Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Fox Digital Copy BD's will not have full DVD version as well

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 03-06-08, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

EDIT: upon further investigating the second disc probably DOESN'T have a standalone DVD version on it, just bad reading on my part and I can't delete this or edit the main thread title.

http://www.themanroom.com/news/Hitma...r_Preview/2253

'Hitman' Blu-ray Packaging Interior Preview
March 05, 2008
Next Tuesday, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release the unrated cut of Hitman on Blu-ray Disc.

What makes Hitman on Blu-ray special is the inclusion of a disc housing the standard definition copy of the special edition DVD release. This is the first Fox title to include this feature, which will continue to appear on all new theatrical releases moving forward.

We received our press copy of Hitman on Blu-ray today and popped it open for a look. As you can see, Fox made the effort to dress up the digital copy rather than throw in an ugly silver disc. Kudos to Fox.

Also included is an installation instruction card for transferring the standard definition version of Hitman to either a Mac or PC, into iTunes (Mac or PC) or Windows Media Player (PC only). The 16-digit serial number required to unlock the file is printed on the card, so it's not an insert you'll want to misplace.

Be on the lookout for our full review of Hitman on Blu-ray, already in the works.

Last edited by matome; 03-06-08 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-06-08, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i'm confused. is that second disc a DVD playable in a DVD player or is just a data DVD that contains a standard-def MPEG file of the movie?

either way, it seems pretty cool and i'm eager to see exactly how it works.
Old 03-06-08, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sounds like a great idea. It's good to hear that Fox will be doing this with all of their new theatrical releases going forward. I just hope they keep the MSRP low (haha)!

However, from the wording of the article, it seems a bit unclear as to whether the second disc houses a standard definition DVD presentation of the movie as well as a digital copy, or just a standard definition digital copy. Do we know for sure? How does Fox do it with their other SD DVD releases that include a digital copy (like Family Guy: Blue Harvest or Live Free or Die Hard)?

Not interested in Hitman myself, but I'm considering Fox's other turd of a movie AvP: Requiem.
Old 03-06-08, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I kinda figured it would be that way. Kudos to Fox, now I can understand why they want to plaster that banner on their releases.
Old 03-06-08, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If fox continues with the digital copy included its smart to see them include the standard dvd version as well. Its pretty annoying to have a second disc with Family Guy: Blue Harvest thats useless unless I put it in a computer.
Old 03-06-08, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Its just a digital copy...won't play in DVD players. Family guy blue harvest was the same thing.
Old 03-06-08, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What is the format of the digital copy?
Old 03-06-08, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Yavin
However, from the wording of the article, it seems a bit unclear as to whether the second disc houses a standard definition DVD presentation of the movie as well as a digital copy, or just a standard definition digital copy. Do we know for sure? How does Fox do it with their other SD DVD releases that include a digital copy (like Family Guy: Blue Harvest or Live Free or Die Hard)?
Yeah, upon second reading I'm not sure, as they do mention transferring the "standard definition" version to a PC which obviously you can't do with a normal DVD, but that second disc does have the DVD logo on it. I will edit the title in case and we'll have to wait for their review.
Old 03-06-08, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hopefully in the future, they will just use a sticker with "Digital Copy Included" on the packaging as opposed to plastering that ugly banner across the top.
Old 03-06-08, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by matome
Yeah, upon second reading I'm not sure, as they do mention transferring the "standard definition" version to a PC which obviously you can't do with a normal DVD, but that second disc does have the DVD logo on it. I will edit the title in case and we'll have to wait for their review.
I'm thinking it's only an SD digital copy and not an SD DVD housed on the second disc, as the banner on the top of the Blu-ray cover art only proclaims "Digital Copy". I'm sure if disc 2 housed an SD DVD of the film as well then Fox would tout that as well on the banner. Time will tell, I guess. I too wish that they would just promote the fact that it includes a digital copy as a sticker on top of the shrinkwrap and on the list of special features on the back cover rather than tacking on that terrible banner on the front cover.
Old 03-06-08, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I just found a review thread over at AVS on this (though the reviewer never actually used the second disc) and someone else mentioned this, which if true makes sense:

