Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

No more 360 HD DVD Drives

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

No more 360 HD DVD Drives

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-08, 01:50 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by Viper187
They'll claim it's an online special or some shit and refuse to. This is BB we're talking about.
I've never heard of them doing that and have matched their online price dozens of times.

Besides, it is $50 in store as well anyway.
Old 02-25-08, 01:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
I've never heard of them doing that and have matched their online price dozens of times.

Besides, it is $50 in store as well anyway.
Well, I was thinking more of picking up Top Gun. They still want $25 in store, but it's $15 online.
Old 02-25-08, 02:05 PM

just picked up a 360 drive at the wyomissing,pa bestbuy today. They stilll had about a dozen or so left as of 3pm today. I went to the blueshirt to verify price. He said it was $50 before I even asked. So if you want one and arein the area, stop by there
Old 02-25-08, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by oppie1
I went to the blueshirt to verify price. He said it was $50 before I even asked.
Remember that going to a blueshirt for a price isn't going to work much of the time.

The computer changes the prices, and there is no way for any employee to keep up with even a fraction of the real prices. Also, many times the price will ring up as full, but then lower after the cashier hits total and the "package price" is found.

So asking a BB employee for the price or even doing a pricecheck is a waste of time.
Old 02-25-08, 02:43 PM

Remember that going to a blueshirt for a price isn't going to work much of the time.

The computer changes the prices, and there is no way for any employee to keep up with even a fraction of the real prices. Also, many times the price will ring up as full, but then lower after the cashier hits total and the "package price" is found.

So asking a BB employee for the price or even doing a pricecheck is a waste of time.
It wouldn't work in this situation since that is the new price of the drive, and not a special price. It should ring up as $50
Old 02-25-08, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Wonder if they would make a BD player add on?? Seriously doubt it, but interesting none the less.
Not likely, since they didn't really sell a lot of the HD-DVD drives. They would also have to write a Blu-ray interface into the software. I don't think MS would think it was worth the effort.
Old 02-25-08, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by aintnosin
Not likely, since they didn't really sell a lot of the HD-DVD drives. They would also have to write a Blu-ray interface into the software. I don't think MS would think it was worth the effort.
But they've already built it. Didn't you see the photoshop picture?
Old 02-25-08, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
$50 for 6 movies, a 360 remote, and a drive usable on the 360 and PC is a darn fine deal.
Agreed - I just ordered one for in-store pickup at BB.
Old 02-25-08, 04:42 PM

Well, I'm in. At $50, I finally caved and went HD.

I was content with my Dish Network subscription, especially with the Monsters HD channel (love it!).

It's not that I was sitting out the format war, it's just that I've really cut back on my buying and there wasn't too much on HD media that interested me. I used to be like a lot of you - completely addicted to buying DVDs. I stopped years ago and my rule now for buying a title is: It has to be a movie I love, and it has to be something I would watch more than once a year. That REALLY cut down on my buying.

But at $50...

Now, I'm going to send the rebate in, but I don't expect to get them. I'm almost certain Toshiba will pull the 'while supplies last' bit and not honor these flood of rebates they are going to get. While that stinks, I'm still happy with the steal I got at $50 for the drive, King Kong, and the remote. And if I do get the free movies, well, it will be a killer deal.

I'm not going to go crazy on buying media. There's probably about a dozen titles I want and I don't plan to rush out and buy them all at once. If there are some good sales ~ $10 (the $12 DDD sales will definitely get some of money), then I may splurge and pickup a few extras.

Eventually I'll go blu, too, but that is even further off, so I may even get a few HD-DVD imports at some point to tide me over.
Old 02-25-08, 05:55 PM
Banned

so if Best Buy reduced players like this, is there any reason to believe they'll cut prices on some HD-DVDs too?
Old 02-26-08, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I picked up my second 360 add-on from BB today. They had about 9 left on the shelf. I played around with PowerDVD ultra but I still could not get HD movies to play. I think the problem is my 7800 GS video card. Here is a little app you can run to see if your system meets all the requirements.

HD-DVD/BD Advisor

I was able to rip though.
Old 02-26-08, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by edstein
I picked up my second 360 add-on from BB today. They had about 9 left on the shelf. I played around with PowerDVD ultra but I still could not get HD movies to play. I think the problem is my 7800 GS video card. Here is a little app you can run to see if your system meets all the requirements.

HD-DVD/BD Advisor

It is your card, but FWIW, there are drivers available on the .net that will allow your card to play this stuff. It seems NVIDIA deliberately disabled playback on these because they might stutter if the processor isn't up to snuff.
Old 02-26-08, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wewantflair
It is your card, but FWIW, there are drivers available on the .net that will allow your card to play this stuff. It seems NVIDIA deliberately disabled playback on these because they might stutter if the processor isn't up to snuff.
Thanks, I'll look into that.
Old 02-27-08, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Just curious, but...

Will this drive work as an external DVD/HD DVD drive for a laptop?
Old 02-27-08, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by clappj
Will this drive work as an external DVD/HD DVD drive for a laptop?
Yes.

But remember that a computer has to be fairly hearty w/ a very good video card to play HD.
Old 02-27-08, 04:26 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Yes.

But remember that a computer has to be fairly hearty w/ a very good video card to play HD.

If it works on a laptop, can it be plugged directly into a TV monitor?
Old 02-27-08, 04:28 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
If it works on a laptop, can it be plugged directly into a TV monitor?
Sure, if your TV has a very good video card and a strong enough processor.
Old 02-27-08, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by edstein

HD-DVD/BD Advisor

yeah, after looking at the previously-posted requirements, i don't have a beefy enough video card, so i decided not to bite on it. i was only considering it as a cheap backup for my A35, but i can probably get a clearance A3 for cheaper than the drive + new video card and would prefer a standalone anyway.
Old 02-27-08, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
Sure, if your TV has a very good video card and a strong enough processor.
...and if the TV has PowerDVD Ultra or other hi-def disc playing software installed on it
Old 02-27-08, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
I'm so glad I sold my 360 add-on last week to Play 'N' Trade for $80. Sold about 15 HD-DVDs to Hastings last week too. Goodbye HD-DVD!
Old 03-19-08, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts
Now down to $37.00 at Kmart.