Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray titles missing extras from DVD

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 03-08-08, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to track all the Blu-ray titles that fail to carry over the full slate of bonus materials from their standard DVD counterparts. Hopefully this will help a lot of us who want to avoid falling prey to potentially pre-planned double-dips by the studios and also let us know which DVD's we may want to hang on to for the time being.

So please post any that you know of so I can add them to my list. To keep things simple, I guess we can say it's okay if the only missing stuff is relatively inconsequential (like a missing foreign language track, or talent bios or something), but nothing substantial - no missing documentaries, featurettes, commentary tracks, deleted scenes, alternate cuts, original trailers, etc.

Blu-ray titles that are MISSING extras found on DVD's:

Black Hawk Down
The Departed
Die Hard
Die Hard 2
Die Hard with a Vengeance
Donnie Brasco (Extended Cut)
The Patriot (Extended Cut)
Planet Earth
The Terminator
Terminator 2: Judgment Day
Top Gun
Total Recall

Last edited by joliom; 03-14-08 at 04:54 AM.
Old 03-08-08, 03:54 PM

I think the Pirates of the Caribbean have all or more than the DVD.
Old 03-08-08, 05:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Road Warrior has the trailer that the sd had, + commentary for HD/Blu.
Old 03-08-08, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by steelpotato
The Road Warrior has the trailer that the sd had, + commentary for HD/Blu.
IIRC, the SD dvd has the Australian theatrical trailer, while the HD/Blu has what seems like the North American/Foreign trailer.
Old 03-09-08, 08:20 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Great idea for a thread. Scan thru the BluRay reviews here and you may find more for your list.
Old 03-09-08, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I think there are just too many to list. Warner has probably released around 150-200 titles, and most of them carry over the extras or even add more. Probably 85% or more of Universal's titles port them over, and most or all of Disney's titles from the past year have them too. The only Paramount titles I can think of that dropped extras are Top Gun and the aborted Jack Ryan Collection, but at least they have fewer titles to track down and list. Sony and Lionsgate have gotten much better about including them after those initial waves of MPEG-2 single-layer discs in 2006. New Line has included everything AFAIK. It's really only Fox (and by extension, MGM) at this point that continues to be bad about it, though there are exceptions here and there.

That's just the major (and almost major) studios. Who knows how many smaller labels carry over their extras? We probably would have to count those that were barebones on DVD, as those wouldn't actually be missing anything.

You'd probably be better off coming up with a list of titles that don't have all of the extras, with asterisks for titles like Serenity that had a SE on DVD after the HD DVD was already out.
Old 03-09-08, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 415 Likes on 300 Posts
Someone hasn't mentioned Cars and Ratatouille yets.
Old 03-10-08, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Drexl
I think there are just too many to list. Warner has probably released around 150-200 titles, and most of them carry over the extras or even add more. Probably 85% or more of Universal's titles port them over, and most or all of Disney's titles from the past year have them too. The only Paramount titles I can think of that dropped extras are Top Gun and the aborted Jack Ryan Collection, but at least they have fewer titles to track down and list. Sony and Lionsgate have gotten much better about including them after those initial waves of MPEG-2 single-layer discs in 2006. New Line has included everything AFAIK. It's really only Fox (and by extension, MGM) at this point that continues to be bad about it, though there are exceptions here and there.

That's just the major (and almost major) studios. Who knows how many smaller labels carry over their extras? We probably would have to count those that were barebones on DVD, as those wouldn't actually be missing anything.

You'd probably be better off coming up with a list of titles that don't have all of the extras, with asterisks for titles like Serenity that had a SE on DVD after the HD DVD was already out.
Point taken. I reversed the list.
Old 03-10-08, 06:13 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by joliom
Point taken. I reversed the list.
You'll need a mod to change your thread title.
Old 03-10-08, 09:02 PM

I put in a request already.
Old 03-11-08, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just started watching the Blu-ray version of Planet Earth and was STUNNED to discover that the extra "Planet Earth Diaries" (a 10-minute how-we-did-it video relating to each specific episode) were NOT included on this set. At 110 minutes total combined, that is QUITE a large omission of extras from the SD set. (And IMHO those diaries are almost if not more rivetting than the episodes themselves in some cases!)