Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official HD DVD Clearance Sale Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official HD DVD Clearance Sale Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-08, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by obidawsn
For those who called or went by and they didn't have the sale, I would check back. Like I said, there was nothing posted when I went because they hadn't put them out yet. The guy was just nice enough to tell me about it when I asked and pointed me to a stack of discs in the floor next to the office door. So this is something that just came down and some stores may not have gotten around to doing it yet or haven't seen the memo, yet.
Do all HV's carry HD DVDs? The one I called said that they don't carry high definition DVDs, but I'm starting to wonder if she misunderstood me and didn't want me to go buy 'obsolete' discs...
Old 02-22-08, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by treant985
Do all HV's carry HD DVDs? The one I called said that they don't carry high definition DVDs, but I'm starting to wonder if she misunderstood me and didn't want me to go buy 'obsolete' discs...
I have three within a 10 mile radius of where I live. Only one of them has ever carried HD DVD/Blu ray discs, and mainly because its a newer store that opened up after the launch of high definition media. I think it's YMMV.
Old 02-22-08, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Would any of you recommend purchasing a refurbished player from Overstock?
I bought a refurbed HD-XA2 at Overstock a couple of weeks ago for under $250. I am very pleased with the purchase and the player.
Old 02-22-08, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by mcfly
It says it's not available... hmm.
Sorry, it was there at the time of my post and sure enough, it's gone now.

Mine also has been in "in process" since yesterday afternoon and supposedly they say that "most" products ship the next business day. Hope it ships and they don't cancel it.
Old 02-22-08, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those who got turned down by Hollywood might want to try again after today. I work at one and today we got a letter from the corporate office telling us to put all HD-DVDs for sale.
Old 02-22-08, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Originally Posted by The Edit King
That's where I bought my XA1 and I've never had a problem with it!
Good to hear. Because that price really has me tempted to not wait another instant and just pull the trigger.

What are your thoughts on Value Electronics? I see it's pricier but it's new in box (think).

And is the DV HD805 essentially a renamed XA2 or a renamed A35?
Old 02-22-08, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffrey r
I bought a refurbed HD-XA2 at Overstock a couple of weeks ago for under $250. I am very pleased with the purchase and the player.
Wow! How'd you manage to get it so low?
Old 02-22-08, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by mcfly
I'm pretty much sold on that then.

The Free Movies deal ends on the 28th.. do they let you fax in copies or does it all have to be mailed in? I wouldn't want to miss the cutoff date..

Mail it in: Purchase must be by 2/28/08 with "request" postmarked by 3/31/08.

http://www.thelookandsoundofperfect....ption_form.pdf
Old 02-22-08, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Stopped by my HV and they had a few for sale (maybe 15 titles total), but I picked up Elizabeth: The Golden Age, Balls of Fury, Hot Rod and The Fast and the Furous 3.
Old 02-22-08, 01:05 PM

Picked up Knocked Up, Transformers, V for Vendetta and HP:OOP. They were all in DVD cases with their original sleeves. However, the cashier let me grab 2 cases off the shelf that showed as sold (Happy Feet, BoB). V was the only one that had the original box as the display case.

Looks like none of the newest stuff was out other than Elizabeth and Michael Clayton IIRC.

The other thing was that it didn't ring up as 2/$20 before I used the BOGO coupon. Not that I expected it but I would have thought they would have subtotaled at 2/$20 since I bought 4.

So the coupon only took one movie off, I'm going to go back and return/rebuy later today w/BOGO coupon. $8 and some change is still a hot deal.
Old 02-22-08, 01:13 PM

Went to my local Blockbuster here in Canada hoping to find a clearance, and got an answer I never expected when I asked them about potential "used" sales because of Toshiba and HD's state;

"That's news to us, we're actually expanding our HD DVD and Blu Ray section. If you come by in a couple weeks it should be twice as big as it is now"

I then said "Are you sure you're expanding 'HD DVD'? They stopped making the players?" and the manager said "I would have heard something about that, all I know is we're expanding"
Old 02-22-08, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

at Blockbuster.
Old 02-22-08, 01:20 PM
Cool New Member

A35 is now 199 + tax at circuitcity.com

Last edited by jimp; 02-22-08 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-22-08, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by jimp
A35 is now 199 + tax at circuitcity.com
Come on Amazon, you can do it!
Old 02-22-08, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by splattii2
Went to my local Blockbuster here in Canada hoping to find a clearance, and got an answer I never expected when I asked them about potential "used" sales because of Toshiba and HD's state;

