Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

General Blu-ray News and Discussion - Part 6

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

General Blu-ray News and Discussion - Part 6

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-08, 06:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rfduncan
You'd think you were guarding Fort Knox or something.
I take it you don't know who the RIAA or MPAA is then, do you?

Or that you probably do have a neighborhood tech savvy kid who knows for a fact 99% of all computer users never change their admin password to something other than blank. With that info and a spoofed MAC addy, I own your machine. Or even better, I spoof your MAC, download all the music I want, and watch you lose your house to the RIAA when they come a knockin.

For my little rinky dink wireless network, its all RADIUS based security using certificates AND restricted MAC addresses. Nobody uses my network without my knowledge.
Old 03-17-08, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh1082

For my little rinky dink wireless network, its all RADIUS based security using certificates AND restricted MAC addresses. Nobody uses my network without my knowledge.

I'm using it right now....man these naked kids look fine.
Old 03-17-08, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Let's all put our tin foil hats down and get back down to business. So anyone got any news?
Old 03-17-08, 10:10 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Let's all put our tin foil hats down and get back down to business. So anyone got any news?
Uhh...No Country for Old Men looks amazing in Blu-ray. Just watched it and was blown away by the picture. Simply outstanding.
Old 03-18-08, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Uhh...No Country for Old Men looks amazing in Blu-ray. Just watched it and was blown away by the picture. Simply outstanding.
And this continues to show that Disney is absolutely the best, most consistent studio regarding audio/video.

It's funny though because for dvd, I don't think they were ever considered near the top. Remember how crappy Pirates 1 looked on dvd?

I think I'd rank Disney first, then Sony, and then WB. If WB fully supported lossless audio, they'd probably be #2.
Old 03-18-08, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

One thing I do wish all studios would start doing is provide all "new" extras on brand new releases in HD. There's no reason not to do that. There should be nothing in standard definition if it's a newly produced extra.
Old 03-18-08, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good news for Beowulf fans. Warner's UK release is confirmed to be region free. I should be receiving my copy fairly soon and will report back with audio and video details. Link for proof: http://www.blurayregioncodes.com/index.php?region=b
Old 03-18-08, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, my Beowulf BD will probably be here tomorrow, but I'll probably put it up for trade as I totally forgot I had it on preorder at Amazon UK. I had picked up the HD-DVD for $20 and I probably will never watch the movie again, so I dont want two. I believe the BD has a TrueHD track, which the HD-DVD doesn't.
Old 03-18-08, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
One thing I do wish all studios would start doing is provide all "new" extras on brand new releases in HD. There's no reason not to do that. There should be nothing in standard definition if it's a newly produced extra.
i wish for that also, but i'm not holding my breath. for years i've thought all extras on standard DVDs that have any widescreen content should be anamorphic, but that still hasn't happened with any consistency.
Old 03-20-08, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I'm using it right now....man these naked kids look fine.
Damn!
Old 03-21-08, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Definitely want to put a warning out there that the Sharp BD20 is a player to avoid. I did the most recent firmware and everything seemed fine on the last couple of discs I had played so I took this player with me to show off Blu-ray to a friend that was curious. I should have brought the PS3.

We started by watching Superbad. I had only watched this before on the PS3 and it loads in seconds. The loading screen on the Sharp took nearly 2 minutes the longest I have run across on BD. My friend was laughing out loud by the time the movie started. The movie played fine and he definitely thought it looked and sounded great, but then I played No Country for Old Men. Apparently the Sharp has an issue with this disc and the PCM track. Again my friend laughs at this new state of the art technology. We switch to the DD 5.1 track and again he was impressed with the video quality, but all the problems and slowness of the player completely turned him off.

I'm really hoping the BD 2.0 players finally end this crap once and for all. This format has zero chance of taking off when the standalone players are so unreliable and still so expensive to buy.

Again, morale of the story don't pay money for the Sharp BD players. I got one for free and it was barely worth that.
Old 03-21-08, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We got our for free and have seen similar issues.

Superior technology, my ass.
Old 03-21-08, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6543961.html

No Country Blu-ray sales on the rise

By Susanne Ault -- Video Business, 3/21/2008
MARCH 21 | Oscar Best Picture winner No Country for Old Men also is a winner on Blu-ray Disc.

