But I still don't buy Live Free Or Die Hard was intended to be R rated originally. So I'm not upset with the lack of an UR LFDH on Blu-ray. I've seen both versions of that film and the PG-13 version flows/works much better. Than the choppy mess that the UR version is with it's bad forced overdubbed profanty, and fake CGI blurry mess passing itself off as 'bullet hits' and 'blood'.

And I'm aware of what's said on the commentary. But I still don't buy it based on what's presented in the UR version of that film. At best,it was a heavily compromised production that was aiming for as low a rating as possible. And the comments about it originally meant to be R is just the filmmaker trying to please pissed off fans.

The screenwriter even mentions the 'motherfucker' bit from the famous line was written as obscured by gun shot to be 'original' and 'unexpected'. And the use of the full line in the UR version is obviously badly dubbed into the scene.

So all signs point to it aiming for a PG-13 with minor trims(based on the actual non-CGI violent/shot additions to UR version) to achieve the rating. And overall,PG-13 version of LFDH just works much better than the desperate 'ur' version.

But I can see based on the Hitman screen grabs. It would be a huge ripoff if Fox did not release the UR version of that on Blu-ray. So thumbs up and congrats in this case. But I don't think Fox deserves scorn for not doing the same with LFDH.
Old 03-10-08, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

RE: LFDH - So you think the 20+ F-bombs in the unrated LFDH were all dubbed in later? If they did say them while filming, how could they expect anything other than an R? True, both violence and language were toned down from the previous ones...but the language was still more than adequate. I can buy that maybe the studio hedged their bets and filmed a soft R so they could decide later.... but anyways...still doesn't excuse them from only releasing the theatrical on BR. Still waiting for the version I prefer...

Anyways I did enjoy Hitman, might pick it up on Blu. Too bad it wasn't a better movie, but it looks good and is a pretty slick 90-min action pic...kinda like Transporter imo.
Old 03-10-08, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
This does look like a worthy UR version of a film. But I still don't buy Live Free Or Die Hard was intended to be R rated originally. So I'm not upset with the lack of an UR LFDH on Blu-ray. I've seen both versions of that film and the PG-13 version flows/works much better. Than the choppy mess that the UR version is with it's bad forced overdubbed profanty, and fake CGI blurry mess passing itself off as 'bullet hits' and 'blood'.

And I'm aware of what's said on the commentary. But I still don't buy it based on what's presented in the UR version of that film. At best,it was a heavily compromised production that was aiming for as low a rating as possible. And the comments about it originally meant to be R is just the filmmaker trying to please pissed off fans.

The screenwriter even mentions the 'motherfucker' bit from the famous line was written as obscured by gun shot to be 'original' and 'unexpected'. And the use of the full line in the UR version is obviously badly dubbed into the scene.

So all signs point to it aiming for a PG-13 with minor trims(based on the actual non-CGI violent/shot additions to UR version) to achieve the rating. And overall,PG-13 version of LFDH just works much better than the desperate 'ur' version.

But I can see based on the Hitman screen grabs. It would be a huge ripoff if Fox did not release the UR version of that on Blu-ray. So thumbs up and congrats in this case. But I don't think Fox deserves scorn for not doing the same with LFDH.
As it stands, LFODH is one of the most poorly edited "big budget action flicks" I've seen, in both it's regular and UR cuts. IMO, it's a tough call as to which is the original, as they're both fairly choppy. Enjoyable flick regardless.

Hitman was just a bad movie, it seemed to me like it desperately wanted to be a Bourne-esque action/adventure flick (right down to the soundtrack) but fails miserably on just about every level. It wasn't entirely boring but it was mindnumbingly bad just the same.

Glad to see URs making it out on Blu, though. Hopefully we'll get some branching versions at some point.
Old 03-10-08, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Artman
RE: LFDH - So you think the 20+ F-bombs in the unrated LFDH were all dubbed in later? If they did say them while filming, how could they expect anything other than an R? True, both violence and language were toned down from the previous ones...but the language was still more than adequate. I can buy that maybe the studio hedged their bets and filmed a soft R so they could decide later.... but anyways...still doesn't excuse them from only releasing the theatrical on BR. Still waiting for the version I prefer...

Anyways I did enjoy Hitman, might pick it up on Blu. Too bad it wasn't a better movie, but it looks good and is a pretty slick 90-min action pic...kinda like Transporter imo.
The majority of it sounded badly dubbed in to my ears. And I decided to watch Die Hard With A Veangence not long afterwards. And the F bombs in that film flow naturally(+ you can see the actors saying the words) and don't feel like they were just tossed in after the fact. Unlike the majority of the language in LFDH.

The only obvious(to me) F word said on set is Justin Longs comment to an FBI agent. Since in the PG-13 version he said "Fuzzy head..." and it appears dubbed over. But otherwise the majority of the other F bombs were dubbed in when persons back was toward camera or not onscreen at all.

Also plenty of memorable one liners were deleted in the UR version which ruin the fun of some scenes,and make them choppy. The "That'll wake the neighbors" line is cut out...along with the shot of bad guys rushing up the stairs and around the corner. So in the UR version,there is a jarring cut to Willis yelling to 'get inside' the apartment. But we don't know why exactly,since we don't see the bad guys rushing the stairs. So the 'must move now' urgency of the scene is diminished quite a bit.

And it's things like that,the bad CGI blur additions to the violence,and painfully obvious dubbing of harder language that make me prefer the PG-13 version.
Old 03-10-08, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm a big Timothy Olyphant fan, so I'll be getting Hitman from Blockbuster Online tomorrow. However, given the mostly dreadful reviews, my hopes aren't very high.