Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk mentioned!

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

DVD Talk mentioned!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-08, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DVD Talk mentioned!

Now I don't know if this has been posted somewhere here or not, but here it is!

(Mods: Please delete if you see fit.)

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2008/02/21/3282155.htm

Retailers Launch HD DVD Fire Sales

(TechwebNews.com Via Thomson Dialog NewsEdge) As HD DVD heads to an early grave following the loss of key proponent Toshiba, retailers have launched fire sales to dump players and movie titles in the high-definition format.

Amazon.com, which announced Wednesday that it would only promote HD DVD rival Blu-ray, on Wednesday was offering major Hollywood movies in the losing format at 30% to 50% off the original price. The titles included Transformers, all three Bourne films in a package, American Gangster, 300, Beowulf, and the director's cut of Zodiac.

Toshiba, which said last week that it would stop selling HD DVD players, recorders, and disc drives for PCs by the end of March, slashed the price of its HD-A3 player from $150 to $100. The player was available online on Amazon and on Circuit City. At the latter, the player came with two movies, Bourne Identity and 300.

To help people find HD DVD movies and players at bargain prices, the site DVD Talk launched an online forum called "The Official HD DVD Fire Sale Clearance Thread."

Following Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group's decision earlier this month to stop shipping movies in HD DVD by the end of the year, Microsoft slashed in half the price of its HD DVD video player for the Xbox 360 video game console. The player now sells for $129.

Companies that dropped support for HD DVD, including Wal-Mart and Best Buy, said it was necessary to eliminate customer confusion over having to choose between two competing and incompatible technologies. Most consumers have shunned high-definition DVDs and players to avoid being on the losing end of the format war, which was reminiscent of the battle between Betamax and VHS in the early days of videocassette recorders. VHS eventually won over Sony-backed Betamax.

One of the key reasons Sony won the format war was the inclusion of a Blu-ray disc player with the PlayStation 3. Sony sold more than 2.5 million PlayStation 3s last year, according to the NPD Group.

Copyright ? 2008 CMP Media LLC
Launched an online forum

WE DID???

-THEEK!

Last edited by The Edit King; 02-21-08 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-21-08, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Edit King

(Mods: Please delete if you see fit.)

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2008/02/21/3282155.htm

Retailers Launch HD DVD Fire Sales

(TechwebNews.com Via Thomson Dialog NewsEdge) As HD DVD heads to an early grave following the loss of key proponent Toshiba, retailers have launched fire sales to dump players and movie titles in the high-definition format.

Amazon.com, which announced Wednesday that it would only promote HD DVD rival Blu-ray, on Wednesday was offering major Hollywood movies in the losing format at 30% to 50% off the original price. The titles included Transformers, all three Bourne films in a package, American Gangster, 300, Beowulf, and the director's cut of Zodiac.

Toshiba, which said last week that it would stop selling HD DVD players, recorders, and disc drives for PCs by the end of March, slashed the price of its HD-A3 player from $150 to $100. The player was available online on Amazon and on Circuit City. At the latter, the player came with two movies, Bourne Identity and 300.

To help people find HD DVD movies and players at bargain prices, the site DVD Talk launched an online forum called "The Official HD DVD Fire Sale Clearance Thread."

Following Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group's decision earlier this month to stop shipping movies in HD DVD by the end of the year, Microsoft slashed in half the price of its HD DVD video player for the Xbox 360 video game console. The player now sells for $129.

Companies that dropped support for HD DVD, including Wal-Mart and Best Buy, said it was necessary to eliminate customer confusion over having to choose between two competing and incompatible technologies. Most consumers have shunned high-definition DVDs and players to avoid being on the losing end of the format war, which was reminiscent of the battle between Betamax and VHS in the early days of videocassette recorders. VHS eventually won over Sony-backed Betamax.

One of the key reasons Sony won the format war was the inclusion of a Blu-ray disc player with the PlayStation 3. Sony sold more than 2.5 million PlayStation 3s last year, according to the NPD Group.

Copyright ? 2008 CMP Media LLC

WE DID???

-THEEK!
Heck,more people probably visit this site than that one
Old 02-21-08, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

...well, of course they do!

DVD Talk is R-I-G-H-T-E-O-U-S-L-Y A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!!

Besides, any positive mention is a GOOD THANG & Promotes the site!

-FOR THEEK'S SAKE!

Last edited by The Edit King; 02-21-08 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Because I have many correctional issues.
Old 02-21-08, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NEUMANN
Heck,more people probably visit this site than that one
No kidding!

I visit the site about 10 times a day for the past 9+ years.
Old 02-21-08, 10:37 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKobra
No kidding!

I visit the site about 10 times a day for the past 9+ years.
Tell me about it...

From the time I joined DVDTalk to now I could have been a friggin Doctor!
Old 02-22-08, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Or like Geoff...

A BLOOMIN' MILLIONAIRE!!!
Old 02-22-08, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Edit King
Yup, Page 4 Post #99 of the actual thread mentioned in the article:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....1&page=4&pp=25