Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

General Blu-ray News and Discussion - Part 6

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

General Blu-ray News and Discussion - Part 6

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-08, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsa_shea
He was shot in the parking lot. He'll end up several pounds lighter if he ever shows up.
Old 03-14-08, 03:09 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by jiggawhat
Comparing the two is fallacious.
In your opinion, sure. Still these downloads could be taking away from DVD or BR sales. This does not even include XBL downloads which Disney sells a lot of on XBL.
Old 03-14-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
In your opinion, sure. Still these downloads could be taking away from DVD or BR sales. This does not even include XBL downloads which Disney sells a lot of on XBL.
Most people into downloading are into just watching the show/movie and not really interested in actually owning it regardless of the format. I have quite a few friends and relatives who are into shows and movies like me but have no desire to actually own those properties. Downloads are for them regardless if they were interested in SD or HD.
Old 03-14-08, 03:28 PM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Can you guys start a thread to talk about downloads? This is a Blu-ray discussion thread and it's getting annoying to always read about downloads...
Old 03-14-08, 03:33 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mod Note: We've all seen the download arguments before. Let's get back to Blu-ray.
Old 03-14-08, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6540698.html

Best Buy builds bigger space for Blu-ray

By Susanne Ault -- Video Business, 3/14/2008

MARCH 14 | Best Buy is moving out the old to make room for the new, as Blu-ray Disc becomes a larger merchandising focus.

Some of the chain’s stores are using new security packaging for all single and box set BD software, affixing clear plastic casing over the original disc case.

Outlets also are making room for multiple BD hardware demos, such as one Los Angeles location that features two Samsung displays, one Sony-branded station and one Sharp section. The manufacturer areas screen a variety of BD material, with one Samsung display rolling a format tutorial.

HD DVD stock is nearly wiped out on shelves of some Best Buy stores.

At one L.A. store, one BD standee held 35 facings, and in-line racks held more than 200 BD facings combined. The store had no HD DVD standees, and in-line racks amounted to space for about 120 facings.

Many HD DVD slots were vacant, however, and featured titles were down to one or two copies apiece. All HD DVD titles are marked at 30% off.

In early January, the store’s total facings were split, with 190 for BD and 110 for HD DVD.

Best Buy spokesman Brian Lucas said the chain is just getting started emphasizing BD as the only choice for high-definition.

“The stores will be evolving a lot. When you can focus on Blu-ray, it lets you finally focus on demonstrating solutions rather than options,” said Lucas. “Rather than having an HD DVD setup and Blu-ray setups, we are now freed up to” more efficiently satisfy customers.

Lucas said the new security packaging isn’t yet a national fixture, but that certain store managers are testing the best way to offer BD product.

Compared to standard DVDs, BD is sold at a premium price and might be at a higher risk for theft. In the Los Angeles stores, when BD got the security packaging around the first of February, standard DVD and HD DVD are sold without security cases.

The next noticeable high-def push, spanning TVs and BD hardware, should hit near the Summer Olympics, said Lucas.

“One thing we talk about with high-def awareness is that the purchase decision is dictated by trigger points,” he said. “Super Bowl and certainly the Olympics fall into that category as well.”
Old 03-14-08, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Fry's had a new BD end-cap today complete with a Sony Display (on top) and BD disks (at the bottom).

It definitely caught my attention.
Old 03-14-08, 04:25 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Fry's had a new BD end-cap today complete with a Sony Display (on top) and BD disks (at the bottom).

It definitely caught my attention.

Mine has had a nice lighted display up for about 2 months now. Looks really good.
Old 03-14-08, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Problem is that "premium" product is something people simply do not care about when faced with the fact that many people are losing their jobs right now, their homes, and the shirts of their back.
I can't speak for everyone, but if I were in danger of losing my job, my home, or the shirt off my back, buying movies on any format, much less upgrading them to a High Definition format, would be the last thing on my mind.

Last edited by Josh Z; 03-14-08 at 08:59 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-14-08, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
I disagree. when you are going thru hard or stressful times, that's when you need the cathartic release of entertainment even more...and we all know the most immersive vehicle for this is HDMs. Just as long as they steer clear of tier 2, 3, and 4 titles these people should be ok.
Old 03-15-08, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a random number I pulled out of the air.
That's what I thought.
Old 03-16-08, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I Am Legend is the biggest release since the format war ended. I wonder if it will be able to break the first week sales record?

