Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Are the HD releases of Lethal Weapon 1/2 just the theatricals?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 02-20-08, 05:12 PM
Banned

Judging from the times listed on DD and the box art they are. This sucks. After having the DCs around since VHS they still didn't think to do a proper release. I hate waiting for all these titles to get double dipped already. I don't suppose the director's cuts got international release or something?
Old 02-20-08, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, theatricals only. Though IIRC correctly the added back scenes in the director's cuts are in the deleted scenes section of the supplements.
Old 02-20-08, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I noticed that on my Lethal Weapon Blu-ray after I gave my old DVD away that was the Director's cut. If I didn't pay $15 for it, I'd be a little peeved.
Old 02-20-08, 06:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by matome
Though IIRC correctly the added back scenes in the director's cuts are in the deleted scenes section of the supplements.
So what? I want to watch them as part of the movie, not separately. Guess this is one thing I won't have to spend the money to upgrade for a while.
Old 02-21-08, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No need to get snippy. Just adding info for those who may not have been aware of the fact. I noticed you cut out the part of my response where I actually answered your question.
Old 02-22-08, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The "director's cuts" of these films were just a marketing gimmick. The extra scenes don't add anything worthwhile. Richard Donner got his cut the way he wanted it the first time around.
Old 02-22-08, 04:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Josh Z
The "director's cuts" of these films were just a marketing gimmick. The extra scenes don't add anything worthwhile.
The hell they don't. The theatrical of LW1 always had Murtaugh saying to Riggs "I heard about that little stunt you pulled earlier. Pretty heroic." The director's cut actually shows what the hell he was talking about (the sniper at the playground). Awesome scene, IMO. I won't watch the movie anymore without it.
Old 02-22-08, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Viper187
The hell they don't. The theatrical of LW1 always had Murtaugh saying to Riggs "I heard about that little stunt you pulled earlier. Pretty heroic." The director's cut actually shows what the hell he was talking about (the sniper at the playground). Awesome scene, IMO. I won't watch the movie anymore without it.
He could've been referring to the scene with the drug dealers. I prefer the theatrical cut personally.

BTW, doesn't the HD-DVD/Blu-ray release of Legal Wreckin leave off the sniper scene in the supplements?
Old 02-23-08, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Viper187
No, Josh is right. The theatrical cuts of all four films are Richard Donner's director's cuts. Warner Bros. added all those scenes independently as marketing for Lethal 4 ten years ago. And aside from the sniper scene, the added scenes (especially in 2 and 3) are utterly worthless. Riggs brings a new TV home? Wow, how did I ever follow the story without that bit of info present in the theatrical? The problem with the sniper scene is that you also have the drug dealer scene as that "little heroic stunt" Rog mentions. When you're trying to move the story along at as quick a pace as possible, two heroic stunts is one too many. Donner obviously felt the drug dealers was the better scene overall. If he had chosen the sniper scene instead back in 1987, we'd all be talking about how cool the drug dealer scene is now. Pay attention and you'll notice almost all of the additions to Lethal 1 happen right up front. There's very little changed as you get further into the film.