"That's news to us, we're actually expanding our HD DVD and Blu Ray section. If you come by in a couple weeks it should be twice as big as it is now"

I then said "Are you sure you're expanding 'HD DVD'? They stopped making the players?" and the manager said "I would have heard something about that, all I know is we're expanding"

Did you tell him about the internets?
Old 02-22-08, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Wow! How'd you manage to get it so low?
When in stock, the refurbed HD-XA2 is $269.99 (same as the higher priced one on Overstock). I used a 10% off coupon floating around. With shipping, it was about $245. Throw in a few more bucks off through a rebate site, and it cost me under $240. You can sign up to be notified if/when these come back in stock at Overstock. Mine showed up in like-new condition, with the correct remote, user's manual, cheapo cables. I had the 2.7 firmware ready to go, and this player is a steal at this price.

Here's the link (again, OOS right now):

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...5/product.html

Last edited by jeffrey r; 02-22-08 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-22-08, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffrey r
When in stock, they are $269.99. I used a 10% off coupon floating around. With shipping, it was about $245. Throw in a few more bucks off through a rebate site, and it cost me under $240. You can sign up to be notified if/when these come back in stock at Overstock. Mine showed up in like-new condition, with the correct remote, user's manual, cheapo cables. I had the 2.7 firmware ready to go, and this player is a steal at this price.

Here's the link (again, OOS right now):

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...5/product.html
Why do they have a separate product page with it available?

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...r&keywords=xa2
Old 02-22-08, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Why do they have a separate product page with it available?

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...r&keywords=xa2
I edited my post above, but basically, they have 2 listings for the XA2 b/c they have 2 suppliers. For whatever reason, one is $349.99, and one is $269.99. When I ordered the cheaper one a couple of weeks ago, I wondered what I was going to get, but it was a legit refurb, 90-day warranty from Toshiba, brand new remote, user's manual, etc. So that's the one to get if/when they are in stock. It went out of stock and came back in stock once already, and they got about 40 more in at that time. So if you want one, I'd sign up to get notified if they come back in stock.
Old 02-22-08, 01:51 PM

Went back to the Hollywood Video I was at yesterday... they had a copy of American Gangster that they "swore" they didn't have last night... so I got that and Elizabeth: The Golden Age.
Old 02-22-08, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
Originally Posted by Bob330i
Come on Amazon, you can do it!
Ya come on I need me an A35. The window of opportunity is winding down to get in on the 5 free HD DVD deal. I need to make a move in the next few days or so.
Come on Amazon I will bite at $150 you can do it.
Old 02-22-08, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by steebo777

Did you tell him about the internets?
lol. After repeating myself twice, she started to look at me like I was a moron. I figure why help the manager (who's also the store owner in this case) when she made the facial expression she did. Instead, I'll let her load up on HD titles so when there is a fire sale, I'll have a better selection of titles to choose from!
Old 02-22-08, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by matrixrok9
I don't know if you're accusing the poster of lying but other posts, including mine, have confirmed the sale.
I'm not accusing anyone of lying, (in fact i resent that implication) i'm just saying that if there's a sale going on in my area, the employees have no friggin clue. i totally believe every poster here about their deals and i am genuinely happy for them, i just am sad my hollywood videos don't get the memos.
Old 02-22-08, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the heads-up! I stopped in on my lunch break. They had a 2 for $20 sign above the HD-DVDs but the manager was pulling it down. I asked and he said that it was falling down and the deal was still good. ??

Anyway, I picked up at $10 a piece:

Elizabeth: The Golden Age
Flag of our Fathers
Constantine
Eastern Promises
Transformers
Batman Begins

I would have passed on Transformers but I needed an even 6. I would have picked up Zodiac but I think the wife already picked it up.

Flags was unlocked...I eyed up the bottom of the discs and it looked almost flawless. I suppose because almost no one ever rents the HD/BD stuff

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 02-22-08 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-22-08, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
They had a $2 for $20 sign...
Hmm... That doesn't seem like a good deal. I hope it's at least a $2 bill.
Old 02-22-08, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Numes
Hmm... That doesn't seem like a good deal. I hope it's at least a $2 bill.
$10 a pop?? How is that not a good deal??

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.