Who has this record? Pirates 3? Spider-man 3? I can't remember.
Old 03-16-08, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I Am Legend is the biggest release since the format war ended. I wonder if it will be able to break the first week sales record?

Wasn't it 300?
Old 03-16-08, 08:54 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts

Wow really?

I never thought of this one as a big seller. I'm curious about the current biggest seller as well. 300 was an include with players, but I'd suspect that one as well. Or maybe Transformers.
Old 03-16-08, 09:32 PM
Suspended

If the Blu-ray version was the only one released, it would be top. Some people are still going to wait for the HD DVD version.
Old 03-16-08, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Cow
Wow really?

I never thought of this one as a big seller. I'm curious about the current biggest seller as well. 300 was an include with players, but I'd suspect that one as well. Or maybe Transformers.
Considering I Am Legend grossed $255 million in the US and Will Smith is probably the top draw right now, I thought this would have a great chance of being the new first week top seller. I thought Pirates 3 set the new record for first week sales in December. Around 160,000 copies?
Old 03-16-08, 10:21 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts
Considering I Am Legend grossed $255 million in the US and Will Smith is probably the top draw right now, I thought this would have a great chance of being the new first week top seller. I thought Pirates 3 set the new record for first week sales in December. Around 160,000 copies?
Yeah, I know the box office.

I saw it there too, and didn't think it had much replay value, that's why I was surprised. You are right, it may be a Will Smith thing.
Old 03-17-08, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think I Am Legend is gonna be a big release. It's still gonna be released on HD DVD even though officially the format war is over, it will still sell quite a bit on HD DVD.

I say Juno is gonna big. Big I tell ya!
Old 03-17-08, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Who farts around with that crap? I just restrict wireless access on the router to certain MAC addresses...

Besides it has to be wireless SOMEWHERE. Easier to configure the router when a PC is connected to it.
Restricting to specific MAC addresses is no substitute for wireless security, because it's not very hard to spoof a different MAC address. All you have to do is sniff the MAC address which from what I understand isn't that difficult.

Besides, I'm always putting things in and out of the network, fixing my dad's PC, etc. MAC address filtering is even more annoying than wireless security - you have to add each MAC for even wired devices.

It's a good add-on to wireless security, but not a substitute.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 03-17-08 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-17-08, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
Restricting to specific MAC addresses is no substitute for wireless security, because it's not very hard to spoof a different MAC address. All you have to do is sniff the MAC address which from what I understand isn't that difficult.
Still, it keeps the kids from sitting on my stoop and sucking up my bandwidth on their laptops and Nintendo DS's. Not sure from whom I'd be worried about "sniffing". There are at least 5 wireless networks on my block of row houses. You'd think you were guarding Fort Knox or something.
Old 03-17-08, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

HD Digest gave Bonnie & Clyde 4.5 video. Audio only got 2 stars, but it's only a mono mix. They couldn't find original elements to remix. Still, the video review is exciting to read. Can't wait to get this one.
Old 03-17-08, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
I disagree. when you are going thru hard or stressful times, that's when you need the cathartic release of entertainment even more...and we all know the most immersive vehicle for this is HDMs. Just as long as they steer clear of tier 2, 3, and 4 titles these people should be ok.
I'm pretty sure the people that used to work at Bear Stearns won't be buying in Blu-ray anytime soon.
Old 03-17-08, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
HD Digest gave Bonnie & Clyde 4.5 video. Audio only got 2 stars, but it's only a mono mix. They couldn't find original elements to remix. Still, the video review is exciting to read. Can't wait to get this one.
I will say thank god they couldn't remix it. I love the HD restorations, but I can do without the bad 5.1 remixes on some of these old movies. Mono is fine with me. I have my BD version on preorder and can't wait.
Old 03-17-08, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
I will say thank god they couldn't remix it. I love the HD restorations, but I can do without the bad 5.1 remixes on some of these old movies. Mono is fine with me. I have my BD version on preorder and can't wait.
Well to be honest, it might be kinda cool to have that final scene "eating the apple" in surround sound.
Old 03-17-08, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
Well to be honest, it might be kinda cool to have that final scene "eating the apple" in surround sound.
I guess my biggest issue is the fact they can't give you both soundtracks. 50GB of storage, but they refuse to also give you the original mono soundtrack.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.