Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

bitstream or uncompressed pcm for ps3?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

bitstream or uncompressed pcm for ps3?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-08, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bitstream or linear pcm for ps3?

I got a ps3 this weekend and am wondering what to set my audio output to? It is hooked up to a 5.1 surround sound system with hdmi. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by hapgilmore; 02-26-08 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-26-08, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

sorry I meant to say linear pcm, not uncompressed.
Old 02-26-08, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
If you have an HDMI receiver you want to use linear PCM and let the PS3 decode the advanced codecs.
Old 02-26-08, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by darkside
If you have an HDMI receiver you want to use linear PCM and let the PS3 decode the advanced codecs.
i have my PS3 hooked up to my Onkyo 605 HDMI reciever currently but i have set the audio output to Bitstream instead - is it really better to put it to Linear PCM?

what would i be missing out on if I were to leave it at Bitstream?
Old 02-27-08, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by InnocentBlood
i have my PS3 hooked up to my Onkyo 605 HDMI reciever currently but i have set the audio output to Bitstream instead - is it really better to put it to Linear PCM?

what would i be missing out on if I were to leave it at Bitstream?
I have the 705, and use Bitstream on my PS3, but beware, if the BR has a TrueHD track, it can't bitstream that, so I believe it downsamples to DD. So when listening to a TrueHD track you should change to LinearPCM. (Or always keep it on that).
Old 02-27-08, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by redbill
So when listening to a TrueHD track you should change to LinearPCM. (Or always keep it on that).
Which is pretty much what I have been doing. Note that while several Blu-ray discs contain uncompressed audio options, it is rarely selected by default (e.g. LOST S3) so always check your audio setup on each disc (of course if you're asking this, you already probably KNOW to check that).
Old 02-27-08, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
Which is pretty much what I have been doing. Note that while several Blu-ray discs contain uncompressed audio options, it is rarely selected by default (e.g. LOST S3) so always check your audio setup on each disc (of course if you're asking this, you already probably KNOW to check that).
I've also run across some discs, can't remember if it was HD or BD, where I couldn't find a menu option to select the uncompressed tracks, and I had to cycle through the audio options using the remote.
Old 02-27-08, 10:25 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
You shouldn't always keep it on one or the other because the PS3 can't pass bitstreams. As already mentioned in order to decode Dolby TrueHD you need to be set to LinearPCM, but for everything else you need to be set to bitstream for it to be sent to your receiver (especially DTS-HD's core) properly.

It's a pain in the ass, but at least you can change the settings on the fly from the PS3's settings menu from within a movie.
Old 02-29-08, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Eric F
You shouldn't always keep it on one or the other because the PS3 can't pass bitstreams. As already mentioned in order to decode Dolby TrueHD you need to be set to LinearPCM, but for everything else you need to be set to bitstream for it to be sent to your receiver (especially DTS-HD's core) properly.

It's a pain in the ass, but at least you can change the settings on the fly from the PS3's settings menu from within a movie.
so let me get this straight:

if i was watching Spider-Man 3, which has Dolby TrueHD, i want to set to Linear PCM - right?

and if i was watching Die Hard 4, which has DTS HD, i want to set to Bitstream - did i get that right?

what about titles like Black Hawk Down which has Uncompressed PCM 5.1 - what should i set for this?

thanks for helping me out with this Eric
Old 02-29-08, 01:17 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by InnocentBlood
so let me get this straight:

if i was watching Spider-Man 3, which has Dolby TrueHD, i want to set to Linear PCM - right?

and if i was watching Die Hard 4, which has DTS HD, i want to set to Bitstream - did i get that right?

what about titles like Black Hawk Down which has Uncompressed PCM 5.1 - what should i set for this?

thanks for helping me out with this Eric
Set everything to PCM.

When you play PCM audio, it will send the PCM audio direct.

When you play TrueHD audio, it will convert the entire track to PCM with 0 loss and play it as PCM.

When you play DTS HD MA, it will use the Core track (1.5 bitrate) and convert that to PCM and send it to the receiver. Once the PS3 gets the ability to decode DTS HD MA, it will convert the main Lossless track to PCM, but till then, you get the 1.5 track converted to PCM. All other formats are decodable by the PS3 including DD+, etc.
Old 03-02-08, 09:32 AM

Please excuse me if I'm beating a dead horse, but I was just about to return/exchange my Spiderman Trilogy on Blu-Ray cuz I thought the discs were bad. I have typical outdated 5.1 setup using optical. When I have the optical sound option set to Bitstream for any of the Spiderman Movies I get 5.1 through the receiver but the sounds drops out a lot. I was thinking it was bad discs. It sounds like I may have just run into my first TRUE HD audio only track. So this is not a compatible configuration?....The dropouts are normal because I shouldn't be playing the track in the first place without an updated receiver with HDMI support/True-HD support?....I was working off of the assumption that you set the audio on the PS3 to bitstream and the PS3 does the rest no ,matter what the track type...which is what the XBOX 360 does when using the HD-DVD add on. Any advice would be appreciated. I just hate to exchange the movies when it want matter anyway.

Thanks in advance......