Retailers report that the Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment March 11 release is generating 10% to 15% of its sales on Blu-ray, which is higher than the average 5% to 10% on major day-and-date DVD/BD new release.

DeepDiscount.com, Newbury Comics and Virgin Megastores all report No Country skewing higher Blu than other titles.

Store managers attribute No Country’s Blu-ray muscle to both the caché of the Oscar-decorated title and the fall of the HD DVD format.

Disney did not comment.

“We did over 100 on Blu-ray, and over 1,000 [overall] in the first week No Country was on sale,” said Ian Leshin, buyer for Newbury’s 27 New England stores. “That’s a big number. Since the HD DVD side of things folded, we have seen a marked improvement in Blu-ray sales. [Customers] are feeling comfortable buying into the format.”

David T. Barker, VP of ecommerce marketing for DeepDiscount parent Infinity Resources, said, No Country “is running at about 15% Blu-ray, which is stronger than normal. The format is certainly on the rise, but in my opinion, it’s the strength of the title.”

Retailers expect BD to continue to be an increasing part of titles’ sales. Barker also thought Disney’s March 18 release Enchanted should enjoy BD heft, as 8% of its sales were in the format on street date at DeepDiscount.

“We’re seeing key new release titles on Blu-ray, like No Country, exceed 10% of total sales,” said Chris Anstey, Virgin senior product manager. “This trend will continue on new releases as the format gradually comes into its own.”
Old 03-21-08, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was in a local Best Buy yesterday. They had a sign up above the HD DVD section stating they were shipping them all back at the end of the month. I hope this happens to the other locations. I'm ready for a large expansion of BD titles. There's plenty of catalog titles they can add.
Old 03-21-08, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts
I was in a local Best Buy yesterday. They had a sign up above the HD DVD section stating they were shipping them all back at the end of the month. I hope this happens to the other locations. I'm ready for a large expansion of BD titles. There's plenty of catalog titles they can add.
All for the low price of $29.99 each.
Old 03-22-08, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Bill Hunt had a large post about future BD plans from all the studios. Here's some parts of that:

"Each studio is currently busy planning and preparing its BD release slate for the rest of the year. I can tell you that there are a LOT of titles in the works for Blu-ray release later this year, but also that the general sense in the industry is that the floodgates are really going to start opening up in 2009, after the Blu-ray format is able to make its holiday sales pitch to consumers unopposed for the first time. In fact, I've learned that there are some very exciting titles set to debut in the 1st quarter of 2009. Unfortunately, we can't really talk about them right now, as specific titles, schedules and features are shifting around a lot at the moment. While many 2009 releases are already in production, that's still a long ways off in terms of actual release dates."

"And I can tell you with confidence that Paramount and Universal have many titles already in the works as well. Part of the problem, particularly for Paramount, is that they're well aware that they've upset many high-def consumers in recent months. There are also, as we've said previously, some remaining contractual and financial issues being resolved with Toshiba as well. The main thing is that both studios want to make a big positive splash with their Blu-ray efforts going forward, and so they're taking their sweet time to frame their plans. Neither studio wants to start announcing titles and dates until they're completely ready to make good."

"Meanwhile, what about Fox and MGM? Some of their release plans (through May and June) are already known. However, I'm told that many more catalog titles are in the works for possible release by the end of 2008, including such films as Walk the Line, the classic Batman: The Movie, The French Connection, Super Troopers, Fargo, the X-Men trilogy, the original Planet of the Apes, possibly Young Frankenstein and maybe even MGM musical titles, not to mention the expected new release films. And there are some great 2009 titles already being planned."

He also mentioned in his blu-ray.com insider thread that Serenity is definitely at the top of Universal's BD list.

He thinks titles from both Universal and Paramount could be on shelves by mid-year, if not sooner.

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 03-22-08 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-22-08, 11:28 AM
Suspended

Bill Hunt had a large post about future BD plans from all the studios. Here's some parts of that:

"Each studio is currently busy planning and preparing its BD release slate for the rest of the year. I can tell you that there are a LOT of titles in the works for Blu-ray release later this year, but also that the general sense in the industry is that the floodgates are really going to start opening up in 2009, after the Blu-ray format is able to make its holiday sales pitch to consumers unopposed for the first time. In fact, I've learned that there are some very exciting titles set to debut in the 1st quarter of 2009. Unfortunately, we can't really talk about them right now, as specific titles, schedules and features are shifting around a lot at the moment. While many 2009 releases are already in production, that's still a long ways off in terms of actual release dates."