This Digital Copy disc 2 is the same one which comes with the 2-disc DVD special edition. Since Fox would not bother to include the DVD version of the film twice, it seems safe to say that the Digital Copy disc is only for PCs and Macs and doesn't have a regular DVD version.
Guess I wasn't the only one with reading comprehension issues:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1004330

Since when can't we delete our own threads???
Old 03-06-08, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Yavin
I too wish that they would just promote the fact that it includes a digital copy as a sticker on top of the shrinkwrap and on the list of special features on the back cover rather than tacking on that terrible banner on the front cover.
i agree wholeheartedly.

i'm guessing the DVD logo on the disc is actually the "DVD-ROM" logo. since they have to put the digital copy on a DVD, i wonder how much cheaper it is to provide a DVD ROM with a digital copy on it than to just include the pressed DVD.
Old 03-06-08, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by matome
Yeah, I just found a review thread over at AVS on this (though the reviewer never actually used the second disc) and someone else mentioned this, which if true makes sense:

Guess I wasn't the only one with reading comprehension issues:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1004330

Since when can't we delete our own threads???

You just PWNED yourself.
Old 03-06-08, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It is a cool thing for those who want it.

However, since I have no desire for a digital copy, I'm glad these are separate discs and not taking up space on the BD. Also, as I suspected, these titles will be good sources of 2-disc cases for custom special editions. Just switch the cover art with a that of a title that had extras dropped, and add the DVD with the missing extras.

Now I just have to wait for them to release a title with a digital copy that I actually want to buy. I don't see any on the horizon as of yet. Will other studios be doing this?
Old 03-06-08, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Lion's Gate is doing it with the new Rambo.
Old 03-06-08, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
You just PWNED yourself.
Yeah I did
Old 03-06-08, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't worry about it man. I'm glad this thread is here because I had no clue what they meant by digital copy.
Old 03-06-08, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I had no idea they were doing this either.

Time to set up a 2tb server that I never use since the HD version is sitting on the shelf. But awesome cool factor!
Old 03-06-08, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nice to see that Fox is allowing people to exercise their fair use rights through the use of a proprietary method, and at lower quality than what you paid for.

What sort of DRM will this "digital copy" contain?
Old 03-06-08, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You see, including the Standard DVD would definitely get me buying the Blu-ray version now even though I don't own a player.
Old 03-06-08, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet

What sort of DRM will this "digital copy" contain?
Dare I ask if one could convert the file so that it would be playable on a standalone player and burn it onto a disc?

I'm still waiting for Sony to start including files on their Blu-ray discs that can be put on a Memory Stick and played on the PSP, like they've been promising. But I guess they still want to milk their UMD sales for awhile yet.
Old 03-06-08, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cultshock
I'm still waiting for Sony to start including files on their Blu-ray discs that can be put on a Memory Stick and played on the PSP, like they've been promising. But I guess they still want to milk their UMD sales for awhile yet.
I'm still waiting for them to stop using DRM so I can just back up my disc without breaking the law.
Old 03-06-08, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
You see, including the Standard DVD would definitely get me buying the Blu-ray version now even though I don't own a player.
I think it would get a lot of people buying BD discs if they included a DVD version with it.

I went "Blu" two weeks ago, and although the PQ and the audio is much better; you lose a lot of that "convenience" when switching to Blu-ray.
Old 03-06-08, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cultshock
Dare I ask if one could convert the file so that it would be playable on a standalone player and burn it onto a disc?
I am assuming this will be of a lower resolution than DVD, or at least lower quality. It could even be reformatted for 16x9, as some UMDs were.

Don't hold your breath for them to include the DVD with it. Then people would sell or give away that version to someone who would otherwise pay for it. At least that's their thinking. Combo HD DVDs were different because the two versions were stuck together, so they could only be used in one player at a time.
Old 03-06-08, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I will bet good money the MPEG-4 file has dimensions of 640 x 256.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.