"And I can tell you with confidence that Paramount and Universal have many titles already in the works as well. Part of the problem, particularly for Paramount, is that they're well aware that they've upset many high-def consumers in recent months. There are also, as we've said previously, some remaining contractual and financial issues being resolved with Toshiba as well. The main thing is that both studios want to make a big positive splash with their Blu-ray efforts going forward, and so they're taking their sweet time to frame their plans. Neither studio wants to start announcing titles and dates until they're completely ready to make good."

"Meanwhile, what about Fox and MGM? Some of their release plans (through May and June) are already known. However, I'm told that many more catalog titles are in the works for possible release by the end of 2008, including such films as Walk the Line, the classic Batman: The Movie, The French Connection, Super Troopers, Fargo, the X-Men trilogy, the original Planet of the Apes, possibly Young Frankenstein and maybe even MGM musical titles, not to mention the expected new release films. And there are some great 2009 titles already being planned."

He also mentioned in his blu-ray.com insider thread that Serenity is definitely at the top of Universal's BD list.

He thinks titles from both Universal and Paramount could be on shelves by mid-year, if not sooner.
I'm more interested in what new titles Paramount and Universal will be releasing vs titles already on HD DVD for 2 years. I know not everyone has an HD DVD player, but I and many others would be pissed if they just re-released all the HD DVD exclusive titles first rather then focusing on new catalog/new day and date releases.
Old 03-22-08, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Planet of the Apes! My favorite movie coming to Blu-Ray.
Can't wait to get my stinking paws on that disc.
Old 03-22-08, 11:50 AM

I'm more interested in what new titles Paramount and Universal will be releasing vs titles already on HD DVD for 2 years. I know not everyone has an HD DVD player, but I and many others would be pissed if they just re-released all the HD DVD exclusive titles first rather then focusing on new catalog/new day and date releases.
It seems to me that may be exactly what will happen, seeing how the HD transfers have already been produced for HD-DVD. Is it harder and more expensive to do fresh encodes for Blu-ray, or is it fast and cheap to just utilize existing elements?
Old 03-22-08, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think that it is in their best interest to just act as if HD DVD never existed, and release titles that will sell well, whether or not an HD DVD version already exists. Compared to the overall potential market, the number of customers who already own the HD DVD of a given title will be relatively small. Couple that with the fact that there are quite a few HD DVD owners who are still in the "I'll only buy Blu-ray when the players are as cheap as an A3" mode, I don't think they are (or should be) the primary demographic for the studios to target.

Personally, there are many later HD DVD titles that I passed on, primarily because I was hoping for an end to the war and an eventual Blu-ray release of those titles. I will be pretty upset if the studios take the approach that since an HD DVD version was already released at one point, then there is no market for a Blu-ray version of those titles.
Old 03-22-08, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Walk the Line, the classic Batman: The Movie, The French Connection, Super Troopers, Fargo, the X-Men trilogy, the original Planet of the Apes, possibly Young Frankenstein and maybe even MGM musical titles, not to mention the expected new release films. And there are some great 2009 titles already being planned."
Of that list Young Frankenstein is at the top for me. Good Night and Good Luck and Casablanca were both gorgeous in HD and I'm betting this one will be amazing as well. I want more black and white films in HD definitely.
Old 03-22-08, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In for all of those Fox titles permitting the treatment is done well. Glad to see them readying some big titles!

Hopefully Fight Club, The Abyss, True Lies, and the original Alien films are not far behind.
Old 03-22-08, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Walk the Line and X-Men 1 & 2 with lossless audio and 1080p video. Heaven, just heaven.
Old 03-22-08, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
In for all of those Fox titles permitting the treatment is done well. Glad to see them readying some big titles!

Hopefully Fight Club, The Abyss, True Lies, and the original Alien films are not far behind.
Yeah I'd love to see those released. The ones Fox announced don't exactly have me jumping for joy.
Old 03-22-08, 01:37 PM
Suspended

Fight Club and both X-Mens would make me happy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.